Sikh Channel on Satelite

Having recently joined the 21st Centuary and subscribed to Sky I have noticed that there is not a single dedicated channel to Sikhi on system. There are several others that have a bit of path/kirtan in the morning or evening but that is it. The highlight being Sant S. Maskins katha. There are, however, several local radio stations broadcasting from gurdwaras.

If you look at the other major religions they all have several channels about their respective belifs.

One channel that I do like watching is Aastha TV. A beautiful set of programs in various languages. What I have noticed is that whereas other channels/religions ALWAYS preach how there faith is better than the rest and others are wrong, Aastha teaches snatanist philosophy/theology/bhakti/yog etc . ie real katha how it should be.

Coming back to my main point: is there a reason why there are no proper Sikhi channels with lessons from varying sants/ scholars etc?? Also with real kirtan by proper ragis not someone who has done a 6 week correspondence course on the tabla-baja (that seems to be the case with most kirtanias that I hear at Harimandir Sahib).

I dont believe lack of money is an issue; could it be lack of leadership or simply a case of "can't be arsed, guv'nor"??

Fateh

Go for it Singh. It costs a lot but I have this icha as well - as soon as I can afford it there'll be a Sikh channel.

If you're interested, find out how much it costs and what equipment we need.

Amrit Bani (ch 0176 on Sky) has a similar problem, but they've kept going with Guru Ji's kirpa and are, IMHO, the best of the desi radio stations.

BTW, i've heard that Raagis are tested before they can do Kirtan in Harmandir Sahib, they definitely haven't just done a '6 week correspondence course'. It's the highest honour to do Kirtan at Darbar Sahib, and the people who get to do it are dhan-dhan.

My one problem with Aastha is the narkdhari baba they show. However, it not the channel's fault.

Go for it Singh. It costs a lot but I have this icha as well - as soon as I can afford it there'll be a Sikh channel.

If you're interested, find out how much it costs and what equipment we need.

Amrit Bani (ch 0176 on Sky) has a similar problem, but they've kept going with Guru Ji's kirpa and are, IMHO, the best of the desi radio stations.

BTW, i've heard that Raagis are tested before they can do Kirtan in Harmandir Sahib, they definitely haven't just done a '6 week correspondence course'. It's the highest honour to do Kirtan at Darbar Sahib, and the people who get to do it are dhan-dhan.

My one problem with Aastha is the narkdhari baba they show. However, it not the channel's fault.

I've even seen Gurmeet Ram Rahim getting TV time to do his Dharmic Prachar right after last year's violence. I think it was Aasthaa.