A Path to God

cybersingh

Under the nine great gurus (teachers) who followed Nanak, the Sikhs developed into a monotheistic, militant sect, the symbol of whose God is steel.

Each Sikh wears a steel bracelet on his right wrist and carries a sword, lets his hair and beard grow, carries a small comb under his turban and wears short trousers. Sikhs are not supposed to smoke, drink alcohol, must not eat meat prepared in the Semitic fashion, may have no sexual intercourse with Moslems.

Why has the path of Nanak become a Militant sect? What is this with not having sexual intercourse with Muslims? What!!!!!!!!!!

Just curious, but why do some say it's a krahat it it's done with a Muslim woman? while Bahadur claims that in olden times Sikhs would especially train since childhood in raping Muslim women. I'm confused. Which one of these is true, or are both of them false???

Pheena: According to some historians and scholars of sikhism, the original kurehit was only adultery with a muslim female. Amritpal singh has written on this subject on the forum,

In my opinion, historical references are one thing, but to use 'one' of these references as if it is a tenant of the Gurus is another. Such references have no place in the forefront of the message which the Gurus relayed. These references are at best left in the backwaters for historians to debate upon not to be used in a mass media outlet.

I will definitely look it up, thanks for the heads up.

18thC Rehitnamai state that relations with a Muslim woman is kurehit.

There are many commonsensical reasons for this (most probably evolutionery) some of them being:

Keep Khalsa away from adultry - specifically with prostitutes who were commonly muslim;

Keep Khalsa away from possible danger through tempation and entrapment by Muslim women (working for Mughals);

Keep Khalsa away from loosing/sacrificing their dharm for the love of a Muslim woman.

For obvious religious reasons, Muslim women do not generally marry non-Muslims, but Hindus would give their daughters to Sikhs.

The rubbish that Bahadur is spreading is simply based on a comment he heard from British boy who 'apparently' heard it from a Nihang in India!

Wow, what rock solid evidence! Funny how Bahadur never heard it for himself first hand from the time he must have spent with Nihangs in india.

Why is it that I find these Rehitnamas to be at a whole another plane than the Teachings of the Gurus themselves?

Was the word Muslim really necessary in the wordings of the rehitnama? Why not focus on the Adulterer aspect of one actions and not whether that man or woman was a Muslim or not. I find this in complete contradiction to the message of our Gurus.

Using the label of a Muslim in the Rehitnama not only is it insulting but it begs the question, so was it ok if the woman was Hindu or another religious background. Once you make a distinction of individuals based on Religion and not on ones character, you open the path to blind hate as is seen with the hate and phobia that exists today in the Sikh youth for both Hindus and Muslims.

Pheena Ji, in my post I used the word evolutionery - meaning that the rehits have been updated over the changing times (not completely attributable to 10th Master) to combat a changing enemy. Largely the word Turk is used rather than Musalmaan. Whether or not they mean the same thing is debatable.

Ideal spiritual progression is one thing - but surviving and fighting an evil enemy is another. There may have been generalisation used - but this is to ensure that there was zero exosure to unneccesary risk. Don't forget generalisation has been used in Gurbani to - we see numerous quotes on Hindus and Muslims - but this does not mean that they relate to every single last one.