Patshahi Mehima - Revisiting Sikh Sovereignty

Premi

https://www.khalishouse.com/store/Patshahi-Mehima-Revisiting-Sikh-Sovereignty-p408742089

Patshahi Mehima - Revisiting Sikh Sovereignty

Starting with the arrival of Gurū Nānak Sāhib, the book revisits the revolutionary rise of the Sikh Panth covering over five hundred and fifty years of history. Ranveer Singh presents how the Gurū Sāhibān proactively created new paradigms of existence that offered a liberating alternative to the clutches of totalitarian and oppressive power structures built and tied to haumai. While Sikh consciousness was at the nucleus of this transformation, the author presents how the doctrine of Sikh sovereignty was integral to this process, allowing the praxis of Gurmat to exist independently through the standing of Gurū’s Darbār, and the manifestations of Sikh Rāj that followed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Patshahi-Mehima-Revisiting-Sikh-Sovereignty/dp/1838143734/ref=sr_1_1?qid=1643480328&refinements=p_27%3ARanveer+Singh&s=books&sr=1-1&asin=1838143734&revisionId=&format=4&depth=1

'image.thumb.png.841b4b442172a6f27262cfa3d0ac45c1.png7

@dalsingh101 - what you think ?

• 3 months later...
17 hours ago, Sajjan_Thug said:

Wouldn't this be a great opportunity for sampradays to work with him and support him and promote him?  If sampradays aren't willing to do the research at least they should promote the one who is.

This guy seems to be doing a grand job of promoting the work himself by the looks of it. I would like to know how people back home react to it. But it's probably going to be a work that is a world away from what they are familiar with. Personally I think back home (for a variety of reasons) are well behind in terms of where Sikhi studies is going in the diaspora, mainly because they are constrained by having to constantly try and teach generally semi-literate folks or folks who have limited education - on top of all the twisted politics out there.     

Would you put the blame on the west or apney?

Both, but I'd definitely put more blame on apnay for failing to develop and promote a robust, respected, intellectual culture amongst our own. But then you could also argue that the majority of apnay are averse to such things and are operating at a more base level (i.e. lower down on Maslow's hierarchy of needs). We can't discount the legacy of this (below) though, but not having addressed it and corrected our moorings since then is squarely on us:

17 hours ago, Sajjan_Thug said:

Which organization and institution from apney side do you believe is confronting this and charting a new course for the panth?

I don't think any single organisation should be solely responsible for this, I think it should be a ground level movement that pervades throughout the panth. It has to come from the heart and soul of the panth at ground level. 

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, Premi said:

Just read a few pages 

Interesting account about Vaisakhi 1695

PXL_20230414_110117515.jpg

PXL_20230414_110203392.jpg

Be nice if you could post the footnote from the first page. 

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

@Premi

Did you finish the book then. What do you think of it?

I have read little of the book overall. 

Not sure how much you would learn from it since you have read lots of Sikh history books before 

But I think relative novices like me can learn a lot from it

24 minutes ago, Premi said:

I have read little of the book overall. 

Not sure how much you would learn from it since you have read lots of Sikh history books before 

But I think relative novices like me can learn a lot from it

Are you dyslexic? 

Book looks fascinating?

I'm sure I'd pick up at least a few new things from it - at the very least. 

1 hour ago, Premi said:

There has been next to nothing produced that was post-colonial - remember that! I've had to unlearn a lot of what I learnt from skewed sources.  

On 5/10/2023 at 8:27 PM, dalsingh101 said:

Are you dyslexic? 

Book looks fascinating?

I'm sure I'd pick up at least a few new things from it - at the very least. 

No.

Book looks okay, the pages are light on words though which might or might.not be a negative.

I have not generally read books properly for many years; I skim read books instead. 

I have spent much time including and since Uni reading medical books /literature (less now, most new stuff is on the Net) because of my work as a GP/family medicine so reading other books properly can seem a big effort 

however, I shall keep the book in mind and maybe best is I post excerpts of anything I found especially interesting or previously unknown

1 hour ago, Premi said:

Book looks okay, the pages are light on words though which might or might.not be a negative.

I don't get what you are trying to say here. Although I haven't read all the book, from what I gather, it seems to be what I'd call a  'framework' book. By this I mean that the value of it isn't necessarily in the details (although I'm sure there will be important ones within), but in how it helps us to reframe our history and form a more holistic schema of it - which is so important right now, as we're just coming out of the imposed colonial-era one, that was basically a method to tame, confuse and control the panth. 

I have not generally read books properly for many years; I skim read books instead. 

I have spent much time including and since Uni reading medical books /literature (less now, most new stuff is on the Net) because of my work as a GP/family medicine so reading other books properly can seem a big effort 

You have to slow it down then. Absorb the info. I go through phases where I struggle to read and concentrate but then I stumble across some work that snaps me out of it.  The skim reading may be preventing you from grasping the contents in the way it needs to be. 

Also, I'm glad you posted the above, I was beginning to get worried you were an undercover copper. lol!! So you dispense jack and jills then. 

however, I shall keep the book in mind and maybe best is I post excerpts of anything I found especially interesting or previously unknown

Nice. 

On 5/13/2023 at 8:42 PM, Premi said:

I think I've figured out who you really are.........

39 minutes ago, Premi said:

Did you have to put such a big picture... and seeing as you love him so much...

It wasn't that big when I copied and pasted it from google!!

Anyway, seeing as you've been slyly acting like some clueless, Forest Gump type character on these forums for years, I'd thought I'd 'out' you. lol! 

Just an aside, notice how the BBC's pedo protection and predilection hasn't even stopped even after Saville and all those convicted children's TV presenters:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12105541/Protester-Spider-Man-mask-launches-new-hammer-attack-BBC-statue-carved-evil-paedophile.html