Satogunic Lifestyle and Weight Liifting?

jsingh96

to be honest right now i have a really rajogunic type diet and lifestyle, but i was wondering if i do switch to a very vegetarian satogunic type diet would this mix with weight lifting?

im not about the phsyical benefit, i'm wondering if weight lifting, which releases a lot of testostorne, will go against the idea of living a satogunic type lifestyle?

does anyone else work out atleast 1 hour a day with heavy weights, and still manages to get up at amritvela? i always found this very difficult, it was either one or the other, as if i was working out i need a large amount of sleep (atleast 8 hours). i know i could do other forms of exercises to keep fit, but currently i want to gain a bit more weight, right now i think im under my ideal weight

not at all. I used to meditate a lot without much problem and also do very hardcore weightlifting and hardcore yoga exercises (lookup 'combat conditioning' on youtube). exercise I feel actually helps deal with pent up energy. Some people, such as myself, actually have a body type where exercise is a must to actually feel normal.

i can't really answer your amritvela question, back then I used to have major sleepign issues so did not wake up at amritvela. Maybe working out earlier in the day will help more for amritvela??

also, i was reading this guys blog and he said eating a raw food diet gave him insane amounts of energy. he documented a transition to eating solely raw food in day by day diary. so perhaps adding some more raw veggies and fruits into traditional diet might help?? (stevepavlina.com - you may need to check posts that are a bit older for the diary).

"Traditional wrestlers (pehlvan) lead a very satoguni lifestyle"

Are you having a laugh? I used to know many wrestlers/kabbadi players, the concept of Satogun certainly didn't reflect their lifestlye and thinking!

Maybe real traditional wrestlers like those in Kaashi may adopt some from of saintliness, but certainly not Punjabi wrestlers!

what are your priorities? Do you want great big muscles? Or do you want to develop spiritual muscles? Because you cannot do both, you cannot sit on the fence. All or nothing. You cannot be in a halfway house then you'll be neither this nor that. make your training a sadhana or make your sadhana your training.

I excercise an hour 5 days a week but not with heavy weights, just body weight excercises to keep the body healthy and in good condition, you cannot have a healthy mind without a healthy body. If you want big muscles and want to get big this is not going to help you on the guru's path this is work for maya.

i'm not talking about big muscles for the sake of big muscles, but rather i'm talking about getting much stronger. my routine is mostly based on strength and not necessarly hypotrophy. i've been struggling to get into a good routine, i spent most of a summer in india last year and lost around 20lbs, cause of sickness and not eating as much as i should have.

Some people, such as myself, actually have a body type where exercise is a must to actually feel normal.

i am the same way, even when im not in a workout routine i have to be on the bike or running around or i feel really weighted down mentally and phsyically. gotta do something, either ping pong (haha for real this can get preety demanding depending what level you are at), tennis, or other sports

Heavy weights are fine if one is going to go into a sport that requires strength or learn a style of fighting that requires strength i.e. pehlvaan or using shaster that require strength i.e. Khanda or Tegha (which can't be swung around in circles contrary to modern belief).

Other than that, as Mekhane'ch Jannat said, it is best to use resistance training to build up your optimum speed and strength naturally. This is the prefered choice for all serious marital artists.

Best way to get into a routine if you are not mentally strong is to pre-pay for classes or sessions for whatever it is you want to learn/train in. Unless you are rich, this should create commitment - especially as we are now in a credit crunch and all that...

true we do very training specific when i go to class (i am taking commando krav maga), but i really need to gain some weight. i am just now getting back to my normal weight after a summer spent in india travelling which caused me to lose almost 2 stone if you could believe that.

however, the weight i gained is not really as much muscle as i had before india. i guess im just going to have to divide up my sleep, we will see how this works.

if possible, just sleep earlier and you'll get most of your hours. meditation and naps both help a great deal in reducing sleep needs as well. if all that doesn't work, than you may need to take a look at your recovery habits before cutting back somewhere - adequate nutrition, and active recovery techniques can drastically impact recovery time and therefore sleep needs.

jsingh96: trust me, you CAN weight train and do your Nitnem, meditation etc. Every successful fighter lifts weights (talking about real mixed-martial arts, not the arty stuff).

What does your routine look like? I gained about 20kg (44lbs) last summer by following a 20rep squat routine and sorting out nutrition. PM me for more details.

There is a Sikh inspired fitness forum here: http://sikhinspiredfitness.forums-free.com/

where you can share your thoughts and learn from people who train hard, lift heavy and do their Nitnem.

Are you having a laugh? I used to know many wrestlers/kabbadi players, the concept of Satogun certainly didn't reflect their lifestlye and thinking!

Shaheediyan, I was talking of a bygone age.....but still, even in Punjab (India & Pakistan), you can find traditional akharas where the Pehlwans are celibate and vegetarian.

Here is the routine im starting tomorrow or monday. reps are 4-8 usually, but around 6-8 sets for each exercise. im going to be eating every 3-4hours, defiantly a very heavy protein diet with a good amount of good fats as well.

day 7 is going to be either a rest day or a light cardio day. i am getting cardio when i go for training (we do many bodyweight/cardio exercises at krav maga and eskrima)

Week 1 (4-8reps) (6-8 sets for each exercise)

Day 1 - Chest

- Flat Barbell

- Incline Barbell

- Flies dumbbell or machine

Day 2 – Back

- Deadlifts

- Machine rows

- T-bar rows

Day 3 – Shoulder

- Dumbell Presses

- Barbell Presses

- Raises