How Do You Look Inside?

How does one look inside, i heard of someone having a dream where they say Guru Gobind Singh Ji and they told them to look inside. Im trying to do the same but I dont know exactly how to do that.

I've tried meditating and focusing on the feelings i get inside and removing distractions like tik tok and tv shows. I get to a point where my head is clear but i try to look inside and i cant find anything.

it reminded me of one of the lines in SGGS i think that said something about a dear wondering around looking for the musk it smells but not realizing it is the musk that its giving off

I am no expert in this so may be @Lucky @Sat1176 @HisServant and others can throw a better light on this. But i didn't want a post like this to go bump hence here is my little insight on this.

When we meditate, sit in dhyaan and reach a level where we starr hearing SHABAD. - we should be happy that we are getting connected to our Real Guru - shabad. And that's when we have started going- INSIDE. 

Hearing and tasting ( not drinking) are initial steps of getting INSIDE. Next, once we get 'used to' - habitual - can't live without  - this lovely dhun (we r in love with it) then comes the SEEING part- Parkash!  And *Drinking the Amrit*. From here we have to see the Parkash and do it's seva by watching... 

.......and  The journey continues