Question: Waheguru Naam simran

Dear Sangat ji,

Everytime I read bani mind wonders in following... what is the origin of naam 'WAHEGURU' , who started it,why We chant Waheguru Shabad which is not mentioned in Sri guru Granth Sahib ji instead of other Naams eg. Har Har or Ram Ram?

Please note I am not asking about Akal Purakh itself, I am wondering origins of Word/ Shabad Waheguru. 

Thank you in Advance. 

Sat sri Akal 

10 hours ago, Bhoolea bhatkea said:

Dear Sangat ji,

Everytime I read bani mind wonders in following... what is the origin of naam 'WAHEGURU' , who started it,why We chant Waheguru Shabad which is not mentioned in Sri guru Granth Sahib ji instead of other Naams eg. Har Har or Ram Ram?

Please note I am not asking about Akal Purakh itself, I am wondering origins of Word/ Shabad Waheguru. 

Thank you in Advance. 

Sat sri Akal 

Brother Bhoolea Jee, 

indeed you have asked a beautiful and a quite a deep question.

One thing is clear, whatsoever name we can recite, read or write, can be traced in time and history, means it started at some point.  And all the divine names, are  descriptive attibutes/qualties/ of the Divine.  

And as such, these are many, like Ram, Rahim, Khuda, God, Govind, Hari, Satnam, Bhagwant, Akal Purukh, Shabad, Nam, Dhur kee Bani, Sachee Bani, Amrit Bani, Akhand Keertan, and so on .....

WAH E GURU , is also a descriptive name of that ultimate Truth, where  Wah stands for that  wonderous  being, who is Guru, the Aad Guru, Shabad or Nam, the creative force of all that exists seen or unseen. 

But definetely, that Power Waheguru is not the word itself, for if it was so, how could a simple word which can be written or read, create all the limitless and countless creations upon creations ....

People tend to mistake Nam, for literally name. 

Bhagat Kabir Jee in this respect says in the Bani: 

ਬਾਵਨ ਅਛਰ ਲੋਕ ਤ੍ਰੈ ਸਭੁ ਕਛੁ ਇਨ ਹੀ ਮਾਹਿ ॥
Baavan Ashhar Lok Thrai Sabh Kashh Ein Hee Maahi ||
Through these fifty-two letters, the three worlds and all things are described.

ਏ ਅਖਰ ਖਿਰਿ ਜਾਹਿਗੇ ਓਇ ਅਖਰ ਇਨ ਮਹਿ ਨਾਹਿ ॥੧॥
Eae Akhar Khir Jaahigae Oue Akhar Ein Mehi Naahi ||1||
These letters shall perish; they cannot describe the Imperishable Lord. ||1||

ਜਹਾ ਬੋਲ ਤਹ ਅਛਰ ਆਵਾ ॥ 
Jehaa Bol Theh Ashhar Aavaa ||
Wherever there is speech, there are letters.

ਜਹ ਅਬੋਲ ਤਹ ਮਨੁ ਨ ਰਹਾਵਾ
Jeh Abol Theh Man N Rehaavaa ||
Where there is no speech, there, the mind rests on nothing.

In another Ang, he again says:

ਬਾਵਨ ਅਖਰ ਜੋਰੇ ਆਨਿ

Baavan Akhar Jorae Aan ||

The fifty-two letters have been joined together.

ਸਕਿਆ ਨ ਅਖਰੁ ਏਕੁ ਪਛਾਨਿ

Sakiaa N Akhar Eaek Pashhaan ||

But people cannot recognize the One Word of God.

ਸਤ ਕਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਕਬੀਰਾ ਕਹੈ ॥

Sath Kaa Sabadh Kabeeraa Kehai ||

Kabeer speaks the Shabad, the Word of Truth.

ਪੰਡਿਤ ਹੋਇ ਸੁ ਅਨਭੈ ਰਹੈ

Panddith Hoe S Anabhai Rehai ||

One who is a Pandit, a religious scholar, must remain fearless.

ਪੰਡਿਤ ਲੋਗਹ ਕਉ ਬਿਉਹਾਰ

Panddith Logeh Ko Biouhaar ||

It is the business of the scholarly person to join letters.

ਗਿਆਨਵੰਤ ਕਉ ਤਤੁ ਬੀਚਾਰ

Giaanavanth Ko Thath Beechaar ||

The spiritual person contemplates the essence of reality.

And as First Patshahee says right from the begining:  Ik Oankar, Satnam. 

This means, there is only One creator, which is the Nam and this Nam is Truth, means it never changes in its essence, and exists beyond the parameteres of time and space, which means, it has existed then when there was no time.

This Naam, is not something physical, nor astral,  neither causal, but a highest level of Consciousness, which is Parbrahm, which means that Truth, which is beyond Brahm/Maya, thus eternal and Infinite. 

The Bani says: Aapeenay aap sajeeo, apeenay racheeo Nao.  This Nao/Nam, is the true nature or form of that ultimate Truth.

And that very Truth at our human level, came as Guru Sahiban, Gurmukh Jan, or Bhagat Jan of the highest level, such as those mentioned in Gurbani, in order to reveal  itself  in our human understandable language,  as seen in the following verse:

ਗੁਰੁ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਪਰਮੇਸਰੁ ਆਪਿ

Gur Paarabreham Paramaesar Aap ||

The Guru is the Supreme Lord God; He Himself is the Transcendent Lord

For if  was not so, nobody can ever imagine even a tiny reality of it, we are already agyanis, lost in our own huge moorakhta, our reality is seen in the following verse:

ਤੀਰਥਿ ਭਰਮੈ ਰੋਗੁ ਨ ਛੂਟਸਿ ਪੜਿਆ ਬਾਦੁ ਬਿਬਾਦੁ ਭਇਆ ॥

Theerathh Bharamai Rog N Shhoottas Parriaa Baadh Bibaadh Bhaeiaa ||

Wandering around at sacred shrines of pilgrimage, the mortal is not cured of his disease. Reading scripture, he gets involved in useless arguments.

And they told us also, nobody can reach Him, without boarding the vessel of Nam. 

Now the question is how to get hold of that Nam? Where is that Nam? 

The answers to such questions are found within the Bani: 

ਨਾਮੁ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਾਇਆ ਸਾਧ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਲ

Naam Dhrirraaeiaa Saadhh Kirapaal ||

By the Kind Mercy of the Holy Saints, the Naam has been implanted within me.

Once that Name has been blessed on us, what are we supposed to do ?

Well, the Bani says: Jin Har japeeya, se Har hoeeya. Bani could never ever be so clear. The Bani says: do the jaap of that Nam alone , and you shall merge and become one with that Shabad/Nam. At other place, the Bani says: Jap mun Satnam, sadaa Satnam

In reality, whatever "word" or "name" is given to us by Guru Sahiban, has their power in it, to cleanse us and reunite us with our origin; it could be anything, as seen in the folloowing verse:  Nanak das mukh se jho bholay , eehaa uhaa Sach hovay

So if Guru Sahiban (the embodiment of the highest Truth) say repeat or meditate on Waheguru or Satnam for example, that is most sacred mantra valid for us, for it is uttered by them, and bestowed as a blessing upon us.

By meditating and focusing alone on Nam as instructed by Guru Jee, we are able to withdraw our soul consciousness within ourselves to the higher spiritual realms, and gradually also wipe away all our total karmas / sanskaras, thus become that much pure/pavitar, to board on the jahaaz of Nam, thus reach our Nijh Ghar in Sach Khand, in the lap of Satnam.

All wadeeayee and mahima is of Guru and Gobind, the 2 aspects of the same Truth.

SSA.

Thank you everyone for detailed responses and tips. These doubts which mind creates are very distracting and really send you in wandering . While reading Gurbani, this question pops up so many times why none of bani in Sri Guru Granth Sahib mentions word Waheguru but mentions many other NAAM. 

Then I believe that as awareness rises these doubts should clear up. 

Its all possible with Wahegurus grace and forgiveness. Hopefully time will come when there will be progress in mind focus as well as rise in awareness. 

Sat sri Akal 

On 6/13/2020 at 8:34 AM, Bhoolea bhatkea said:

Thank you everyone for detailed responses and tips. These doubts which mind creates are very distracting and really send you in wandering . While reading Gurbani, this question pops up so many times why none of bani in Sri Guru Granth Sahib mentions word Waheguru but mentions many other NAAM. 

Then I believe that as awareness rises these doubts should clear up. 

Its all possible with Wahegurus grace and forgiveness. Hopefully time will come when there will be progress in mind focus as well as rise in awareness. 

Sat sri Akal 

SSA brother Bhoolea Jee,

in addition to my post above, this much I would like to add: 

All written and spoken names of the Lord, as  said are descriptive, they have a time of when they started. His lovers when realized Him  within themselves, placed before us  these names as per the attributes/qualities they saw in Him.

But all these names, are just names like  when a mother calls her children;  like my heart, my queen, my champion, my king, etc ..... so you see the relation of a mother with  her child is not based on words or names, but is a relation of love above anything.

Though she uses all these words/names to call her child, out of love.

In a similar way, the True Nam, Anhad Nam, Satnam, Waheguru, Sachee Bani, Akhand Keertan, Amrit Bani, Akal Purukh, etc  etc ....  are again His attributive names. 

And they are so pure, that when we meditate on anyone of them, with love , with sharda, with purity in mind,; we are able to concentrate and withdraw our soul consciousness within ourselves at the spiritual and subtle realms and with His kirpa, reach to a point where we get hold on that changeless creative Nam throughout the yugas, which is in all in same measure irrespective of caste, creed or nationality.  For all carry His Jot.

So, it is by the practice of meditation on One of His names, which will ultimately reunite us with Him.

Simran meditation of these names is the just the begining of our spiritual journey towards Sach Khand.

From then on as we progress, there comes a time, when we need not simran anymore, for then we have gained that much purity that we have developed our finer faculties of perceiving that all Omnipresent Nam, with its Lights and sounds...  we just close our eyes and we catch hod of that subtle Nam and move further within and higher.

So to conclude, our true nature is Nam, our origin is Nam, our destination is Nam, everything is that Nam, and it is to this very Nam, Unwritten Law, Unspoken language, Anhad Bani, to which we have to strive and manifest within us, as per means of our salvation and cutting off for once and ever the chains of "chaurasee ka chakar" of the unendable cycle of births and deaths.

Stay blessed.

On 6/13/2020 at 1:04 PM, Bhoolea bhatkea said:

why none of bani in Sri Guru Granth Sahib mentions word Waheguru but mentions many other

Not true bro

' Waheguru' appears 17 times in SGGS ji to be precise. Though I agree it's less than Ram, Hari, Har etc other names but it still does. Also it appears many times in Dasm bani

https://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Waheguru

On 6/18/2020 at 4:14 AM, harsharan000 said:

All written and spoken names of the Lord, as  said are descriptive, they have a time of when they started. His lovers when realized Him  within themselves, placed before us  these names as per the attributes/qualities they saw in Him.

But all these names, are just names like  when a mother calls her children;  like my heart, my queen, my champion, my king, etc ..... so you see the relation of a mother with  her child is not based on words or names, but is a relation of love above anything.

Though she uses all these words/names to call her child, out of love.

In a similar way, the True Nam, Anhad Nam, Satnam, Waheguru, Sachee Bani, Akhand Keertan, Amrit Bani, Akal Purukh, etc  etc ....  are again His attributive names. 

Thank you Harsharan bhaji for such a deep and detailed insight into the NAAM. Its very helpful to help me understand that not to get lost in which naam this one or that one but instead jaaping naam with love and devotion.

On 6/18/2020 at 4:14 AM, harsharan000 said:

Simran meditation of these names is the just the begining of our spiritual journey towards Sach Khand.

From then on as we progress, there comes a time, when we need not simran anymore, for then we have gained that much purity that we have developed our finer faculties of perceiving that all Omnipresent Nam, with its Lights and sounds...  we just close our eyes and we catch hod of that subtle Nam and move further within and higher.

Yes bhaji this is where I need to have patience and try even harder to latch onto jaap and get going. But at the moment its very hard and not working out. With Wahegurus grace waking up at amrit vela is no issue but doing more that an hour of sitting and meditation is. Also I find it very hard to concentrate on jaap. Hopefully that will improve over time.

Then I thought to myself if Waheguru ji have broughtme upto this point they will take me further up. Im not looking for any experiences but just want go back to true home. May Waheguru blessed us with enlightenment. 

Thank you again for taking time to write a detailed account of your own understanding of it. Muchly appreciated 

On 6/19/2020 at 5:01 AM, Still nascent said:

Not true bro

' Waheguru' appears 17 times in SGGS ji to be precise. Though I agree it's less than Ram, Hari, Har etc other names but it still does. Also it appears many times in Dasm bani

https://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Waheguru

Thank you brother for that. So far in Santhya of Sri guru Granth Sahib ji I havnt seen it thats why I said haha. Should have waited for the entire santhya to finish. 

