Khalsa has no Gender?

Am I the only person that thinks a dastaar does NOT make a woman look like a man. Is every man really that easily decieved?

Think about back then when it wasnt the norm (Guru Jis times) from afar, those who obviously needed glasses probably thought, yo, heres a guy. Now, the absence of facial beard and the presence of slender/womanly figures cannot mean that girls with dastar look like men.

I hate to say it but men arn't that good looking. Don't flatter yourselves.

COME ON! When will everyone get off the bandwagon????

A woman dressed in a small skirt and tank top wearing a dastar would obviously be hard to confuse as a man, however a woman clad in loose blue bana, and a dastaar/kamar kassa type thing tied around their chest to

Mod' Note: Your a and b points were deleted. And You know why it was deleted..Next time keep the wild ideas to your self..

Well then she would easily look more like a late teen. even from a close up.

Also the enemy didnt have cameras with 10x zoom features or sniper rifles while scouting for sikhs, they would see the group of sikhs moving and have to judge how many there where.

A family of 1 son and 2 daughter a wife and husband, would be an easy target, however a convoy of 5 singhs (or what looked like 5 singhs) would not have been seen as such an easy target..

Now wether this is correct or not the fact is to the enemy a group of 5 singhs is more intimidating then 1 singh his wife and children..

Guest Punjabi Nationalist

Can i just add that turban is not one of the 5 K's, which some seem to think it is.

Tying a turban predates Sikhism, Islam etc It has nothing to do with religion. It is more of a cultural symbol.

Being that amritdharis should cover their hair in public it doesnt take a genius to see why Sikh men all wear a turban rather than some-kind of hat. (Considering that Punjabis have always worn turbans)

Turban is traditionally a man's garment. That is not being sexist, but is the plain and simple truth.

I dont know why some women want to wear one, but its your choice i guess... I just think it looks all wrong on women, just my opinion...

The turban amongst Punjabi Ladies is a practice that developed out of the harsh times that Dynamic Banda refers to, when it was sought for cover under the guise of a man...the rest of what followed (i.e. the insistence for a Sikh Woman to wear a Dastaar to be counted as a Sikh is a more recent occurence in the last century, the details of which we all know).

Some make the reference to African Women and head-dress, which for me personally is too simple a comparison. As Punjabi Nationalist as indicated the Turban is a cultural item (anywhere in the World, denoting am amongst other things, status, position, lineage, class etc).

In Africa, the cultural use of a head dress for Women is different to that in India. African women, will still wear very feminine clothes, in India, women who traditionally (i.e. prior to the impact of the 20th century reforms) wore turbans did so to adopt a manly appearence, they would also adopt the robes of a man...in most instances, these were not always sinister (as discussions about 3rd and 4th genders are indicating), but simply that these ladies would often be employed as personal bodyguards by kings and other noble men.

Even within Sikh History the same can be found with the celebrated Mai Bhago (personal bodyguard to Guru Gobind Singh) and the special regiment held by Maharaja Ranjit Singh of such women.

(For supporting documents, please see reports of British Officers in conversation with Maharaja Ranjit Singh and articles on female warriors in South East Asia -apologies that I do not have the online references with me).

Regards,

Niranjana

Another point worth noting is that in many of the bodygaurd cases:

The woman were also used as Geisha type spies,

The woman where not grist and in some cases where lesbians which can be backed up by the third gender ideology, or very manly in their ways.

Also women are known for being 4 times cleverer then a man and also are better with usign chalitar. So for these reasons they made some of the best bodygaurds.

Sat Sri Akal:

Where is this written that Mata Bhag Kaur had to obtain permission to wear Bana? (Thanks in advance for info provided).

Geisha...also performed sexual acts...not in conduct of a Sikh (unless you are referring to women in general...).

I fail to understand WHY it is such a big deal that a woman wished to tie a Dastaar and wear Bana and why she should have to obtain permission from anyone to do such. Someone care to explain this to me?

Read charitar about anoop kaur in dasam and you will come to realise that sikh women are women too,

Its not a big deal today we have men in dresses and woman with beards. But it is neccesarry to see what misconceptions have been bought forward with regards to sexuality and gender over the history of the sikhs and punjabis in general. There is a great void created in our own ethos during the british raj and continuing afterwards, if these traditions are not researched and we are not aware of these changes in our own societies then the history of our own people will be lost.

Also alot of the tyhings done by modern sikhs is because they think its what sikhs should do, however very few are aware of what used to happen in history and go by what masand type babas tell them.

Its all about the awareness my dear friend !!