~ Sikh Student Camp Coming up ~

SIKHSTUDENTCAMP_POSTER_lowres.jpg

Well, the time is nearing for the next Sikh Student Camp (in England) and I’ve been thinking alot about all my Sikh brothers and Sisters over in England who I met last Summer at camp and elsewhere. I wish I could be there again this year. Those two weeks in England were amazing and really opened a lot of doors for me in many ways.

I was raised in a very different way than your average Sikh and was not used to what I see often today in the "Sikh World" (Sikhs fighting with Sikhs, stupid politics, hurting others, judging, criticizing, slandering, fanaticism, empty ritual, etc.). Many of my interactions with Sikhs left a feeling of being judged or looked down upon, like I was doing something wrong and was being mislead. So, when I went to England last summer as an adventure to connect with my Sikh brothers and Sisters I had no idea what to expect. I sort of expected the same thing, and thought it might be the normal non-experiencial and intellectual stuff which seems to be dominant. I can’t tell you how surprised I was on how different things were to my expectations. Maybe I just don’t get out enough (All these years behind a computer)?

It was so refreshing to meet other Sikhs who shared love for the Guru in a heart centered and open way. Without condition or judgement. At the camp everyone was included and welcome. Whether they had cut hair or wore a super turban didn’t make a difference. The things we did were meant to give people their own personal experience of being a Sikh; Something that they could take away with them, and give a better understanding of what being a Sikh is about, and WHY.

I had such an experience in England. The camp, the feeling, the sangat, the experiences, the new friendships, the sharing, the learning, the emotions, the release, the crying, the laughing, the running, the meditating, the singing, Feeling one with everyone. This is some of what I got at camp.

This year SikhNet’s very own, Guruka Singh will be teaching at Sikh Student Camp (UK). Many of you may know him through the many wonderfull video interviews that I have posted here and on SikhNet. I have learnt so many priceless things from Guruka Singh over the years and never fail to have a big smile when I see his glowing face He has a certain joy and loving way of connecting with people. Whenever I have some challenge in my life he always has something positive to say and makes me see it from a different perspective. I know he will be great at camp and share lots of "Gems" with everyone.

So, if you are 17 years of age or older and want to have an experience, head over to England for a Sikh Student Camp. It’s ony a month away (Aug. 20th), but It’s not too late! You don’t have to live in England to go to the camp! But if you do live in England then you don’t have any excuses Take a week out of your year to work on yourself and connect with your soul. You deserve it!

If you are interested in learning more about the camp or registering you can visit their website at:

http://www.sikhstudent.org

Ps. You can see some of the pictures and videos from my adventures in England and Sikh Student Camp from last year on my blog archives: August 2005 and September 2005

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!!

I've been to this camp and i promise you i will not be going there again!

I learnt something from this camp that i would never learn anywhere else!!

When you go to a sikh camp you are meant to learn about Sikhi and the Sikhi Rehat not jokes...

No one should look at the fancy dastars and the fancy hair cuts but everyone should have there head covered no matter what where Guru Ji is present.

When you are in Guru Ji's company you are meant to everything aside and only focus at Guru Ji, not the sangat or who is wearing what or looking dirty at someone....Im sure you dont gain anything from Guru Ji when you do that...Im sure you parents must have taught you that!

So many jokes and all in front of Guru Ji. Guru Ji is watchs every move..

Guys get away with everything, only a girl will know....

Fateh!!!

Bhenji, you may find it interesting to read some of the older historical texts on Guru Gobind Singh ji's darbar.

One famous Udasi mahapurush (Balu Hasna I think) was reknowned for being a hilarious comedian and at the same time one of the greatest Udasi saints, so much so that he spent his time as a hazoori of Guru Gobind Singh ji and an essential part of the Guru's darbar. Sikhi is not living in fearful sadness, that kind of morbidity is criticised by Guru ji! Hence, cherdi kala.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!!

Im sure when Guru Gobind Singh Ji gave Amrit to the 5 Panj Pyare there was no comedian there was there, or where you there???

Have you sat down and actually listened to Guru Ji and Gurbani?? From what your saying, i dont think so mate... I am new to Sikhi and even i have a little bt of sense as to whether there should be jokes infront of Guru Ji or total respect..

Baba Nand Singh Ji, Baba Isher Singh Ji Rara Sahib Wale, ive been listening to there kirtan since i have been in Sikhi and never once did they say "Singho, make sure you bring a comedian when you do a Akhand Paath at the Gurdwara" "Make Sure you have plenty of jokes and a good laugh infront of Guru Ji"

Ah I got it a bit wrong, Balu Hasna was in Guru Hargobind's darbar not Guru Gobind Singh's. He was one of the first four dhuan type udasis. Guru Hargobind ji named him 'hasna' for his humour. The funny anecdotes are recorded in a separate text and I can't remember what its called, i thought it was one of those early 'twarikh-i-...' ones but its not. when I remember I'll put it up.

This has reminded me of another example of this, the author of the dabistan (the huge persian chronicle of religious activity of the day such as the sufis and the various 'hindus' from around the 17th century) records a cheeky sadhu effectively calling Guru Hargobind a donkey and the Guru with wit taking it on the chin! That one's in that book translated by JS Grewal called something like 'Persian documents on the Sikhs'.

I dont think i need anyone to tell me what time of the month it is, im just taking it seriously. I take Sikhi seriously as it has become my life now. Yes i know how to laugh and i know how to joke but when Guru Ji is teaching me there Sikhi then i will take on what they are saying and not joke about it. Sikhi isnt a joke too me, it might be to you artistformalyknownasodhi.

tsingh, we were talking about the camp wernt we?? :?

that joke was hilarious, if i remember correctly, the udasi was saying everything is you (speaking to Guru Hargobind Sahib ji Maharaj), and then a donkey walked by, and udasi looked at it , and said even that, and they looked at each other and laughed, lol , something like that, tSingh plz post the full thing in a seperate thread, that was hilarious

lol, why u got ur kachera in a twist...

if u wanna be serious and all, its cool...but dont be spreading the hate...that aint sikhi.

if u want a ultra strict rehat go for it.... but dont go cussing other peeps...other wise ur just as bad as them.

if u did listen to gurbani, and did chill with guruji...u would be more chardi kala..and not so insecure with ur self that u gotta cuss other peeps to have some self value.

PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH.

maybe u should go to Boss Camp...it sounds like for your thing...

Sikh Student Camps all about diversity and giving peeps the options to choose what they want to do with there life. not force them with emotional Blackmail....

get a social life...and smile...it will change your life :D

if your offended...its cool