Rehinsbhais

tableji

u kno wot, i take it back. i went to a rehinsbhai last weekend. When i got there, i was thinkin to myself "Why do i come here " and kinda instantly felt bad and wanted to go home. I told one of my friends, that my mind wasnt really here in the keertan, n he sed jus sit here close ur eyes and do simran etc.

Wudnt u kno it, i really enjoyed the keertan after that, and ppl were doin raag aswell and harpreet singh ji from canada was just amazing!

lol looks like i got my answers!

Bhai Manpreet singh ji( kanpur wale) rocks!:D

yeah "nahi chodo re baba raam naaaaaaaaaam"!!!

Hes amazing, like wen he was stayin in east london, he did a house programme one evening, n like a group of us stayed afterwards, n we did like nitem n more simran n keertan! was sooo good!

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh jio

anyone who attended the recent rainsbai in wolverhampton-uk

will understand the benefit of attending them

it was truly amazing

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh ji

lol !! that wot im saying!!!

yeah tableji

that rain-sbai was amazing

and for those who say there's no raag kirtan at rain-sbais

well that bibi from inida who did kirtan (i think about 10pm)

well she kicked it

the raags were flowing and so was the simran

it's all good

also it was good to see so much sangat there enjoying the ras of the kritan

even Nidar Singh and other Nihang Singhs turned up to do darshan of Guru ji and the sangat and to listen to kirtan :))))

so it can't all be that bad :))))))))))))))

even Nidar Singh and other Nihang Singhs turned up to do darshan of Guru ji and the sangat and to listen to kirtan

I smell great sense of unity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D

vahiguroo vahiguroo vahiguroo vahiguroo :yo: :yo: :pray: :pray: :bow: :bow:

Guest Javanmard

What if someone does not know raags?

Well simple: there are other ways of doing seva. No need to get on stage when you don't master the art.

People then say: But isn't it pyaar that counts in the end?

Well imagine your friend invites you home and promisses you a fine meal but can't cook and actually messes up the whole meal. Each time you chew it's just horrible. No matter how much pyar you put into it the food will still be horrible!

It's like the story of the ignorant servant who loved his king so much and who promissed: I will protect you against any creature that tries to touch you. One day the king was sleeping and a fly landed on this nose. The servant took his sword killed the fly but he also killed the king.

Each time you do prachar without training or sing without knowing raags you're like the ignorant servant! There are other ways to serve but it seems people like to shine in public so much they'll take any opportunity to do so. That's why in all the sampradayas the first thing you do for years is doing seva in the langar. You may be a scholar and be more learned than most peple in the sangat but this seva will remind you that it's not about you: it's about offering Maharaj the best seva possible.Only when you reached some personal maturity are you alowed to do prachar in public.

That is why rainsabais are just soooooooo wrong! A heavy messed up meal! Would you give horrible food to Maharaj?

SEva is not about you: it's about Maharaj! So before you go on stage ask yourself: am I able to give Maharaj kirtan in proper raags as he comanded us? If not step back: that's true nimrata!

Found this on another board:

People tend to think that doing keertan in raag means that the shabad must be done only in teen-taal and include all the "aaaa eeeeee oooooo" (as it was so eloquently put in an earlier post). But every tune is indeed in one raag or another, whether the keertani even realizes it or not.

I see your point about "proper" raags (I assume you mean singing in the same raag as the shabad is composed in). But it's complicated. I mean, sometimes you just want to do a shabad, regardless of what time of day it is. But if we stick to the "pakaa raag" routine, then we can only do certain shabads only at certain times of the day, or even only in the right season, as prescribed by the raag. That means we'll only get to hear Basant for a few months each year! That'd be tragic!!

Moreover, Gurbani is only composed in 31 raags. This means we will never get the chance to hear the other thousands of raags that exist. The raags used most often in Jatha today, in my opinion, are Malkauns and Darbaari -- both of which are excluded from Sri Guru Granth Sahib and both of which are to be sung at late night and in a particular season (ie. Malkauns = technically a raag of Winter). I'd rather hear these raags being sung with pyaar at any random time/season, rather than hearing only one of the 31 raags and having it mechanically sung at the prescribed time.

Overall, it's pretty confining for those who like to do whatever shabad they feel like doing, depending on their mood/avasthaa, and in a tune that they like and feel. I think keertani who have knowledge and training of raags and tend to avoid doing them, do so not due to others' preferences, but just because they themselves don't feel like doing raags all the time. I personally would rather have people doing keertan genuinely from the heart rather than just according to the time.

