Did you read the full Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji?

jjj

Did you read the full Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji  

15 members have voted

1. 1.

• No, never read anything from it
    • Yes, fully
    • Yes partly
    • I am on a mission on reading it fully now.

Have u read the Full SGGS.. i am about to reading it before i leave to harminder sahib for good. I have decided to leave home and see you off guys.. not sure when.. but i will update on this more, basically to practice more simran. I iwll be staying there only. Would like to have advice from u guys also on this.

Have u read the Full SGGS.. i am about to reading it before i leave to harminder sahib for good. I have decided to leave home and see you off guys.. not sure when.. but i will update on this more, basically to practice more simran. I iwll be staying there only. Would like to have advice from u guys also on this.

I am shocked to learn that you are planning to leave your family for good ? Do you think you would be able to do simran after relinqueshing your family? Most likely your heart and mind would alwayz be with your family and you would be worried about them most of the time...

There is no need to go to a holy place to do simran... Dont you think this is just equivalent to the Hindu rituals of Tirath Yatra and Sanayas... which is basically against the principles of SGGS.

Simran can be practiced whilst you are in home with your family... No need to take sanyaas for that purpose.

Now to your query... well, I had recenly downloaded Shri Guru Granth Darpan by Prof Sahib Singh Ji and frequently read the Gurbani along with the meaning of the Shabad from it so that my resolve of understanding Gurbani is fulfilled... In my perception mere reading is not of much of a use... Let us try to understand Gurbani and implement it in lives...

A Humble thought...

BCM

IDEAL Singh, Family and other things sholdnt bother you if u really want to make your goal accomplish. You know you got a mission and your mission is to meet Guru Ji. You have been given this human body.. you should try all your best to cross-over the world-ocean and not spare a single effort. Its like a person who wants to get A's in exams... and he gets up real morning and even sacrifices his meals and sleep to get it.

Dont think of it in a way of "leaving home" or "living in home" .. just think of it in a way that you GOTO meet Guru Jee.

Have you hread the story of summan-mussan. I will someday post the full story, but it is a very heart-touching story. They are very poor father-son.. and in that the son gets beheaded by the father .. both willinly doing it.. to steal some money to do seva for the Guru, becoz they didnt have money and htey were so desperate to do seva. Well just goto proudtobesikh.com and click on shabad by artist and click on balwinder singh rangeela and listen to "wich duniya sev kamaiyee" here is the link : http://www.proudtobesikh.com/khalsa/ptbsJu...aspx?alphabet=b

Whats a sehaj path? akhand path? khand path?

I know there is one path which involves keep reading sggs non-stop and it is usually completed in 3 days.. 24 hours a day and akhand path is usually with breaks.

Are you allowed to eat anything while u read sggs ONLINE on sikhnet.com?

akhand = continuous

sehaj = slowly

it could mean u read say 30 angs a day.. in this case you would have read whole of sri guru granth sahib in roughly a month

even if you are reading on the net i wouldnt eat at the same time lol.. u need ur concentration to understanding rather then eating..

roughly 10 angs takes about 45 minutes - im sure you can wait and eat after

jjj

i respect u 4 leavin ur family man its hard considering theres always so much moh.....

but i am gonna do a similar thing....get qualified then go 2 somewhere remote for a few years, just to really focus on guruji.......hopefully i will come out a changed man....and after that i will be doing part time work in hindia and try and do lots of parchar and bring more peeps into sikhi......then other stuff which i wont mention ere :LOL:

Khalsa Soulja, I dont advice u to do that. To be honest ppl have told me that it is much easier to meet Guru ji by getting married to a devout sikh girl who practices simran and she will make u r spiritual life much easier.

I wouldnt have left home at all.. if i was living in the city of amritsary, married.. had a job(becoz i dont want to eat for free) and I had the TOTAL FREEDOM OF Going to Golden Temple, listenning kirtan and doing simran at all times, basically being financially dependent on your family.... you dont get that freedom.

ultimately leaving home wont make u r spiritual path easier... but yea it would surely put you in the middle of a big army to fight on and you have to be ready for that and if you are not ready then hunger , luxury comforts and all the pleasures of living in a material world will take you over.

I dont think to myself that I am "leaving home"... ... but basically I am just trying to meet Guru ji with whatever way I can and try getting accepted. Its like someone would leave home and goto Guru Nanak (when He was in human form) and then stay with Him, asking for union with God.

.......if u knew wat went in the "other thing im not going to mention" part u wud probs approve :)

2 b honest i think marriage wud b a hindrance 2 wat im gnna do......if i find a propa strict keski wearing militant singhnee (and the chances of that are 0.00000001%)....then i might consider it......otha than that i dnt really see the point in it.....it wud become more of a hindrance mayb not spiritually but definately in the kind of stuff i wanna do l8a on......

KS, it is not that bad, infact by getting married u are always protected by being thrown away from Kaam. All these people who dont get married are tested by kaam and they fail also, then all the tapsya, simran of all the years are wasted and looted away by Kaam. Plus even Guru Ji married. Frankly I think that a householder life is more faster way to God. .. I to would want to get married, but if that would happen only if I am destined too..

