Beards

vinegar

My beard is out of control, and it's job interview time.

It's all fuzzy and curly and doesn't pay much attention to my attempts to tame it.

I've tried gel, but the kind of gel that doesn't make your hair all shiny is not strong enough to hold it for more than an hour or so, hair spray doesn't do anything either.

Any advice?

Friend, here is what you should do.

First get a good hair brush, i mean hair brush not comb !

apply the gell on this hair brush and then pressing the hair brush hard to your beard comb it... making the curly hair go straight and sticking with your skin.

once this done, get a black rubber-band and tie the bottom of your beard , making it a pony tail and then tuck the pony tail of the beard under your chin.

once this is done, get a fifty or a cloth and tie it very tight like a tathi on your beard, this will keep the beard pressed hard.. after 30 minutes remove the tathi and your beard will be looking cool !

forgot to add: taking care of the Dhara proplerly i.e. good oil and regular brushing help to 'tame' it. I've also noticed that when Granthi Singhs wear a hazooria over their mouth the sides of the dhara are much neater when they get off duty.....you could try something similar when doing your Nitnem in the morning.

I also think you should leave it how it is.

My husband doesn't do anything to his beard apart from comb it (and obviously shampoo it when he does ishnaan) and he hasn't had a problem with jobs so far. It is fuzzy but no one cares.

People look at the whole more than the specifics, and chances are they will admire your dhara, even if you don't!

well it doesnt matter if you keep it open or you tie it... i dont use gel i usually put oil and tie it.. and it is just a matter of personal dress-up. when I am at home I keep it open. sometimes i go outside i keep it open.

i dont see any problem with tieng or leaving the beard open, its just a matter of personal dress-up..

why do you think tieng beard is taming.

sikhs must always keep dhara prakash, except for in cases of real need such as workign in welder's shop where damage may happen to beard.

Hukum from the Guru. That's why when you go see sant mahapursh, they often tell you to open it. It absorbs positive energy from environment.

Good point kavita ji. I would not like to side with anyone here, but I often find that many parkash dhara people often criticise the people who tie their beards and say they are against anti-gurmat.

I myself tie my beard, it has become a habit, however Id like to keep parkash dhara myself , because tieng the beard can stretch the hair, pluck it and make your hair go bad.

but yes I would like to ask the same question that kavita ji is asking..why not open the kesh !

It is my understanding that it is the Guru's Hukum.

also, tieing the beard damages it. It is also a very westernized thing, Singhs are meant to be lions, we should not tie up our manes.

Keeping hair in a joora protects it from damage, from being pulled etc. Also, that is the form for Sikhs that the Gurus gave us- prakash dhara, and joora under dastaar. I've noticed that I get better concentration when my hair is tied in a joora and energy flows through my body and head better.

It is my understanding that it is the Guru's Hukum.

also, tieing the beard damages it. It is also a very westernized thing, Singhs are meant to be lions, we should not tie up our manes.

Keeping hair in a joora protects it from damage, from being pulled etc. Also, that is the form for Sikhs that the Gurus gave us- prakash dhara, and joora under dastaar. I've noticed that I get better concentration when my hair is tied in a joora and energy flows through my body and head better.

Veer Ji, can you site any source where Guru Saab has specifically pointed out to keeping the beard parkash.

As far as my little knowledge goes, The custom of tieng beard was not prevalent during Guru Jee's time.

Most people whom I have met who are pro-parkash dharas.. claim that Guru Ji never tied beard so we also shouldnt, but if thats the case, then why not tie gol pagri, why not wear bana and all these things.

Guru Gobind Singh ji made us Khalsa. A Khalsa is not a dogmatic person which cannot change with time . A Khalsa can wear pant shirt, can tie the cone shape turban, can tie the beard. The roop of the Khalsa is the 5k's with the kesh, but the Khalsa is not bound with the way you keep your beard tied or untied or what you wear !

If I have to agree with you that it is Gurus hukam to keep dhara parkash, then we also have to agree that all those jawans who died fighting the british rule and who died in world war II went against the Guru's hukam because they tied beard.

In some technical occupations there are hazards with long parkash dhara as the dhara can get pulled, so will it be wrong to tie your beard to protect it from any accidents?

Doctors who perform surgery risk the hair getting into the patient, so will it be wrong if they tied their dhara and put an net underneath it.

I have seen many amritdharis with tied dhari, who do excellent kirtan and are very much absorbed in Guru Jee's simran.

I myself prefer to keep dhari open, but due to certain limitations I cant ! I agree with you that tieng the dhari damages the hair.

I dont think that tieng the dhari is a western thing. Its all in the mind of a person who thinks that way. Some pro-parkash dhara people say that people want to give their face a skinny look like that of a a person who shaves and this is why people tie beards, but again , i dont tie my beard because of that reason. Its all in the mind of every individual person of what he thinks.

this is a seen-baseena rahit. passed down orally, I don't know where it's written, might be written in some rahitnama somewhere. it's fine to tie dhara if it's required for work or to protect the kesh etc. there's nothing hypocritical about that.

b/c *it damages the kesh it is beadbi and therefore not allowed to tie it unless necessary*. our kesh is so important to us, so it's unjustifiiable to tie it o/w.

this is a seen-baseena rahit. passed down orally, I don't know where it's written, might be written in some rahitnama somewhere. it's fine to tie dhara if it's required for work or to protect the kesh etc. there's nothing hypocritical about that.

b/c *it damages the kesh it is beadbi and therefore not allowed to tie it unless necessary*. our kesh is so important to us, so it's unjustifiiable to tie it o/w.

Yes I agree with you, it really does damage the kesh !

I asked my father who is very knowledgeable. He told me the tying the beard tradition as nothing to do with Westernisation but came out of a necessity. In battle when the Singhs would fire a matchlock their beard often caught fire hence the need to tie your dhara. Nothing wrong with it.

agree with you kavita, but these days many ppl think that tieng beard goes against Guru Jee's teachings. I have also some fanatics who compare beard tiers to people who shave. It is totally a person choice wether someone wants to tie or not tie beard.. Lets not make sikhism another taliban , fundu type of thing...plzzzzzz...keep it simple going.

but i have to agree,that tieng the beard results in pulling of thehair, stretching and this makes hair loss on the beard quicker.