Shouldnt-take life 4 granted..(Graphic Content) Advisory

In our lives, we tend to take things for granted. Further elaborating most of us never realize what it means to have a roof to live under, food to eat three times a day, warm water to take a shower in the morning, having cash in your pocket, and etc. We have got so much to be thankful for - yet often times we still complain - such as about the 'roti' being too burnt, too hard, less cooked, and so forth. Clothes? - We should be thankful that we get to change them daily, but instead we worry about having the latest brands, trends, etc.

I am hoping the pictures below will serve as a reminder how fortunate we are and that we must never take things for granted. Although, I am hoping that these pictures will establish a foundation - a foundation that will give you a whole new meaning to life, about your problems, and your day-to-day living.

This world is a hell for many people. There's not much I can do about it. I would like to give some time over to volunteer in Africa, but volunteering is a scam these days. Everyone is getting mugged (the sufferers most of all). You could blame it all on the Kal Yug, but the blame lies squarely at the door of colonialism.

It's true you know. All of our problems pale in comparison to the problems these utterly destitute people have to face. They are experiencing marginalisation on a global scale. It's disgraceful. Surely Rome will be punished for allowing this situation to continue, and feeding from it.

While this is going on, Europe is burning its cereal mountains and flushing away its lakes of milk in the exercise of protectionist economic policies for the benefit of the world's fattest farmers.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh my gosh- Shashterkovich..I just so didn't read what you just wrote...

Please- Staged...Do you see like a hollywood emblem there ??

For gripes - I can't believe you just said that....

People have staged such pictures in the past. Barnardo's have done so in their ads, with photos and television. Please be clear, I'm not doubting that the situation described by the photo you posted could be genuine. Just that the photographer seemed to hit upon rather an opportune moment, and that it does'nt make sense that he would walk away from this scene without helping the child, and then afterwards kill himself because of depression. Without knowing more details about the circumstances, I am reasonable to question the photo's authenticity. Personally, I find that it's irrelevant whether it's genuine. It makes a telling point even if it is not (because it reflects the reality of famine).

Good intentions hey?

kevin carter committed suicide 16 months after taking the photo, not 3. it wasn't just depression... there were a number of factors including drugs & his inability to handle his fame.

http://home-4.tiscali.nl/~t892660/msp/time.htm

In 1993 Carter headed north of the border with Silva to photograph the rebel movement in famine-stricken Sudan. To make the trip, Carter had taken a leave from the Weekly Mail and borrowed money for the air fare. Immediately after their plane touched down in the village of Ayod, Carter began snapping photos of famine victims. Seeking relief from the sight of masses of people starving to death, he wandered into the open bush. He heard a soft, high-pitched whimpering and saw a tiny girl trying to make her way to the feeding center. As he crouched to photograph her, a vulture landed in view. Careful not to disturb the bird, he positioned himself for the best possible image. He would later say he waited about 20 minutes, hoping the vulture would spread its wings. It did not, and after he took his photographs, he chased the bird away and watched as the little girl resumed her struggle. Afterward he sat under a tree, lit a cigarette, talked to God and cried. "He was depressed afterward," Silva recalls. "He kept saying he wanted to hug his daughter."

i cannot believe he sat there for 20 minutes without doing anything to get a 'better' picture! what a bastard! but then apparently he was obsessed with the fact that his pictures were never good enough.

F^^^K....guys - that isn't the point ...

You see the picture obviously...it aint blurry or overly grayscaled or anything..

I mean - I wouldn't be trying to take a better picture of such a thing..- Thats just horrible

Pisses me off..that some of you fail to see the reality in those picture...and go to the lateral to make other stupid arguments.

Guv, you're absolutely right. For some people the camera lens acts as a sort of shield. They are weak and pathetic. They know who they are. There is no art in photography - only voyeurism, and for a real man a camera is not an instrument of empowerment. It's in the same spirit as computer hacking.

It's absolutely disgusting that he waited for 20 minutes and watched that situation unfold before his very eyes. How could he be an impassive witness in the presence of that level of suffering?

We're capable, but have little trust in the charities. There are about 10 commissioned hustlers at the corner of every shopping centre or high street. Don't know which one to trust with the cash. They seem to swallow up the cash and come up with no results at all, with no meaningful impact upon 3rd World poverty.

What's with the religious indoctrination and missionary schemes?

I would never support any sectarian charity. It's insipid and cruel to take advantage of people's circumstances and to force them to take cognisance of the fact that you are of a different religion than they when you go to help them.

Pingalwara seems to be a Sikh initiative, and we ALL know that there are Sikhs and then there are Sikhs. This charity seems to be trying to mythologise its founder as some sort of holy man.

WorldVision appears to be a Christian charity.

I will not support any confused doctrine or mindless fanaticism, whether Sikh or Christian. From the websites, I believe that there are good reasons to believe that there is a real risk that both charities are simply recruiting organisations for their religions. I have no reason to trust them.

What's needed is a properly administered and reliably, trustworthy charity that's run entirely by unpaid volunteers. So that the money can go on the provision of basic essentials to the needy. I don't find that unreasonable at all.

Guest Maha_Pavitar

Mythologise Bhagat Puran Singh Jeeio?? Pingalware doesn't just provide medical attention, they nurture and bring up wonderful human beings. Bhagat Jee is the founder of Pingalwara, but he also brought a new meaning to the word service. I'm a bit confused how anyone could think that way about Bhagat Jee??

Everyone try www.bethecause.org (unpaid volunteers, trustworthy, properly adminstered, diverse team) Read about their compassion cell, their walk for hope, sacred shrine visits...:)

In reverence

shasterkovich, please read "garland around my neck" by patwant singh & harinder kaur sekhon, which gives a biography of bhagat puran singh (who i see as a modern day equivalent of bhai kenaiya.)

http://www.dtfbooks.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=45

There's no need to buy the book. I'm not interested enough to research the man's life. Besides, I don't read or trust biographies. I have my own life to obsess over.

I see no difference between those pictures and most of them sitting in gurdwaras and walkin in the streets pretending they are happy and boosted..

Ironic how the kid is crawling for food and to survive.. and the photographer waited for the pic and he ended up dead :D you have to love karam.

I see no difference between those pictures and most of them sitting in gurdwaras and walkin in the streets pretending they are happy and boosted..

Ironic how the kid is crawling for food and to survive.. and the photographer waited for the pic and he ended up dead :D you have to love karam.

I must have punched someone undeserving in the face in my previous life, because now I have really bad hay fever. I've been mopping up my nose all day, and my eyes are redder than a sadhu's in Manali.

Seriously though, I begin to wonder about karma (whether the idea is true or not). Looking at the picture of the starving kid about to be eaten by a well-fed vulture makes me wonder. How can the kid have "merited" that level of suffering?