Pronoucing Gurbani

Why do some Paathis read holy Gurbani by placing a bindi. They pronouce Sabad as Shabad, Darsan as Darshan, Isnaan as Ishnaan.

Guru Sahib didn't record any letter "sh" in Gurbani. In Hindi there is a letter "sh".

I also heard the Bindi was added much later. The langauge of Guru Granth Sahib is unique and seperate. But some insist on making it in to something else.

Damdami Taksal do pronouce ALL letters, vowels including sihari and bihari etc believe it or not.

e.g Maahu they pronouce the U very slighty. Whilst most others just read it like Maah straight forward.

Eihu most will say just say Eih again the U needs to be pronouced slighty. Naey in Japji this whole word should be pronouced strongly.

Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh Ji wrote his own view of pronoucing Gurbani. This is followed by the AKJ. But Jatha here is irrelevant the Taksal is a SCHOOL for pronoucing Gurbani. Sant Gurbachan Singh Ji Khalsa made countless shudh akhand paathis. Not only Damdami Taksal agrees with this but many other Taksals from Damdama tradition.

I have found that you will find students of Sikh Missionary College are the ones who are very liberal and lacsidasical with the usage of bindis as well as with the whole of saanthia. They usually tend to place pauses at very different places to the rest of the schools of santhia reading too.

Most people think that 'aunkr' and 'sihari' are silent but as stated they are subtly prononced. For the aunkr think of saying 'Er' (as in um, er, oh etc)with an English accent.

For sihari - say a short , sharp ei (almost like Hey but without the H).

Thats the best I can explain by writing, in essence you do need a good teacher to sit with you.

I think that the reason they pronounce Sasa with both SH and SS is because many letters in Gurmukhi have dual sounds. The Bindi is a recent innovation added spacifically for the Punjabi langauge around a 100 years ago to make it easier for the reader to differenciate between the two sounds. Before this, even Punjabi literature did not include the bindis yet people knew where to pronounce the SH sound and where not to.