Badshah Darvesh

Malwe Da Sher

Sorry, it's off topic, but your avtaar (my, Pita Ji looks very angry) reminded me of SSS Yogi Bhajan once teaching his students that Guru Gobind Singh Ji was 5' 4" tall and had hands down to his knees. The pic does show Guru Ji as being short.

I always wondered where SSS Yogi Bhajan got all these details from, does anyone know the original historical source?

Looking at a photo of the rabab given by Dashmesh Pita to Maharaja Sidh Sen, one would certainly not believe Guru Ji could be anything but a man of reasonable height. The arms down to his knees theory seems a tad far fetched to me - I have never seen such a person in my life.

"quoted from an old posting of Mehtab Singh"

Physical description of the personality of Sahib Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jee

Guru Gobind Singh Jee's exact height was 5 feet 4.2 inches. No man with prettier features ever made by God. He had really long hands, up to His knees or ankles. No one who looked at Him would realize the size of His hands. He could speak loudly but very softly and had a very musical voice. When He would listen, He could look into the eyes of the other person for hours without blinking. He could close His eyes calmly for hours.

His strength was such that He could keep 2 swords and circle them around His body for up to 4 hours at a stretch. He would ask an expert archer Sikh to strike Him with a bow and arrow. He would give 5 arrows to the Sikh, and cut the arrows coming towards Him. Thus He create a shield around him with 2 swords, such was His speed.

He was strictly vegetarian. His diet consisted of nuts, fruits, milk. Occasionally He would have rice and grams and sometimes visit the langar and eat there. He was particularly fond of the langar of Bhai Nand Lal. His dress was always perfectly wrinkle-free. He never wore a wrinkled cloth. He was the neatest, cleanest and most well-behaved man ever God made. He spoke gracefully and lovingly even to his worst enemies.

He never slept more than an hour in His entire life. Maximum sleep He ever had was 1 hour. He would lie down and get up. His mind was very meditative, and completely at rest. He breathed 1 breath per minute. His was the longest inhale and longest exhale. So He never lost His cool in the midst of the worst situations.

He was the epitome of patience. He was so graceful that even in war He would prefer to be graceful than to stoop down and achieve victory. His face was never without a smile. He rarely laughed, because His laugh was thunderous, and made all others laugh and it would go on for hours. Gurujee was the most spiritual poet. No one has ever written a complete poetry in complete naad.

He always had a white hawk. It was so gentle that it would go after the pigeon carrying the message from His enemies, and without hurting the pigeon a single bit, the hawk would take the message after taking down the pigeon, read the message, put it back and let the pigeon go. Thus the white hawk was an intelligence and radar mechanism of Guru Gobind Singh Jee. This hawk was trained to fly over Gurujee at a great height and could communicate with Gurujee's horse through its wing language. Once it came down like an arrow and the horse moved to one side and took shelter immediately without the need for Gurujee's command. There were people hidden to ambush the Sikhs. The hawk has a great place in the life of Gurujee. It was trained to be a perfect surveyor and could communicate with His horse from a height as high as the clouds.

As told by Siri Singh Sahib Harbhajan Singh Khalsa a.k.a. Yogi Bhajan

No way Dasam Patshah was 5ft 4inch. With all due respect to SS Yogi Jee, but that sounds more like a joke. Guru Jee must have been the most beautiful and handsome warrior ever in existence.

As for the long arms reaching to the knees description, that is a description of a tall person. In Punjabi, whenever we want to describe a tall man, it's common to mention that his arms reached his knees (not necessarily literally). For example, Sant Jarnail Singh Jee is known to have had long arms, and people describe them as being long enough to reach his knees, not literally but hinting that Sant Jee was a tall person.

Similarly when Guru Jee is known to have long arms, that hints to the fact that he must have been a tall man himself. No offence to the short people, but short people do not have long arms, infact they will have short arms, and never is the “long arm†description ever used for short people.. So SS Yogi Jee is terribly mistaken in his physical description of Guru Gobind Singh Jee.

I wonder why sri guru gobind singh ji maharaj is always shown as an warrior? i just don't get it. It just does not do any justice to karak guru avtar being showed in warrior form only especially if you read sri dasam patsah beautiful compositions like- jaap sahib, sri akaal ustat, gyan probdh.

I wonder why sri guru gobind singh ji maharaj is always shown as a warrior?

Maharaj Ji was always Shaster-dhari, so that must have something to do with it. Also, a warrior can be a poet as well and Maharaj Ji desribed themselves as being "...Shatri Ko Putt..." so I guess artists always have that image in their minds.

I wish there was a real painting of Guru Sahib.

Guru Gobind Singh Jee dressed as a King of Kings (Shah e Shahnshah), complete with an aristocratic chola, Kalgi and Shastars. His Chole, Kalgi and Shastars are still preserved. He was a warrior King of the Khalsa.

I don't think there is anything wrong with him always being portrayed as a warrior. He was the ultimate Saint warrior. You can be a warrior and still be the essence of Dharm. Not just the 6th Guru, but in the previous yugas the Vaishnav Avtars like Sri Raam and Sri Krishan dressed and lived as warriors. Sri Krishan even recited the master piece of the Sri Bhagawat Gita, yet still be the greatest warrior of his time.

Guru Gobind Singh Jee was a warrior as evident from his Banis, yet he was still the essence of Dharm. Being a warrior does not take away the Saintly aspect of Guru Jee. As for Guru Jee dressed as a Sadhu, that could be a depiction of Guru Jee when he was Dusht Daman.