Sewa - 'Panch Baar Gang Jaey'

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh !

Warm Greetings to all on this Vaisakhi Weekend !

To mark the occasion I am posting a Kabitt Swaiya of Bhai Gurdas Ji , Kabitt Swaiya number 673. (page 655 in Amrit Keertan)

The video is around twenty years old (apologies for the poor quality) and features Bhai Harbans Singh (Jagadhri ) at Gurdwara Nanak Piaoo, Delhi in around 1988.

This Kabitt - 'Panch Baar Gang Jaey' has always been a favourite of mine - a celebration of selfless Sewa. This rendition includes beautiful Sakhis including some relating episodes from the lifes and Sewa of Guru Nanak Sahib , Guru Angad Sahib, Guru Arjan Sahib and Keertani Bhai Sham Singh Sewapanthi.

Click link to see video ;

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=...03&hl=en-GB

Here are 3 interpretations of this Kabitt

dsc03785vv2.jpg

dsc03786rx4.jpg

* from 'Kabitt Bhai Gurdas - Steek' - Bhai Vir Singh - Bhai Vir Singh Sadan - 2000 edition - page 210

dsc03783ld5.jpg

* from 'Kabitt Swaiye Bhai Gurdas Ji - Steek - Bhai Sewa Singh - Singh Bros - 1996 - page 392

dsc03787mc0.jpg

* from Kabitt Swayye Bhai Gurdas Ji - Shamsher Singh Puri - Singh Bros - 2007 - page 701

Enjoy this beautiful Kabitt

Hope you all have a Wonderful Vaisakhi !

Pyar Naal,

Ranjit Singh 'Freed'

Shaheediyan Bhai Sahib - Can you imagine how long it took for the Nihang Singh Sahib in your Avatar picture to tie his Dumalla ? it is so perfect and neat.

The picture's from Sanzen's flickr collection isn't it ? - every single Hola picture is a classic isn't it - He should publish them or make them available to buy.

Thanks for your kind words (as always)

Yes Veer Ji, from the legendary Sanzen's 'Sikh' set (which is growing quite nicely as of late). He truely is a world class artist.

I have seen various pictures of this same Nihang Singh over the years, they always turn out great, no matter who takes them, you can't fail with such an impressive subject I suppose!

His dhumalla truely is the most impressive in terms of symmetry/perfection.

Try taking your mind back to India in the medieval period, where there were no showers or taps, and you will understand the power of this most important opportunity for a Sikh to help with ishnaan seva for his brother. The same was true of welcoming strangers, providing shelter and providing food.

Bathing also serves a highly spiritual significance in Indic religions (Tiraths). Although the emphasis in Sikhi has been refocused on internal ishnaan, one must still make himself presentable before the Lord and in a more practical manner, practice hygiene and the daily discipline contained within. It's as much a psychological and physical benefit as it is a mental one in my uneducated opinion (trying to avoid stepping into the new age 'lets explain or spiritual matters through science' arena.... I know Niranjana Bhaji is out there watching.....)