Sikhi and Hell!

Sath Shri Akal

What is hell according to sikh dharm?

in these verses we can read about hell:

Page 70, Line 16

ਰੰਗੁ ਨ ਲਗੀ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਤਾ ਸਰਪਰ ਨਰਕੇ ਜਾਇ ॥੫॥

रंगु न लगी पारब्रहम ता सरपर नरके जाइ ॥५॥

rang na lagee paarbarahm taa sarpar narkay jaa-ay. ||5||

Even so, if they have not embraced love for the Supreme Lord God, then they shall surely go to hell. ||5||

Guru Arjan Dev -

Page 71, Line 1

ਚਿਤਿ ਨ ਆਇਓ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਤਾ ਖੜਿ ਰਸਾਤਲਿ ਦੀਤ ॥੭॥

चिति न आइओ पारब्रहमु ता खड़ि रसातलि दीत ॥७॥

chit na aa-i-o paarbarahm taa kharh rasaatal deet. ||7||

But still, if you do not come to remember the Supreme Lord God, then you shall be taken and consigned to the most hideous hell! ||7||

Guru Arjan Dev -

Page 91, Line 1

ਪਾਪੀਆ ਨੋ ਨ ਦੇਈ ਥਿਰੁ ਰਹਣਿ ਚੁਣਿ ਨਰਕ ਘੋਰਿ ਚਾਲਿਅਨੁ ॥

पापीआ नो न देई थिरु रहणि चुणि नरक घोरि चालिअनु ॥

paapee-aa no na day-ee thir rahan chun narak ghor chaali-an.

He does not give the sinners any stability or place of rest; He consigns them to the depths of hell.

Guru Ram Das - view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok

and this one made me think further:

Page 177, Line 8

ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਬਚਨਿ ਨਰਕਿ ਨ ਪਵੈ ॥

गुर कै बचनि नरकि न पवै ॥

gur kai bachan narak na pavai.

The Guru's Word saves one from falling into hell.

Guru Arjan Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok

does'nt the last mean that, people not following sikhism wall end in hell?

what is hell according to Sikh Dharm?

yeah i thought it had something to do with the earlier revelations.

but, what is hell according to sikh dharm? because i've always thought we sikhs did'n belive in such thing as hell (i am new to sikhism, therefore these stupid questions )..

is it like the islamic hell with people burning and suffering for eternal, or is it more like a "mental" state.

does'nt the last mean that, people not following sikhism wall end in hell?

No it doesnt mean that because even Sikhs can go to Hell.

What Guru Ji is saying is that what ever religion you are of, what ever religious ritual or duties you perform all are useless with out remebering God. If you dont remeber God but perform religious rituals and duties you are performing them with an ego and only thinking of self gain. The best thing to do is to recite God's Name.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Shabad is by Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Gauree on Pannaa 242

gourree mehalaa 5 ||

Gauree, Fifth Mehl:

ra(n)g sa(n)g bikhiaa kae bhogaa ein sa(n)g a(n)dhh n jaanee ||1||

He is immersed in the enjoyment of corrupt pleasures; engrossed in them, the blind fool does not understand. ||1||

ho sa(n)cho ho khaattathaa sagalee avadhh bihaanee || rehaao ||

"I am earning profits, I am getting rich", he says, as his life passes away. ||Pause||

ho sooraa paradhhaan ho ko naahee mujhehi samaanee ||2||

"I am a hero, I am famous and distinguished; no one is equal to me."||2||

jobanava(n)th achaar kuleenaa man mehi hoe gumaanee ||3||

"I am young, cultured, and born of a good family." In his mind, he is proud and arrogant like this. ||3||

jio oulajhaaeiou baadhh budhh kaa marathiaa nehee bisaraanee ||4||

He is trapped by his false intellect, and he does not forget this until he dies. ||4||

bhaaee meeth ba(n)dhhap sakhae paashhae thinehoo ko sa(n)paanee ||5||

Brothers, friends, relatives and companions who live after him - he entrusts his wealth to them. ||5||

jith laago man baasanaa a(n)th saaee pragattaanee ||6||

That desire, to which the mind is attached, at the last moment, becomes manifest. ||6||

aha(n)budhh such karam kar eih ba(n)dhhan ba(n)dhhaanee ||7||

He may perform religious deeds, but his mind is egotistical, and he is bound by these bonds. ||7||

dhaeiaal purakh kirapaa karahu naanak dhaas dhasaanee ||8||3||15||44|| jumalaa

O Merciful Lord, please bless me Your Mercy, that Nanak may become the slave of Your slaves. ||8||3||15||44||Total||

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Shabad is by Guru Raam Daas Ji in Raag Gauree on Pannaa 300

ma 4 ||

Fourth Mehl:

houmai maaeiaa sabh bikh hai nith jag thottaa sa(n)saar ||

Egotism and Maya are total poison; in these, people continually suffer loss in this world.

laahaa har dhhan khattiaa guramukh sabadh veechaar ||

The Gurmukh earns the profit of the wealth of the Lord's Name, contemplating the Word of the Shabad.

houmai mail bikh outharai har a(n)mrith har our dhhaar ||

The poisonous filth of egotism is removed, when one enshrines the Ambrosial Name of the Lord within the heart.

sabh kaaraj thin kae sidhh hehi jin guramukh kirapaa dhhaar ||

All the Gurmukh's affairs are brought to perfect completion; the Lord has showered him with His Mercy.

naanak jo dhhur milae sae mil rehae har maelae sirajanehaar ||2||

O Nanak, one who meets the Primal Lord remains blended with the Lord, the Creator Lord. ||2||

Its not easy talking about hell and Heaven, because according to Sikhi there are Millions of Hells as well as Millions of Heaven. We also believe in reincarnation and each incarnation has its known Hell and Heaven, incarnated in the human form also comes with its own hellish and heaven'ish experiences. The human form is different to the other forms because us humans have the abilty to break the cycle of birth and death and be one with God.

i see. but do we belive in the islamic form of hell where people will be burned and tortured?

Well I believe Hell Fire is inside us much like Heaven. When we do things with the throught of lust (Kaam), anger (Krodh), greed (Lobh), attachment (Moh), pride (Ahankar) and we experience hell, we burn ourselves, God doesnt burn us. How can any father burn his own child, if we are a part of him?

When you think of God none of the vices enter the mind. The Five vices are the properties of ego. This is why Guru Ji is always say remember God, remember God.