Maharaja Ranjit Singh (Rare Picture)

Guest Punjabi Nationalist

If thats Maharaja Ranjit Singh then hes nothing like the "ugly creature" he has been described as in numerous writings...

Nice one N30, this is an excellent photo.

I had been looking for something like this for a long time,

I'm not 100% on this, but I'm sure I saw this picture a couple of years ago at a talk. The guy giving the talk (I think it was Parmjit Singh, author of 'WARRIOR SAINTS: 300 Years of the Sikh Military Tradition') pulled up a picture that *I think* was the same as that above.

Using historical facts from that era, he actually said that it was very unlikely to be M. Ranjit Singh and Hari Singh Nalwa.

Just to stress, I'm not sure.

Mah Ranjit Singh is sitting down next to the White guy looking down, and Hari Singh Nalwa is stand behind the white Guy with the black Pug

Wow.....This is fantastic!! Too bad we don't have any picture of Jassa Singh Ahlluwalia or any of the Dal Khalsa members.

If I'm not mistaken it is written above the picture...

Maharaja Ranjit Singh-....I coudn't quite get the second part. My Punjabi sucks.

Also, the picture is date 1831. Does anyone know how old both M. Ranjit Singh and Hari Singh Nalwa were then? They look the same age in the picture.

Without wishing to be too offensive, M. Ranjit Singh was also considered to be a very ugly dude with 'squintish' features. From the picture he doesn't look that bad.

The Kirpan in the hand of Maharaja Ranjit Singh in this picture must have been preserved somewhere... we can validate from there...

Dear Beast, just have a close look in the right eye of "Maharaja" that surely seems to be deformed...

N3O where did you find it... :D

Guest Javanmard

I love that picture of the REAL SHERE PANJAB ( :LOL: ). He might not be Orlando Bloom but he has got a lot of class in the way he dresses. How come our bande have lost that sense of dressing? The choghas are really nice!

Beast is correct to say its not authentic.

As stated, Parmjit Singh was able to dismiss this as the photographic camera was introduced AFTER the death of MRSingh (few days after in 1939).

Hence, the date on the photo must be incorrect.

If i remember correctly during his talk, he thought they were paathans...

Beast is correct to say its not authentic.

As stated, Parmjit Singh was able to dismiss this as the photographic camera was introduced AFTER the death of MRSingh (few days after in 1939).

Hence, the date on the photo must be incorrect.

If i remember correctly during his talk, he thought they were paathans...

Actually, the camera eas invented in early 1800.

http://inventors.about.com/library/invento...photography.htm

But we arnt, talking about just any other joe, this is maharaja Ranjit singh , so if he wanted to have a picure taken, he could have gotton it.

As for the pic being real or not, well it probably is fake, as i couldnt find any mention of this in that book "The ARts and Crafts of the sikh kingdoms"

Settle Down - This is not Maharajah Ranjit Singh - Both Parmjit and I are 100% certain of this, let me try to lay out the facts:

1. The earliest experiments in photography were carried out in 1839 (the year the M died) by the mid 1840s there was a type of practical portrait photgraphy - and the very first camera was bought to India by a English Surgeon called John McCosh in 1849 - 10 years after the M died. Even then the quality of the pics was incredibly grainy.

2. anyone that has worked with Antique photos (like Parm and I have) can quickly tell you that the picture there is dated c1860 - 1880 just by looking at the quality of the print

3. The main character in the photograph is Sher Ali the Governer of Sindh, he is surrounded by his Pathan Bodyguards and the British guy is Lord Minto - these are all very well known and well photographed faces of the 1860s.

4. This picture is part of a well known set of pictures that show the meeting of Lord Minto (then Gov gen of India) with Sher Ali in Amballa in 1865

5. This picture was 'discovered' as a Sikh picture by the well known fraudster C S Chan of Coventry - if he says it was the Maharajah then it definitely is not !!

Sorry to burst your bubble but that aint no Sikh maharaja

Aman

Amandeep, could you add more by what you mean by 'well known fraudster'

I have seen a number of manuscripts mentioned in his World Heritage collection on the sikh-heritage website that are incredible to say the least, such as the remaining Goindwal pothis etc. Furthermore, I have yet to find another reference to the manuscript he refers to about the Nirmal samprda on the website, with all the best sources on Nirmalay granths. Like others, I have written to him asking for more details on these texts but have recieved no reply.

With the Namdhari link, I wonder whether he was involved in the publishing of that book called 'Guru Nanak's Ramayan'? I have seen that G.S. Chan has printed a copy of 'Bani Behangam', a work considered by Pandit Tara Singh Narotam to be in the same category as Pran Sangali.

Talking of which has anyone got a complete copy of Praan Sangali, with all the extra chapters? I have the smaller version.

over and out

CS Chan obvioulsy has a great interest and passion for Sikh heritage but he simply cant help polluting the propogration and preservation of sikh heritage with his own blend of hearsay, myth, falcification and fraud. He simply makes things up - whether that is the picture in question , or the provenance of his manuscript colleciton or the supposed ownership of many of his artefacts. I stopped interacting with him years ago but he clealry cant help taking interesting items and associating them with the Gurus or other well-known famous sikhs to add value to these items. I dont know if he then sells them to gullible sikhs or not - alhtough I do know a couple of poeple that hav ebeen 'burned' by him in the past.

I woudl take EVERYTHING that he (and his chela) say with a huge pinch of salt.

the annoying this is that he does have some nice things in his collection (from what I have seen) but nothing remarkable that I have seen.

I undertsand that he is quite unwell at the moment

Amandeep