history

Sukhi

a ppl without a history is like a tree without roots.

those that do not learn from the mistakes history teaches us is bound to make the same mistakes.

what is interesting though is the different cultural viewpoints towards history... esp comparing the importance placed on the empirical study of history in the west with the semi-factual semi-mythological view of history which seemed prevalent in ancient india (eg janamsakhis)

a ppl without a history is like a tree without roots.

those that do not learn from the mistakes history teaches us is bound to make the same mistakes.

what is interesting though is the different cultural viewpoints towards history... esp comparing the importance placed on the empirical study of history in the west with the semi-factual semi-mythological view of history which seemed prevalent in ancient india (eg janamsakhis)

Excellent point.

i've been thinking about the importance of history in one's development as a Sikh recently. that's what this thread is really about.

i recently watched a documentary on how gurudwarey that are slightly older have been tiled up instead of having their decor renovated.

i consider this an attack not only on our heritage but our history too.

my main concern is that we're already going through a massive cultural rehaul in terms of our attitudes to sikhi. we've seen an explosion of some very fundamentalist/totalitarian views that tend to limit and reduce sikhi to being something quite different from what it seems like it should be.

i'm not a scholar or a great thinker. but from what i've seen, sikhi isn't necessarily as rigid as many groups make it out to be and it disturbs me to see that our own leaders are destroying our roots.

how are future generations supposed to be "true to their roots" if their roots don't even exist any more?