KS, it is not that bad, infact by getting married u are always protected by being thrown away from Kaam. All these people who dont get married are tested by kaam and they fail also, then all the tapsya, simran of all the years are wasted and looted away by Kaam. Plus even Guru Ji married. Frankly I think that a householder life is more faster way to God. .. I to would want to get married, but if that would happen only if I am destined too..

Exactly... likewise by staying in family we can gradually control our Moh...

BCM

IDEAL Singh, We must remember that our goal in this world is to meet God and this is the mission for what we are here for. It is some country send its troops to another country .. but if the troops forget what there mission and involve themselves with family matters.. then they get fired !

In the Suleman tape, suleman says that we have come here for Naam Japing and Bhakti... and no other thing, food and water can be only given by God we can not earn all these things by our own will.

But yes, to tohse who think marriage is ahindrance to God, it is wrong, marriage is not hindrance at all. This type of thiking is a hindu philosophy.

guru gobind singh told banda singh bahadur to stay celibate cuz he knew that he wud have a turbulent life which wud not b suited to a householder

if u plan to chill at home all day, yes u can naamjaap and do paath, but do jack all for sikhi in terms of its worldwide situation, then yeh marriage is good.......but considering no1 else is getting off their lazy asses in the world a few peeps shud sacrifice their potential family and try n make a difference....u no wot i mean?

Hello, KS, If u get a rehat keeping amritdhari women. Its all fine ! You will progress rather than go down , dont think of it in a sex way. Kaam can kill anyone and a married life saves you from demoralization and staying in the marriage u can try to control kaam. Banda Singh Bahadur was married and he had a 4 year old child also.

yes well banda singh bahadur wasnt *quite* perfect.........he was a gurmukh yes but one of his hukamnamas says NO ONIONS (????) and he actually had two wives contrary to what guru ji said..

other than that he was a gangstah.

i think it is possible to destroy kaam totally, it just takes alot of willpower. buddhist monks do it. so do loads of gursikhs.

Khalsa Soulja u r going more into the hindu philosophy. I have been through that brahmacharya thing a lot myself. I will tell u kaam can not be destroyed by mans own power and those buddhists monks are following something that is totally contrary to sikhism... sitting long hous in meditation .. and doing no work.. Like Guru Sahib Himself said what is the use of sitting like a crane all day ? I was myself caught up in these practicees for 2-3 years... Its all crap.. sitting in meditation and those zazen thing if you know what i am talking about... is a complete mislead. Without Kirtan, Naam Jap nothing is possible rest all is useless besides this.

I myself use to pratice brahmacharya... its not possible. I know ppl who even use to try it but they always had lustful thoughts in there minds even though they never did anything physically and i knew ppl who would just waste there time.. (buddhist ppl) but were still inwardlies attached with there kids, family deeply. No one can free you accept the TRUE GURU.

Sometimes Kaam gets so high that you will even look at the dead decayed body of women in a lustful manner. I read a story in which a buddhist monk went through this all.

All I know is that celibacy HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH finding Union with God and you will just be wasting your time at it ! If you want to spend your time at somthing... then just Lovingly meditate on the Name of God ! and Kaam will be taken care of by itself. In my personal case I have found that I am little or not at all bothered by kaam when I am in sadh-sangat in harminder sahib or any other spiritual place.

Banda Singh Bahadur was a sannyasin, a vairagin previously ..he use to live in the himalayas and do all those kind of strict stuff.. thats why I am not surprised when he said "no onions".

All those ideas that onions produce sexual desire and thing that ban other types of vegetables is absolutely RUBBISH ! I myself never use to eat onions, garlic, oil, salt in my diet. I have left that kind of a lifestyle long back in the past.. .. now and I dont even want to think of living that same old way again, because it is all non-sense crap and has nothing to do with meeting God. Its a total waste of time and as Guru Ji says "This entire jagat is caught up in useless practices and rituals."

Now I eat lots of ghee, lassi, onions, salt.. I am healthy and I can concentrate much better in spirtuality, my mind is more open then the way it use to be when I had merged myself in complete ascetiscm ! Its all non-sense

Morever even Guru Ji's use to eat onions,, there is a proof to ie that the when Baba Buddha ji smashed an onion for eating with his food during the time he gave the boon to Mata Ganga ji for the birth of Guru Hargobind Ji, This story is a clear indication that onions were not banned in sikhi.

I feel that you are going back into the same ignorance out of which Guur Nanak tried to get the Yogis out.

Eat what you want, eat healthy, do all the things you are suppose to do.... and dont worry yourself to much about sex, the more you worry the more it is going to bother you and again getting married with a amritdhari girl is going to help you get more closer to God and having sex with your wife is no way condemned by God ! Dont force or repress, keep it normal and as your devotion increases you will naturlaly (Sehajy, sehaj) overcome Kaam.

• 2 weeks later...

I can generally read a whole page of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji in 3-4 minutes. As my dad has been a Giani nearly all his life, I have had a head start in learning to read the Guru Granth Sahib Ji. I think that now I can fluently read the Guru Granth Sahib Ji, I am concentrating on the meaning of the Baani. I have completed a Sahej Path, but that is with a few other people, practising how to read Shud Baani, taking over 2 years. My goal now is to do the Sahej Path by myself, and if I have Guru Ji's Kirpa, I am also going to try to do most of an Akhand Path by myself aswell, but that is later in life, when I feel I am ready for it.