2 hours ago, Bhoolea bhatkea said:

A) With Wahegurus grace waking up at amrit vela is no issue but doing more that an hour of sitting and meditation is. Also I find it very hard to concentrate on jaap. Hopefully that will improve over time.

B)Then I thought to myself if Waheguru ji have broughtme upto this point they will take me further up. Im not looking for any experiences but just want go back to true home. May Waheguru blessed us with enlightenment. 

A)Good to hear these your sincere words above. About lack of concentration.... do not worry much, for the mind has been wandering outside since we stepped into the mayavee creation long long ago... nevertheless our job is to try to sit and meditate and give it the antidote of His  Name, first it will rebel for not wanting it, but brother, it is the only jugtee to free our surtee/soul from its clutches and return back to our Nijh Ghar. We have been collecting countless karmas, sanskaras in countless lives, so naturally it will take its time in getting purified and thus enjoy the taste of Nam.

Once the mind gets the taste of Nam, it will be our friend and never ever become an obstacle in our bhakti.

B)This is the right attitude of submission and staying in His bhanaa. Keep it up always, for abiding with it, we continuously receive kirpa from Him, this, helps us and takes us towards Him. It is the highest form of love and devotion for Him, and only in it lies our welfare.

Stay blessed.

SSA.

In relation to this beautiful thread created by brother Bhoolea,  found the following deep and profound awesome verse of Guru Nanak Dev Maharaj Jee :

ਏਕੁ ਸਬਦੁ ਦੂਜਾ ਹੋਰੁ ਨਾਸਤਿ ਕੰਦ ਮੂਲਿ ਮਨੁ ਲਾਵਸਿਤਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ 

Eaek Sabadh Dhoojaa Hor Naasath Kandh Mool Man Laavasithaa 

There is only the One Word of the Shabad; everything else shall pass away. Let this be the fruits and roots of your mind's diet. 

Note: Here, He is telling us, that different Names of Him (written, spoken) , may come and go with time, in different languages, dharmas, etc ......

But, by the meditating practice on those given /passed upon on us by  His Bhagat Jan, His Gurmukhs, Guru Sahiban,  it will  take us to those subtle spheres of consciousness, where only one changless, unspoken, unwritten Shabad/Nam exists;  and it is about this very Nam, of which Guru Jee sings its limitless glory throughout the Bani.

SSA.

ਹੁਕਮੇ ਮੇਲੇ ਸਬਦਿ ਪਛਾਣੈ ॥੧॥

Hukamae Maelae Sabadh Pashhaanai ||1||

By the Hukam of His Command, He unites those who recognize the Word of the Shabad.

*In the verse above of Sree Guru Amar Das Maharaj Jee, He clearly and openly  reveals us the secret of reuniting ourselves with Him.

He says that it is His Hukum as such, that to those who meditate on His Name, and manifest it within themselves, He shall reunite with Himself.

No other tricks, no shortcuts, nor variants, neither  substitute practices are of any avail or help to us, for only His Name, can throughly cleanse us,  and lead us to Him.

It should be noted, that the Truth above, is the hukum literally given by Guru Jee, for the sole purpose of our reunion with Him.

SSA.

Also in Bani there is a lot like a lot of ਮਹਿਮਾਂ of Guru. There are abundant references to the Guru who will help us to understand and carry us to true home. I also read somewhere in first 300 angs of Guru Granth sahib ji that once we are ready Guru will come into our life, cant remember exact qoute. 

So I believe we will come in contact with someone with ultimate Awastha to guide us through different realms of creation and not to just keep enjoying there but carry on thr journey to true home. 

I see a lot of people are against dehdhari gurus which is understandable why! But how come bani refers again and again to what I said above. Sometimes I think I have to think outside the box to understand the true essence of the Gurbani.

7 hours ago, Bhoolea bhatkea said:

Sometimes I think I have to think outside the box to understand the true essence of the Gurbani.

So true brother.

Many a times we are all conditioned by what we see others do, but the fact is, each one has to find his/her own comfort level, and this is where one should listen and follow to what our heart is whispering us; because in the end what matters is, not what people say or think, but that what the Gurbani says, which is the ultimate valid truth.

SSA.