Baba Sachkhand Vasi Sahib Singh Bedi Una Sahib

SAadmin

bsahib.jpg

ssahib.jpg

SAHIB SINGH BEDI, BABA (above)(1756-1834), tenth in direct descent from Guru Nanak, was much revered in Sikh times for his piety as well as for his martial prowess. He was born at Dera Baba Nanak, Gurdaspur district on chet sudi 5,1813 Bk/5 April 1756. Around 1770, his parents Baba Ajit Singh and Mata Sarupah Devi, shifted from Dera Baba Nanak to Una, a town now in Himachal Pradesh in the Sivalik foothills, where the family held extensive jagirs. As a young boy, Sahib Singh studied the Sikh sacred texts and had training in the use of arms. On the death of his father in Calcutta in 1773, Sahib Singh succeeded to the ancestral estate. He became widely reputed for his religious learning and devotees flocked to his magnificently-built fortress at Una to listen to his discourses. A charisma grew around his person and it was considered a signal honour to receive pahul or the Sikh initiatory rite at his hands. At the same time, he became the arbiter of political feuds among the misldars, then engaged in occupying territories in parts of the Punjab. The sardars settled upon him grants of lands and he came to acquire great influence in the Jalandhar Doab and the Majha region.

In 1794, he led a punitive campaign against the Afghan ruler, Ata Ullah Khan, of Malerkotla. Tara Singh Ghaiba, Baghel Singh and Bhanga Singh of Thanesar joined forces with him in this expedition. But Patiala, Nabha, Jind and Kalsia troops intervened on behalf of 'Ata Ullah Khan and Sahib Singh withdrew after receiving a war indemnity. In 1798, helped by the forces of Tara Singh, Gurdit Singh and Jodh Singh, he attacked Rai lliyas, of Raikot, about 40 km from Ludhiana. He occupied Jagraon, Dakha and Baddoval, and then advanced towards Ludhiana and Mansuran and took both these places. A gurdwara in the village of Akhara (Ludhiana district) commemorates his victory. During Shah Zaman's invasion of northern India (1796-98 ), Sahib Singh spearheaded Sikh resistance. When on 7July 1799, the young Sukkarchakkia chief Ranjit Sihgh took possession of Lahore, Sahib Singh threw his weight on his side and helped him to vanquish Gulab Sihgh Bhangi in the battle of Bhasin in March 1800.

At the time of Ranjit Singh's coronation at Lahore on 11 April 1801, Baba Sahib Singh placed the tilak or mark of sovereignty on his forehead. (Below)

tilak.jpg

In 1807, he helped to settle a longstanding dispute between the rulers of Nabha and Patiala. He was also instrumental in arranging a meeting between Sahib Singh of Patiala and Maharaja Ranjit Sihgh at Lakhnaur in November 1808, when they entered in to a bond of mutual fraternity by exchanging turbans. He accompanied Ranjit Sihgh on several of his military expeditions. Later in his life, Baba Sahib Singh devoted himself entirely to preaching Guru Nanak's word. He travelled extensively in the Pothohar, Majha and Malva regions and wherever he went people thronged in large numbers to see him and to pay homage to him. Baba Sahib Singh died at Una on 17 July 1834.

Excerpt taken with courtesy from 'Encyclopaedia of Sikhism', by Harbans Singh

Also look at this link to read more about baba ji.

http://www.sikhawareness.com/sikhawareness...&highlight=bedi

Request to gurmukhs (you know who you are :) ) to translate baba sahib singh bedi inspiring stories in your spare time. :D :D

I have about 101 minutes of audio divan dedicated to baba sahib singh ji bedi una sahib by Sant baba jagjit singh harkhowalie.. which i ll host it in a bit and give out link to the sangat so they can download the divan.. (Thanks to kam veer ji. :D )

• 4 years later...

What always gets me is how different Baba Sahib Singh Bedi is treated compared to Baba Khem Singh Bedi by today's historians. Both were revered equally before a certain group came along, Baba Sahib Singh, as it turns out, was revered much more, even as Satguru by the Maharajas and per Valli Singh has a GURBILAS written about him! Can you confirm it is really called a GURBILAS (Tales of the Guru)? Yet today ppl make a big deal about Baba Khem Singhji for sitting on a small cushion in Darbar Sahib!

