Sikh Art Work

Nanakidarkangel

I’m very open minded when it comes to Sikh artwork, not trying to disrespect anyone else’s views. Some people have problems accepting our Gurus drawn in cartoon form but if you go back in history and look at some of the artwork of gurus in that period, some of it is very cartoony.

I came across this website, where the artist’s Bhagat Singh, drawings are really graphic.

http://prince911.deviantart.com/

http://sikhiart.blogspot.com/

The one of Mai Bhago Kaur really cool – maybe we can have a Khalsa comic book to education our children. My daughter would love that, in this day and age with batman and wonder woman, that’s what our children find cool – that fantasy figure they want to be. It’s wonderful enough telling our children about our history, but words only go so far – as to looking at pictures with every one obsessed over the TV, internet, blackberry etc. I think art is a really good way to educate.

OK – back to the pictures there’s bat singh and a action hero type called KES

Check it out!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nanaki

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it!

The one of Mai Bhago Kaur really cool – maybe we can have a Khalsa comic book to education our children. My daughter would love that, in this day and age with batman and wonder woman, that’s what our children find cool – that fantasy figure they want to be. It’s wonderful enough telling our children about our history, but words only go so far – as to looking at pictures with every one obsessed over the TV, internet, blackberry etc. I think art is a really good way to educate.

You've hit bullseye Nanaki ji! We need Sikh superheroes like Batman and superman, only then our youth will see themselves and won't feel bad for wearing a patka or dastaar. They will have something that they can relate to.

BTW Our history has already been sugared up and it told like a fairy tale. So why not keep history real and create fantasy characters instead?

I made a topic about that on: http://www.sikhism.us/sikh-youth/22784-no-...y-not-what.html

History can be taught using a "Sikh Batman"! Let me reproduce something from that topic:

"In my honest opinion, I think our youth will benefit from having these Sikh Superheroes, as these heroes will constantly remind our youth of Sikh heritage.

It is possible for one to teach history through fiction, when pulled off correctly.

For example, I have been working on this character called "Sarbloh". His powers are similar to those of Colossus from X-MEN.

But by placing him in the time period of Anti-Sikh riots, I will be able to teach the reader about them (or least give the Sikh side of story). By putting him in the period of the terrorist attacks on the twin towers (where he helps rush people out of the building but then fails to make it out in time and gets crushed under the weight of the tower), I am ablw to show Sikhs in positive light. This at the same time reminds us of that event(s) which left a deep scar on our history. Since, the character was born just before 1984, I cannot show World War 1 and 2, using him but I have another character who has been through the 2 World Wars, and using flashbacks I can teach the reader about Sikhs in World Wars. It's like hitting two targets with one arrow."

Fateh!

Bhagat Singh

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it!

You've hit bullseye Nanaki ji! We need Sikh superheroes like Batman and superman, only then our youth will see themselves and won't feel bad for wearing a patka or dastaar. They will have something that they can relate to.

BTW Our history has already been sugared up and it told like a fairy tale. So why not keep history real and create fantasy characters instead?

I made a topic about that on: http://www.sikhism.us/sikh-youth/22784-no-...y-not-what.html

History can be taught using a "Sikh Batman"! Let me reproduce something from that topic:

"In my honest opinion, I think our youth will benefit from having these Sikh Superheroes, as these heroes will constantly remind our youth of Sikh heritage.

It is possible for one to teach history through fiction, when pulled off correctly.

For example, I have been working on this character called "Sarbloh". His powers are similar to those of Colossus from X-MEN.

But by placing him in the time period of Anti-Sikh riots, I will be able to teach the reader about them (or least give the Sikh side of story). By putting him in the period of the terrorist attacks on the twin towers (where he helps rush people out of the building but then fails to make it out in time and gets crushed under the weight of the tower), I am ablw to show Sikhs in positive light. This at the same time reminds us of that event(s) which left a deep scar on our history. Since, the character was born just before 1984, I cannot show World War 1 and 2, using him but I have another character who has been through the 2 World Wars, and using flashbacks I can teach the reader about Sikhs in World Wars. It's like hitting two targets with one arrow."

Fateh!

Bhagat Singh

Keep up the great work Bhagat Singh Veer.

I am pretty sure that no one can beat the heroes that Sikhi has produced who sacrificed themselves for selfless and righteous causes.

Little kids cannot digest the heavy knowledge of Sikhi right away. Cartoon can be a great way of teaching them about our history. There is no way kids can stop watching TV at an early stage , if they are exposed to positive images this will have a greater effect on their life later on.

I can bet if a well executed movie was created about the wars and events in Sikh history , it can surely beat the likes of fairy tales such as Lord of the rings.

Keep up the great work Bhagat Singh Veer.

I am pretty sure that no one can beat the heroes that Sikhi has produced who sacrificed themselves for selfless and righteous causes.

Little kids cannot digest the heavy knowledge of Sikhi right away. Cartoon can be a great way of teaching them about our history. There is no way kids can stop watching TV at an early stage , if they are exposed to positive images this will have a greater effect on their life later on.

I can bet if a well executed movie was created about the wars and events in Sikh history , it can surely beat the likes of fairy tales such as Lord of the rings.

Precisely!

I am sure they could beat 300!

Try 30.

Maha-Yodhvir Akali Baba Gurbakhs Singh Ji Shaheed.

300 doesn't even come close.

Nice art work, but I don't believe we need fantasy cartoon role models. We have more legendary heroes than you will ever be able to count.

Our main problem is a knowledge and language gap. Until recently, Sikh have been inspired by Dhadhis, Kathakar, Kavi's etc for hundreds of years, retelling the death defying and impossible/insane exploits of Panth warriors of near mythological status like Bhai Sukha Singh Ji (see Suraj Prakash).

This is the gap that 1st needs to be closed.

Yes, I drew the Akali Snake Charmer bibi.

Try 30.

Maha-Yodhvir Akali Baba Gurbakhs Singh Ji Shaheed.

300 doesn't even come close.

Nice art work, but I don't believe we need fantasy cartoon role models. We have more legendary heroes than you will ever be able to count.

Our main problem is a knowledge and language gap. Until recently, Sikh have been inspired by Dhadhis, Kathakar, Kavi's etc for hundreds of years, retelling the death defying and impossible/insane exploits of Panth warriors of near mythological status like Bhai Sukha Singh Ji (see Suraj Prakash).

This is the gap that 1st needs to be closed.

The thing about history is that its about "normal" people. I agree with what you say, but there is such a thing called "eye-candy". People want to step away from reality and life's problems when they entertain themselves. They want to see stuff blow up, time being frozen and bullets ricocheting off of someone's chest! You will not find this "eye-candy" in history.

Now that being said, you also want to appeal to other audiences. That won't be possible with doing comics based on Sikh history.

I am not against doing comics based on history, I just think that right now they won't be as effective as doing one on "Bat Singh".

Its like what Nanaki ji said:

The one of Mai Bhago Kaur really cool – maybe we can have a Khalsa comic book to education our children. My daughter would love that, in this day and age with batman and wonder woman, that’s what our children find cool – that fantasy figure they want to be.

Fateh!

Bhagat Singh

You completely missed the point. You are not addressing the problem in your solution, just creating another one.

"The thing about history is that its about "normal" people. I agree with what you say, but there is such a thing called "eye-candy". People want to step away from reality and life's problems when they entertain themselves. They want to see stuff blow up, time being frozen and bullets ricocheting off of someone's chest! You will not find this "eye-candy" in history."

Like I said,you should study the original ithihaas of Bhai SukhaSingh Ji and Baba Gurbakhs Singh Ji, you will be surprised how much eye candy and impossible feats were performed.

These legendary warriors were far from 'normal people'. They are a breed of man that no longer exists.

A good example is the Vismaad films of Sahibzade, Banda Bahadur and Sundri. All the kidsI know who have watched them absolutley love them. Buteven these are mega low budget, historically inaccurate and very dilluted.

If we delivered the original forms (par Sundri which is a novel), of these Gursikh and many others in historically correct fashion and with a decent budget, nothing would compare.

A good example is the excellent Hanuman and Ganesha cartoons, which I watched on the plane - and were amazing!!!

Where can i find this video of Ganesha and Hanuman?

A slideshow movie was made on Chote Sahibzade a few years ago.. Its not the cartoon as its made for an older audience with historical references and texts.. Its absolutely amazing and seeing it was one of the reason i started reading up on sikhism..its about 45 minutes and was produced by two Singhs from Uk and Candada

Like I said,you should study the original ithihaas of Bhai SukhaSingh Ji and Baba Gurbakhs Singh Ji, you will be surprised how much eye candy and impossible feats were performed.

I doubt the eye- candy bit but agree to read their itihaas. are you talking about Sukha Singh and Mehtab Singh? because I have a graphic novel planned for that ( I am not against the making of comics on history but i think right now fantasy and sci fi might be a better answer).

Baba Gurbaksh Singh? Is that Banda Singh Bahadur or another Gurubaksh Singh?

just a few suggestions

try to keep things historically accurate as possible

like that excellent drawing with the nishan sahib, theres a khanda on it, when in fact the original nishan sahibs had degh tegh fateh on them (a kirpan, black spot signifying degh and a katar)

Yes I will keep that in mind.

I try to make sure that everything I paint is as accurate is possible. But what you can also do is that if you see a mistake just message/email me with a source that shows me how it is supposed to look.

If I don't fix it on that particular painting, then I will definitely keep in mind for the next one.

Oh that one by Kanwar Singh? Someone pointed it out to him but he didn't fix it. I can understand why though. He paints on one layer, so fixing is gona be pain (these paintings are least 6000 by 6000). Also, as an artist once you finish a piece, you just want to be done with it!

Singh I mean source as in historical sense.

The Nihangs and Akalis were real people with real history. Whats the purpose of mixing make believe stuff with actual history? Make belief characters can definetely be successful at conveying messages as Bhai Vir Singhs novel have shown. But adopting make beleif characters, traditions and practices seems like a pretty dangerous path to tred. I dont think the Nihangs would be too happy with make belief traditions either.

Dont get me wrong, I really like some of your artwork. The picture of Baba Ajit Singh was superb, how come you took it down?

"So you would rather see animations and comics made on Hindu mythology than Sikh superheroes?

I see how it is."

No you don't seem to be seeing much at all brother. Earlier we were speaking about the reason our youth don't have 'heroes' - as I pointed out the reasons were knowledge and language gap, as your lack of knowledge regarding the Sikh I mentioned shows (with all due respect).

I used the Sri Ganesha cartoons to give you an example of religious inspiration for youth, be it the youth of a different dharm. They have tried to stay true to their characters and it works.

I have given examples in Sikh circles also which are hugely succesful - Vismaad productions, although I personally feel they have a long, long way to go (after having had meetings with the producers my self and acknowledging they are more interested in popularity rather than correct historical representation).

Lastly I agree with malwa da sher, mixing sacred Sikh traditions and terms like Akali with fantasy nonsense like snake charming, magic and model behaviour, is not going to win you any friends or create Sikh inspiration, rather it will create a new cultish fetish for these hybrid fantasy reality characters....

Saying all that, you definately have a great talent, and like some of your other work, I pray you focus your attention on creating great historical pieces - something which our Panth would greatly bless you for.

All the best.