Mind out of Control

Kamal_chauhan

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,

Waheguru ji Ki Fateh.

Beloved brothers and sisters, I need some advice :( . I believe in Guru Jee and their teachings and do occasionally practice Naam Simran :roll: . However the problems I have is that when I am in Gurudwara or when I am listening to Gurbani (which I enjoy as well), I start worrying that my mind is going to think something bad and then unwillingly my mind does start thinking or picturing wrong things which I wouldn’t even like to mention. :oops:

Now I think it is some sort of phobia but I don’t know how to make it go away so I want to ask you intelligent people if you can offer me some advice and also has any of you ever had this kind of problem.

Thanks in advance.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,

Waheguru ji Ki Fateh.

you shouldnt be afraid - these 'bad' things come because you look at them out of fear - focus on what you're there for not on what you're not there for.

Put your mind in Guru Sahibs hands - this man is not ours, it will not listen to us and we have no power over it. It'll wander for a bit then slowly calm down and stick to Gurbani - if you give it the means to do so...ie listen to Gurbani

• 4 weeks later...

I was once told by someone that if a thought enters your mind, let it do so, then let it go; ie say to ur mind, ok, u've had ur thought, now back to focusing... (it doesnt mean sit there with ur eyes closed thinking happy thoughts all day long lol). For example, if i say to you "whatever you do, dont think of an elephant!" whats the first picture that jumps into ur head? so if you tell ur mind DONT think about xyz, the way the mind operates, it will ignore the instruction and just hear the xyz bit, and go and retreive info about it.

mloco is right, few can claim to have full control over their minds, but with time we can discipline them... do some research on the way the mind works and how to program it, its interesting stuff and it may help!

Few other options. If you are listening to Kirtan, then become your ears, let the sound of kirtan flow within you without filter. Relax (not so much that you slouch or become sleepy, relax the body, so the muscles are not tightened) and Feel the emotion within the sound. If you are singing along, then listen to 'your' voice when you sing along.

Also understand that Thought by itself is nothing but a wave that rises and falls, it is YOU that gives fuel to the thought that it becomes a Tsunami. Seperate yourself from the thought and simply observe it without interference regardless of what the content of the thought is. If it arises then let it arise, but stay alert as not to influence it in any way. Observe it, once the thought fades away, return to your Jap/Kirtan etc.

Also a small prayer asking for help from your Guru before sitting down to do Jap/Kirtan always helps.

I think we all get thoughts that we preceive as horrible from time to time, I used to have so many horrible thoughts that i thought i was losing control and going crazy.

We must realise that we are not our thoughts, thoughts are transient. Give recognition to that part of you which is not thinking, which never changes, that is the real you (awareness, the watcher, the observer). Negative thoughts will dissapate after the light of your consciousness just observes them and doesn't get all tangled up in them with "why is this happening to me" , "I am sinful for thinking these thoughts" etc.

You aren't thinking the thoughts, they are happening to you, just observe the clouds in a detached manner and they will part and that which is really you will shine through.

"Thoughts are friends, not enemies. They're just "what is." They appear. They're innocent. We're not doing them. They're not personal. They're like the breeze or the leaves on the trees or the raindrops falling. Thoughts arise like that, and we can make friends with them. Would you argue with a raindrop? Raindrops aren't personal, and neither are thoughts. It's the meaning you attach to those thoughts that you think is personal. Inquire. Meet them with understanding. Once a painful concept is met with understanding, the next time it appears you may find it interesting. The next time it appears, you may find it funny. The next time you may not even notice it. There will be no attachment. I meet thoughts the way I would meet my children. I met them with love, gentleness, and a quiet understanding. I inquire."

Byron Katie

Just to add a contrast to the theme imparted in the above posts. Not all thoughts in the beggining of a seekers journey are bad. A person should always think Shuddha Vidya. This is according to the Trika system of Kashmiri Shaivism thoughts such as I am god, the universe is my, everyting is in me etc... This in my view more closely aligns with the devotional aspect of Sikhism where we should always remember God and keep our mind focused on him and eliminate all other thoughts.

The posts previous to mine seem to be more in line with Vedantic and Buddhist lines of though (incidentally Buddhism and Advaita Vedanta share much in common) and also samkhyan philosophy. The danger with eliminating thoughts, without paying attention to the devotional aspect of samadhi, can result in just a state of sushupti whereby there is just cessation of thoughts like in deep sleep.

My view is that thoughts must be controlled and shudh thoughts should be focusued on with full devotion, to avoid getting lost in lower states of sushupti or void.

This is what Abhinavagupta writes of patanjali's Yoga ideal state of the end of mental fluctuations:

The sleeping state is the result of total non-recognition of the existence of one's body etc. It is short lived and is, on that account, different (from pralaya, the phenomenal dissolution) It is sleep when caused by exhaustion , is swoon if bought about by some defect in some element in the body, is intoxication or madness when caused by some edible material, and is known as samadhi when brought about by ones own free will.

Quoted in BN pandits:specific principles of kashmiri shaivsim

Take the advice given in the previous posts but still focus on waheguru.

Mekhane'ch Jannat veer ji , great post. We are honored to have you in our forum. Please check out meditation section, there are many atamik topics on there which desperately need your views.. :D :D

Vahigurooooooooooooooooooooooooo :D

Our thoughts need fuel from our mind , try watching your thoughts as they come and go without actually being part of it, the thoughts will die.

and than between these thoughts you will get moments without any thoughts and than slowly will get close to your inner self , the jot of waheguru. i might have oversimplified but do try.

But the best thing is when you are listening to kirtan start singing alongside , try to listen and sing , close your eyes , keep your hands folded.

it could be a bad day at work or some other problem thats on your mind but try it works for me may be it works for you. you will regain your concentration, after sometime your mind stops wandering.

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh