Panj Sau Sakhi

We have all heard of various sau sakhis, the best one that i have come across is sau sakhi steek by pratap singh mehta.

It mentions in this steek as sau sakhi was blessed to bhai Gurbaks Singh Ji (Ram kaur) that when Dasam Patsaha Guru Gobind Singh went to nanded he blessed five Singhs with 100 Sau Sakhis each, which were the Panj Sau sakhis.

I was wandering if anyone could suply any information regarding these panj sau sakhis as they have been kept gupt for too long, anything from any sakhis coming from these texts would be great. I also heard a while ago that these panj sau sakhis were blessed to five Singhs who were saints, as maharaj dasam pita wanted each of them to have extra gupt information when doing parchar.

punj soo sakhi as far as i know it was in form in 5 pothi sahibs which were not copied ... and out of which 4 pothis got gupt in dareya when guru sahib left anandpur sahib with other text ... and only one pothi was some how saved .... i dont think so guru sahib blessed them to singhs .... may be wrong !!!

Fathe

One thing is for sure that they are gupt.

On a side note, there is a sakhi in the known sau sakhis that have a linking to the great Sant Jarnail Singh Ji khalsa Bhinranwale and the events in 1984.

One quote goes something like this:

'Tabi ik singh khalsa pargat hoy,

kela baravey harmander mai aan,

raaj chalsi randey ka,

fauj charavey haramander mei aan,

baganey bau marengai singh Guru ki shaan.'

The sakhi goes on longer than this mentioning various issues, including how then when the blood reaches the ankle of the hourse, then the blood will reach the thigh or knee of the hourse the Singhs khalsa raaj will come, or at least something along the lines of that, (might be wrong).

Any thoughts on these texts on sau sakhi would be apreciated.

• 1 month later...

Hello Gentleman,

I am not sure where I stand on the apocalyptic or prophecy element of sikhi as much of what we go by is communal in nature and 'pressed' after the fact. This is why bani's such as karni nama and naseehat nama are deemed apocryphal because they can't be solely attributed to the Guru's.

On this note, in doing veechar of gurbani, I find that if the current moment (which is always fleeting) is broken down into 3 semi-stable parts, then our current moment (the one we are in) can be seen as the just past, just passing, and about to pass...and I find (the 'general' pattern) is the need to fix the 'just past'...which means the sense of urgency for us as individual before we move onto the next phase is of optimum importance. Hence, communal or prophetic notions of a golden time just don't seem to jive with me...call me 'poppy'

Are "Guru Kian Sakhian", not known to be composed by Sarup Singh Kaushish in 1790, based on the Vahis? I "think" they are the basis of sau sahki, if not could someone correct me.

The current version is based Giani Garja Singh's work, which was beased on a copy of a translation made by Chhaijju Singh Kaushik in 1869. Original Sakhian were written in Bhattakshri are totalled 112 sakhian.

Enough scope for inaccuracies to seep in I think, particularly as they mention that 10th Master gave amrit to himself, that he bestowed the 5 k's (including keski) and reference is made to the modern version of the ardaas....

Thats not to say that there are no educational/historical facts therein - or if the original Guru ki sakhian could be found, that they would not be authentic (or more authentic the present)...

i personally think that karni nama and naseehat nama are defintley banis written by maharaj, the only way to understand these are by reading them in Gurmukhi, rather then the english, as this gives a much better understanding of banis such as these. PLus Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Khalsa Bhindranvale also stated karni nama was actually the said bachan of Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj.

I have read the gurmukhi versions of both, and I guess everything else comes down to how much credibility we give the source. My question is, would Guru Nanak not have spoken to the people in the vernacular (local language)? if so, where is that? if it were only compiled in gurmukhi, where was it found....over time chinese whispers have become preached fact. This is very dangerous

Interesting point veer BF. By way of this application, would not all the history we have today be at risk of the Chinese whisper...

We can't discount everything, and we can't verify everything either... all we can hope for is that the Chinaman, was listening carefully and had honest tendencies.

Par Bhai Gurdas Ji's vaaran, which we all assume were verified by Shaheedi Sirtaj Guru Arjun Dev Ji, we have to use Aad Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, our limited budhi and faith to personally determine what we hold to be true.

Sri Guru Granth Sahib, from the little I have read and understood, does not tend to prophesize or place any emphasis on prophecy, rather Satguru gives focus to the here and now, the anmol gift of insaaniyat jeevan, and finding and realising our true destiny.

Shaheediyan bhai sahib, you've echoed my sentiments. You are 100% right! the chinese whispers come down to dogmatic/doctrinal issues. Our source for what matters the most is 100%....why is there the need to overcompensate...If I had a chocolate cake and complained about the cherry not being there...is there not something wrong in my 'buddhi'....I say kach da glaas steel da glaas...tell others to go find the cherry and gobble down that sucker on my own!

my point here being that when the source isn't 100% pure. Ie. kavi santokh singh, whose knowledge I matha teyk too, because he liked his afeem and nashay...anything to do with nashay is attributed to his weakness and anything that makes guru sahib look purer than pure is 'correct'....I think that is weak