Sansui Awards offensive comment about Sikhs...

Ideal Singh

Sansui Awards offensive comment about Sikhs

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki Fateh!!

A very offensive "joke" was made on an awards show on Sony Entertainment television last night(Feb. 7th, 2004). Sanjay Dutt, a Bollywood actor, came on and said that he was going to make a joke.

This is what he said, "Two Sikhs are playing a game of Chess." The person standing next to him asks him to continue and he replies that that is the joke.

This is a very hateful and derogatory comment. This show is broadcast throughout the world and millions of Sikhs along with other Indians watched it. This show will be repeated throughout the world. SET broadcasts in Europe as well.

We should send out a message that Sikhs are united and

comments that attack Sikhs will not be tolerated.

Please contact SET and let them know how you feel

about this. Their website is www.setasia.tv

Now, my question is Should Sikhs make such a hue and cry over such a trivial issue... ? Is a Sikh's sense of humor so much fused these days ? :roll: Sikhs used to be a lively community... Least bothered about such issues...

Ahh...well - yeah i too have figured the best way s to ignore such trivial things...but you see the point is - there is very vague line between a trivial joke and a hurting joke.

i too myself have faced many situations where sitting with a big bunch of strangers and then theres a sikh joke and everybody is staring at your face - looking to see how you react :-) !!!

But with my group of friends - its like everything is comfortable.

If i could help it(and most of us i believe) i would put an end to all sikh jokes(which are genrally lifted blonde or irish jokes) - like wake up one day and realise there are no sardar jokes !

I think the "Sikhs used to be a lively community... Least bothered about such issues..." - is more of a statement of resignation because - sikh jokes are here to stay !

SO Mr IDEAL Singh - this quote is for you ... "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes. "

He He kidding ...keep the faith ssa..!

No Ignoring !!!! They will take your ignoring to be your weakness.

No more toleration to such comments !!! of course unless u want the whole world to think that we are stupid.

Lets be united and act.

Things will start as a joke, and future generations fed on these jokes will eventuallyt think that sikhs are in reality dumb.

We must remember that the potrayal of turbaned, beareded sikhs as tupid, third grade people, actually led to a lot of young sikhs to either feel inferior or be patit.

WE MUST FIGHT SUCH PROPAGANDA !!!!! TO HELL WITH TOLERANCE !!!!

Whats the action plan people !!!

I wonder how Sanjay Dutt would feel if someone.....would to joke about his Hindooos.

Anyway having said that the word hindoo is a joke in itself...it means daku, lotera, thug :-)

Need we say more than that Sanjay Dutt is a true Hindoo hee hee hee.

anyway one needs to see al jazeera to know how they potray hinduism and the cow urine and faeces therapy ..yuck..

"No Ignoring !!!! They will take your ignoring to be your weakness.

No more toleration to such comments !!! of course unless u want the whole world to think that we are stupid.

Lets be united and act.

Things will start as a joke, and future generations fed on these jokes will eventuallyt think that sikhs are in reality dumb." - BabberSher

I couldn't agree more, look at how goray think of the Christians and the Irish in the UK. He should at least make a sincere apology to make amends.

But on the other hand I doubt that his one little joke is going to make any difference to most peoples attitudes to Sikhs. Over here (well at least as far as I know) Sikhs are seen as intelligent, entrepreneurial and hardworking (stereotyped as doctors and factory owners) so doubt his tripe would make much difference.

Reading through the posts on this topic - its the same thing floating around in the mind of all sikhs -

1. Everybody hates sikh jokes

2. Every body wants to do something

3. But you cant do anything...you will come across people who will make sikh jokes ... and you cant beat the SH*T outta everybody !

4. so you take solace from the fact - AND CONCLUDE ...

a) LIFE IS BIGGER than all these jokes... and so are sikhs.

B) Most people adore and respect sikhs ...and most of the people making sikh jokes are JERKs ... or people who missed out on soomething basic in their childhood ...i unconsciously put the guys making sikh jokes in a special "dimwit ..uncivil, ill-bred people" category in my brain. And move on ...

• 2 weeks later...