There is no one way to do kirtan. No one has "one" way to do kirtan and all others are wrong. What makes AKJ kirtan so amazing is that it is done with all of the sangat singing, not just one person. Mixing kirtan and Naam Simran makes for a powerful combination. Naam Jaapna is an integral part of Sikhi. Not everyone likes everything, pick what you like and go with it.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Javanmard

Jeff wrote:

People tend to think that doing keertan in raag means that the shabad must be done only in teen-taal and include all the "aaaa eeeeee oooooo" (as it was so eloquently put in an earlier post). But every tune is indeed in one raag or another, whether the keertani even realizes it or not.

The aaaa eee oooo are called alamkars and raags are played with a whole variety of tals, not just tintal.

I see your point about "proper" raags (I assume you mean singing in the same raag as the shabad is composed in). But it's complicated. I mean, sometimes you just want to do a shabad, regardless of what time of day it is. But if we stick to the "pakaa raag" routine, then we can only do certain shabads only at certain times of the day, or even only in the right season, as prescribed by the raag. That means we'll only get to hear Basant for a few months each year! That'd be tragic!!

What's tragic about respecting the maryada that Maharaj gave us!

Moreover, Gurbani is only composed in 31 raags. This means we will never get the chance to hear the other thousands of raags that exist. The raags used most often in Jatha today, in my opinion, are Malkauns and Darbaari -- both of which are excluded from Sri Guru Granth Sahib and both of which are to be sung at late night and in a particular season (ie. Malkauns = technically a raag of Winter). I'd rather hear these raags being sung with pyaar at any random time/season, rather than hearing only one of the 31 raags and having it mechanically sung at the prescribed time.

Only 31 raags in gurbani? Surely that's true for Adi Guru Granth Sahib but Sarabloh Guru Darbar has much much more!!!! Raags cannot be sung meachanically anyway: this is a stupid assumption! Anyone having even just a routine knowledge of classical hindustani sangeet knows that raags cannot be playted mechanically!!!

Overall, it's pretty confining for those who like to do whatever shabad they feel like doing, depending on their mood/avasthaa, and in a tune that they like and feel. I think keertani who have knowledge and training of raags and tend to avoid doing them, do so not due to others' preferences, but just because they themselves don't feel like doing raags all the time. I personally would rather have people doing keertan genuinely from the heart rather than just according to the time.

So Jeff's desires are more important than Maharaj's kirtan maryada?

yeah, i swear the singhs dnt know wot it is anymore. The naamdharis and muslims, they have the skill. Its all about pyar at the end of the day.

My sister learns from this raagi, n he always tells her, u cnt learn alaap etc, like by memorising the sounds, u have to jus let ur pyar come out on the spot.

ANd wen somone sings like that, everyone can feel it 2. Gurmat Sangeet is a beautiful thing, its just sad to c that its becoming a lost art

Whilst i totally agree with ur point tableji, and lalleshvari paji (ur name always hurts my fingers singh-u had to be akward with ur username init :D ) i still think kirtan is kirtan..and if x person expresses his love for waheguru in x way..then so be it. How boring the world would be if we were all the same..and did things the same..hunah cough cough *sgpc*

well well well. what an interesting topic. and i totally agree with fauge. you make a very powerful point. let ppl express the way they want to. if its not your style then dont listen to them and DNT ATTEND their smagams. i personally love akj kirtan until they bring the simran into it. but they are the only people who sings their hearts out with each other they ALL sing along and if you've ever done kirtan you will know what a great feeling it is to have everybody singing along with you (as opposed to miserable singhs on stage that never sing just want to show they on stage!!!).........

btw theres this new upcoming kirtani - and he rocks. keep an eye out - the next t-series super star of this century. his name is wishy washy singh 'leamington spa wale'

as kang, theres another singh friend of mine; his names ravinder.

propa beautiful voice. infact theres quite a few kirtanis who are behind closed doors who could really 'rock' the kirtan scene, but they choose not to.

but good points as kang. totally agree with u; if u dnt like it, close ur ears!!

LOL joker. biggy up to sing but cant singh but can play wikid tabla as well as fauge - WHO ID DA MAN FOR mixing music n dat!!!

actually to be serious - i heard this shabad by bhai niranjan singh - btw is d best kirtani man luv him so much. his shabd apney karam ki gatt mai kiya jaano is actually a hindi film tune of the 60s - mai teri tulsi ki aangan. THE EXACT COPY! BUT AMAZINGLY SING!!!

CHECK U LAter