Building Mass - Working Out

akaali

Just wondering if we got any singhs out here that currently working out or have in the past. What routines have u been using? Sukhraj, a new member, posted about, www.westside-barbell.com , very good site. Looks like they train some of the top lifters.

I'm planning to build mass here, i got a 4 day program going on. I'm 160lbs, doing sets of 185lbs for squat, 145-155 sets with bench press (one max about 170).

day 1: back/biceps

day 2: shoulders/abs

day 3: legs

day 4: chest/triceps

what u guys think, for reps i try to do a weight where i can do less than 6 reps, with about 3-4 sets.

Let's here some stories. Sukhraj im waiting :)

Make sure you're recovering properly between workouts and eating enough calories to build mass. How tall are you? Just asking to get an idea of your body type - makes a difference to how you should train. A good idea would be to go to a site like www.t-nation.com and do a search for "hypertrophy" - some of the best trainers/ nutritionists around post on that site, not your usual rubbish from Flex etc. There are some good programs there, and it's free. Good to see Singhs getting strong...

I'm 5 foot 11/11.5ish. I eat tons of food, almost every two-three hours. Maintain a high protein diet. I think my nutritional side of it is fine.

Sukhraj u mentioned u took the herb Tribulus, in my class we studied that it increases ones testosterone levels, is this safe? What your experiences with it. thanks

I'm 5 foot 11/11.5ish. I eat tons of food, almost every two-three hours. Maintain a high protein diet. I think my nutritional side of it is fine.

Sukhraj u mentioned u took the herb Tribulus, in my class we studied that it increases ones testosterone levels, is this safe? What your experiences with it. thanks

You must be quite lean (or skinny...)at the moment judging from your height/weight, how long you been training for, and how much you gained? Don't be afraid of saying goodbye to your abs during your bulking phase - a little fat helps create an anabolic environment. I'd stay away from tribulus at your stage, stick to loads of food, milk and hard work. Creatine is ok as are mineral supps like ZMA (Zinc, Magnesium).

Stick to basic compound lifts ie Bench, squat, deadlift, rows for the core of your routine - you don't really need small isolation movements yet. It's also important to change your routine every 6 weeks or so to prevent your body adapting. Where did u get your current routine from? If it's working, fine. If not, I can send you the program I found most effective when getting started years ago - it could save u months of trial and error but is impractical if u at uni or work. There some good articles at www.elitefts.com - check them out.

I've been bulking for about a month (i started going to the gym consistently then), gained a little, not as much as i hope. Before then it was really on and off for about a year. A year ago, I remember i couldnt do sets of 80lbs on a bench, now i can do like double that. I'm also 18 years of age , turned that a couple of months ago.

My workout routine is as follows:

day 1: back/biceps

- Var Bar Pull down for lats

- Seated Rows

- Hyperextensions

- Soon to be deadlifts

- Biceps i change reguarly, but , dumbells curls

- Preacher curls

- Started Cable Curls

- Soon to be pullups

day 2: shoulders/abs

- Dumbell Military Press

- Dumbell Arnold Presses

- Upright Barbell Row

- Front Raises

Abs is various different crunches etc.

day 3: legs

- Squats (of course)

- Leg Extension

- Hamstring Curls

- Calf Raises

day 4: chest/triceps

- Dumbell Flat Bench Press (started doing dumbells recently, at about 60lbs each)

- Incline Dumbell Press

- Cable Flies

- Dips for triceps

- Tricep pulldowns

Come to think of it, my routine looks of that of a body builder not a powerlifter....

I recently started using dumbells for a lot of exercises, i was thinking itll help with stablizer muscles, on top of that i'll get a much better range of motion (for bench and military press). What you think? Some guys have said go to a bar, really low reps that = pure power gain.

I have the summer to chill, then starting my first year of uni, so until then, (2 months) I can really hit the gym hard, and I'd love some advice.

i use to come on the forum a longggg time ago, saw a pic of him , it was his avatar, jeeeeez, hes a beast, havnt seen him post in a long time though

he a uk singh?

there is only one beast.

8)

(ps i'm on about me)

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/paul4.htm

Hypertrophy is the way to go to add muscle mass.

I used to weight 110. Now 147 lbs. with basically no body fat. I'd say less than 7%.

Keep a high protein intake. I found a great shake to gain mass is NLarge2 the chocolate one is great. Nlarge provides a mass building protein and calorie rich drink.

Creatin is good too.

aaah yeah.

back to my original (dumb?) question that kinda got overlooked:

is there any merit in deliberately doing 2 opposite excercises in the same session... e.g. doing chest & biceps instead of chest & triceps?

• 2 years later...