Vedic Astrology /Astrology

wahegurubol

It is little more than humbug superstition, just like folk remedies, auyrveda, crystals, numerology, reflexology etc etc...

...but wait, we can't admit to that, since those super duper 3HO Singhs and Singhnis, who as we know "are better Sikhs than the Punjabis" and "don't have Punjabi hang-ups"...they all believe in this and have made $1bln businesses out of such tripe...sorry, I mean they have "spread Sikhi" through this medium...

...whoops did I really say that! OMG! How awful of me!

It is little more than humbug superstition, just like folk remedies, auyrveda, crystals, numerology, reflexology etc etc...

Talk about putting everything/one in the same category. ....auyrveda is a system is medecine developed over thousands of years. The western medecine is only now starting to discover what were considered 'folk tales' actually do work !

sag_roti2,

Please spare me that "The western medecine is only now starting to discover what were considered 'folk tales' actually do work!" talk, there are clear studies showing that auyrveda poses high exposure to heavy metals in many of its 'remedies'.

Not only that, but Indians and New Age Hippies love to regard Auyrveda as a science, yet any explanation that Auyrveda provides for its remedies uses totally unscientific notions such as:

- philisophy

- prayers

- miracle cures

These are items which require faith, not science, so let's leave aside the famous "old is gold" thinking that Indians are obsessed with and wake to smell the roses.

"Even staunch advocates of Ayurveda like cardiologist Dr. M.S. Valiathan admit that 'clinical studies that would satisfy the liberal criteria of WHO World Health Organisation have been alarmingly few from India, in spite of patients crowding in Ayurvedic hospitals" (wikipedia can provide you sources for this statement).

Ayurvedic claims that the symptoms of disease are always related to the balance of the doshas, which can be determined by feeling the patient's wrist pulse or completing a questionnaire.

The fact is that using pulse one cannotdetect diabetes, cancer, musculoskeletal disease, asthma, and "imbalances at early stages when there may be no other clinical signs and when mild forms of intervention may suffice" as proponents of this "ancient indian medical system" like to suggest.

I'm sure you can adequately research the topic to find further information for yourself. I was myself at one time an avid believer in this system and followed it fully under a licensed practioner, reality is that it is little more than sophisticated quackery.

But then if you buy into Deepak Chopra's "ageless body timeless mind" rhetoric, then I guess you'll love Auyrveda and find 'modern western science' to be the root of all evil!

Niranjana veer,

While we are discussing this topic, can you please shed some light on chi healing aka chi energy? is it another hocus pocus?

I show the documentary i was impressed, they use their energy in fingers to heal you with their fingers.

Neo - I would recommend using sources available online to assess the validity of these systems.

I am not suggesting that they are total baloney, however what they claim they can do and that too in a supposed scientific manner is precisely baloney.

By the same token, I would echo a voice of caution, there are pro-Western science articles which totally nullify all 'alternative' treatments including chiropractioners and oesteopaths etc (granted these professions have their fair share of chalartans, but which doesn't), however in some instances these are backed by large pharmaceutical companies for obvious underlying agendas.

There is a lot of legitimacy to ayurvedic medicine. However, lack of scientific methodology and no overseeing body to keep out quacks has resulted in the entire field as a whole degenerating. Ayurvedic treatments are not quackery, but should be subject to scientific method. Currently, many drug companies are patenting traditional medicine remedies and selling them as new discoveries. There's been a fair amount of litigation over the issue.

Xylitol:

"lack of scientific methodology and no overseeing body to keep out quacks has resulted in the entire field as a whole degenerating"

Fine - I will not discount this, however the majority of publicly available Auyrvedic literature is little more than quackery, be it the cheap shots that Deepak Chopra pulls or more established and perhaps "authentic" figures.

Ask any Auyrvedic doctor for an explanation of how his treatment/remedy works, invariably the words "philosophy, faith, prayer etc" come into his explanation - I have no problem with thosse concepts, however, then let's accept that it is not a science but is theology/philosophy.

• 3 weeks later...