Fateh Singh Ji, was Baba Khem Singh Bedi of the same spiritual level as Baba Sahib Singh Bedi? From Kathas I hear from Sant Mahapursh they always have praise for Baba Sahib Singh Bedi, but I never see Mahapursh tell us anything about Khem Singh Bedi. From what I have heard and read of Baba Khem Singh Bedi, he seemed to be full of ego and Haume.

Fatehsingh

The Singh Sabha only came into being a few generations after Baba Sahib Singh, so that is why there hasn't been much written by the Singh Sabha about him. Baba Khem Singh was a contemporary of the Singh Sabha and therefore they criticised his attempt to make himself a 'Guru'.

One interesting fact that comes from the article posted by Neo is that Baba Sahib Singh attacked the Rais of Raikot, the same Rais who a generation earlier had hosted Guru Gobind Singh! The same is the case with Maharaja Ranjit Singh who deposed the widows of the Rai family and gave their territories to his father in law, the Maharaja of Jind.

Maharaja Ala Singh of Patiala had also fought against the son of Rai Kalha, although this could be put down to a territorial struggle.

Another interesting fact is that the Sikhs also fought and killed not only Sher Mohammed of Malerkotla (he spoke up against Wazir Khan's actions against the Sahibzadas) but also around 3-4 other Nawabs of Malerkotla who followed his rule.

Could it be that the Sikhs of the 18th and 19th centuries weren't as sentimental as some Sikhs are nowadays and were always willing to fight anyone who stood in the way of Khalsa Raj?

Valli Singh, you've mistaken my intent BIG TIME. I don't have any interest in indicting anyone in fact I have much respect for the Bedi lineage. Just stating the facts as I have come across them. Look at the picture N30 posted, he is portrayed as no less than the previous Gurus (the Halo, the chaur, etc).

Mithar see Valli Singh's post. There are people who say bad things about Baba Banda as well. You'd have to read studies by independant people and decide for yourself.

Tony, I agree with the fact that Baba Khem Singh was villified mainly by the Singh Sabha and if they were around at the time of Baba Sahib Singh Bedi it would not have been much different, provided there was an interest for them to villify them like in the case of Baba Khem Singhji. But with your statement about Sikhs in the 18th century were not as sentimental as today etc I don't know what point you are trying to make. There is no less or more level of morality among the Sikh leaders then and now.

Sorry Valli Singh, I guess it is different in your Panth, but in Namdhari panth the word 'Sant' is synonym with 'Satguru' and those who are titled 'Sant' by the Satguru receive much of the same level of respect as you see Baba Sahib Singh Ji in the pictures, except the Chaur ofcourse. As you yourself have said, though with different words, the Sants and 'Mahaan Hasti' of those times did recieve the respect no different than the Gurus. Any how, thanks for your valuable input on this subject. I am sure everyone looks forward to reading about Babaji's and Baba Khem Singhji's history. Hopefully it will be done with truthfulness and without hidden agendas as some had done while making up 'Rahetnamas' and 'Hukamnamas'.

Neo Singh ji or Kam Veerji,

If possible could you please put up the link to this Baba Sahib Singh Bedi katha?

Thanks

I will search in my archives see if i can find the audio, if i do i will post it up asap for download...sorry i just need to look for it singh !

Anand mangal :D

Tony Ji, from which granth are you getting your information from? Didnt the Khalsa let Sher Mohammad live and even carry on with his rule as instructed by Guru Gobind Singh Ji for him speaking out against the injustice towards the younger sahibzaday. Maharaj said by speaking out he had saved his families dynasty, his three other brothers were killed in battle.

• 6 years later...

It gives me immense pleasure to read some positive aspects and contribution to the Panth by the  sons of Baba Nanak. All one has heard is they were “Nalayak” ( unfit ) for flimsy reasons to suit vested interest of certain people who are out to tarnish the greatness our Guru.

Sikh history is replete by many luminous personalities who either are thrown into dust bins or gather dust in book racks of our research  Libraries. One such important personality was Bedi Sahib Singh who was 11th in descent from Baba Nanak. He played a pivotal role in the formation of the Khalsa raj by virtue of his descent anointed Magaraja Ranjit Singh the Raj Tilak at Lahore on Baisakhi of Samat 1801 and conferred on him the title -

" Va  Fazale  Akal , Khadme Quam. Valia Khalsa Sarkar, Shere - Punjab Maharaja Ranjit Singh ".

