Khalsa Mehima

Khalsa Mehima – Praise of the Khalsa

By the command of Akaal Purakh the Khalsa took the form of the most exalted of sages, with matted hair from the top of its head to the smallest nail of its toe. By keeping company with the divine it achieved true purity, aquiring the noblest of forms which is that of the truly devoted. Dharam-raj bestowed on it the rank of the ruler supreme, setting its place far above all that others can reach. From heaven he established its paramount rule, from the furthest shore to the uttermost limit.

By this command the Lord created that Panth which is the Khalsa. The earth was cleansed of refuse, both demons and malechhs. The sacred and pure Panth multiplied, walking in the way of truth and piety, Kach, Kirpan and Kesh, these three signs made the followers of the Guru the servants of God.

Worshippers of Akaal and followers of the Kshatriya way, he turned into those who wielded swords in battle. From forty men, give leaders of the Khalsa emerged. They were the beloved Ajit Singh, Jujhar and Fateh Singh, and Zorawar Singh. The fifth leader of the Khalsa who completes the total was the Satguru, he who revealed this noble Panth.

Forty men were the seed if the Khalsa, powerful Singhs who won liberation. Bhagavati was their mother, Akaal Purakh their father, specially nurtured by them. Separated from all illusion they became his people, repeating “Satinamâ€, that most powerful of mantras. They chanted it themselves and taught all others to chant it. Great devotees they were in the Kaliyug.

On them was conferred the status of Guru Khalsa, and the Granth became the Satguru. They chanted the word of the Satguru, repeating the Name of God, whether standing or whether sitting. The pure Panth, which was the Khalsa came into being, that glorious Panth with four castes and [four] ashrams. To behold it is to behold the Satguru, its members repeat the Gurus Word from the Guru Granth. In twelve forms the Satguru appears, just as twelve rays of the sun reflect the light of God. The visible power of God is manifested in the Khalsa as the doctrine of the Guru Granth and that of the Guru Panth. Gobind is the servant of the victorious Satguru, he who reveals himself as the Khalsa and the Guru Granth.

God has blessed the Khalsa with virtues such as those of the bhagats, gianis, raj yogis, Kshatriyas, those who perform religious rights for others, worshippers of one God, those who live apart from others, ascetics, warriors, masters who bestride the world. Hearing what God tells them in the scriptures, in the noble words of the Bhagwant Gira and the Upanishads, they follow the auspicious, avoiding what is evil, and live as debour and knowledgeable people.

The Khalsa attained purity, as great as the One who is above every stain. To the Sikhs this teaching of the Guru is given, that these three must be your signs: Kach, Kesh, Kirpan. Let this be your agreed way of life, the ten chief aims of the Khalsa: mercy, charity, preparedness, forgivness, bathing, gentleness, purity, truth, loving regard, Sadhs, siddhs and gods regard devotion as the supreme virtue.

Actions to be avoided are those arising from violence, pride, idleness, parsimony, the exercise of harsh authority, cruelty, sloth, criticism of others, corruptness, and eating meat prepared by a Muslim with the recitation of the Kalima. These are the characteristics of unbelievers. Thus there are ten aims and ten things to be avoided. The Khalsa is described as wise, acquiring a purity, which is equaled only by the One who is above all stain.

The spirit wanders free within it; the evil god becomes a good god. Rare is the privilege of attaining the status of the Khalsa. Thus it is called Gods people. A wave is no different from the water it contains. A spirit is seen as Brahma or God, Brahma is the spirit and the spirit is Brahma, just as the ocean is contained in a drop of water and the drop is contained in the ocean.

What a marvel is the being of God! How does one obtain the condition of the Satiguru? The condition of a Sikh is double the weight of both, based on the spirits gain. I sing aloud of its greatness, limited in intellect and discernment though I be. Hear me, O Sant! Hear the glory of the Khalsas condition and from it take strength.

In the Bhagwant Gita Sri Krishan has decribed the exalted status of the devotee to Arjan: “the devotees – the wise man and the brave – belong to my own caste since they all have attained the true status of their soulâ€. Commentators have have attributed the views of devotees to the Khalsa. All conferred the highest praise on the Khalsa; exalted it is above all.

The Khalsa is my special embodiment; I dwell within the Khalsa.

The Khalsa is my mouth and limbs; always I live within the Khalsa.

The Khalsa is the object of my devotion; the Khalsa proclaims my reputation.

The Khalsa is my wings and my feet; the Khalsa is the offspring in whom I delight.

The Khalsa is my encouraging friend; the Khalsa is my parents who give me joy.

The Khalsa is my virtious delight, ever tied together in friendship with me.

The Khalsa is my virtue and honour; from the Khalsa I took birth.

The Khalsa is my source of supply; through the Khalsa I have performed every deed.

The Khalsa is my friend and family; the Khalsa works my redemption.

The Khalsa is my duty (dharma) and my destiny (karam); the khalsa is my deepest secret.

The Khalsa is my perfect Satguru, the Khalsa is my family of the noble brave.

The Khalsa is my learning and intteligence, on the Khalsa I constantly reflect.

No other body is there which can be compared with the Khalsa, none which may reach its

furthest limit.

If I had the tounges of Sheshnaag (King of the Snakes) and the the knowledge of Devi, yet would I fail to praise it adequately.

No falsehood have I uttered, as God and Guru Nanak are my witnesses.

If one had as many tounges as the hairs of ones body, yet they would still be insufficient

to sing the praises of the Khalsa.

I am the Khalsa, the Khalsa is mine; the relationship is as the ocean and its individual drops of water.

The Khalsa is the army of Akaal Purakh;

The Khalsa emerged as the joy of God!

All my wealth, stowed in storehouse and treasury, is due to the grace of the Khalsa.

Like a kingdom, with its wealth and mansions, its men and their wives each perform appointed tasks.

Though I be an armys chief leader, yet I am the lowliest servant of all.

Friend, family, wealth, mansions, riches and mercy – all come by the grace of the Khalsa.

Leading the household, all body and soul, my physique and my breath.

Gifts, greatness and honour, all I receive, are due to the grace of the Khalsa.

The whole of the Khalsa, to which grace has been given, makes me worthy of honour and glory.

Penniless and without leaders are people without the number who, without the Khalsa, like me are astray in this world.

Serve the bounty of the Khalsa, worship it with gifts.

Praise its gifts, greatness and honour, worship it in the approved sixteen ways.

False service is fruitless, here on earth or in the other world.

Fruitless service lacks effect, sometimes happy, sometimes sad.

Religious offering and worship is my duty to the Khalsa, might it is and worthy of worship.

The servant of Gobind proclaims the victory of the Khalsa, the sight and touch which wipes sadness away.

My own and trusted one is the Khalsa, worthy of worship and meditation.

The sight and touch of the Khalsa confers liberation and truth on the soul.

One he who knows its true depths is a member of the divine Khalsa.

Between the Lord, myself, and it (the Khalsa) no trace of difference exists.

• 1 month later...