There is also mention in writings of Historian M.S Ahluwalia that at the time of Ranjit Singh’s coronation Baba Ji was the acting Jathedar of Akal Takhat after the demise of Jathedar Naina Singh and it was was Baba Sahib Singh who handed over charge to the the famous Akali Phula Singh.

Baba Ji was known as the " conscience keeper" of the Sikh nation. Fearless he bowed before no king other than the King of Kings , the Akal Purakh  Waheguru. He could admonish the Sikh chieftains when they strayed from the right path and advised them in the hour of crisis.

Contemporary writers held him in great reverence and went to address him as  "Satguru" contrary to his belief that no mortal could be  equated  to the Guru or the Holy Guru Granth Sahib.

One incident often quoted by contemporary writers was when out of reverence Maharaja Ranjit Singh sent his  courier  with a letter addressing Baba Sahib Singh as "Taran Taran Do Jahan de wali", in anger Baba Ji threw him out of court. When the Maharaja learn of this he himself requested audience and asked of his fault, he was met with a reply -  are u not aware no mortal can be addressed as such, you have hurt my  conscience. The Maharaja replied I hold u in great esteem how should I address - u can call me a Hazuria ( his humble servant ) ever since The Maharaja addressed him as Shri Hazoor Baba Sahib Singh.

Lots needs to be read and researched about Baba Sahib Singh in whose protection the Great Maharaja spent his childhood to the time he became the greatest Sikh ruler whose rule is remembered till date the effort on the part of sh Wali Singh and Fateh Singh need to be commended, may be some historian will be inspired to do so. Reference " Gurbilas Baba Sahib Singh” authored by by Bhai Sobha Ram  and the one by Bhai Lala Ram and “Bir Margesh” by Pt Sher Singh.One cannot forget “Raja Yogi” by Sh Ishar singh Nara and ofcource reference in Sikh history books by Kushwant Singh and Principal  Satbir  Singh and Dr Neki which could throw light  to make a beginning.

Gur Fateh.

Another incident from the life of Srimaan Sant Baba Sahib Singh jee Bedi.

Now she attacked Batala with the help of her son-in-law S. Ranjit Singh and took control of it after heavy fighting and M. Jassa Singh Ramgarhia took positions at his Fort Miani and Begowal etc. Both Rani Sada Kaur and Ranjit Singh surrounded the Miani Fort for many months but could not succeed to take control of it. Baba Sahib Singh Bedi, a respected figure at that time tried to make an understanding between the both sides but Rani Sada Kaur refused. On the same night, a heavy flood came in the River Beas and the forces of Rani Sada Kaur and Ranjit Singh were forced to abondan the entire fight with heavy losses. So the nature had helped M. Jassa Singh Ramgarhia to save himself from this situation.

Unquote [1]

[1] - http://www.ramgarhiaheritage.org/index-info-history.html

Bhul chuk maaf

• 11 months later...
Guest Satnam singh Mansuran

It makes me feel really happy to note that people have started discussing the life of Bedi Baba sahib singh the 11th in decent from Baba Nanak who played a pivotal role in creation of the Khalsa Raj .  I would like to correct certain facts being wrongly depected. 

Baba Khem Singh was not a contemporary of Baba Sahib Singh he was his grand son. Who is remembered by the great work of uplift women and educate them by opening many schools collages. His area of work was the Pothohar area where he converted many to Sikhism  which today is in Pakistan.  Was the founder of the Singh Saba movement which fell out with him ( the incident of Giani Dith Singh ) when he joined the British and was Knighted by them for his services and came to be known as Sir Baba Khem Singh. 

Being elder of his two sons  Pothohar area was given to them the younger son Baba Bikrama Singh was allotted the UNA Jagir in (Himachal Pradesh) where fort existed with an army that rebelled against the British in 1847 which should be recognised as the first battle of indipendance but it is not for obvious reasons, he lost all his Jagir land etc was  imprisoned for 14 years where he died in the British Prison. The ruins of the fort at Una bear witness to the British atrocities. 

• 2 months later...