Motives For Simran?

When I examine my motives for doing simran, it seems that the answers I come up with are very self-centred. I want gyan, wisdom. I aspire to enlightenment, brahmgyan, or want to pass exams, why, because I want it! When I examine why I want it, well I'm not 100% sure, but I am beginning to feel my motives may be selfish and ego-driven. I strive to be ego-free and unselfish and believe simran meditating is the way to accomplish this, but if meditating has its roots in ego and selfishness can is this possible? Has anyone else encountered this and how does one overcome this?

Is the ambition to be desire free a desire in itself? And if so is it not self defeating?

Doing Simran for material gain is better than not doing it all. As you keep doing it, the truth will emerge and your motives change.

Reading Gurbani helps immensely with this issue.

Main thing is you do simran, after that its to do simran selflessly. The mind works a mllion tricks to prevent yo from doing simran. I Remember hearing kath of a bhagat who started doing simran because his mum would give him a sweat if he meditated for a while. Slowly the bliss from simran was important than the sweat his mum left. Same with when you do simran, the more you d the more you gradually become distanced from desire.

Doing Simran for material gain is better than not doing it all. As you keep doing it, the truth will emerge and your motives change.

Reading Gurbani helps immensely with this issue.

Yes i totally agree with this, one day surti that does simran for material gain and will feel quench of thrist bairaag towards Vahiguroo.

My tupence.

Bhakti without prem is futile.

The key is to develop prem - in my opinion this is area that our generation does not nurture.

The Sikh Marg is defined through prem.

Through prem, one looses focus on the illusionery 'I' and his trajectory is realligned to 'You'.

When prem bhakti reaches fruition - both the 'I' and 'You' cease, there is only Vaheguru.

That my belief and meagre explanation.

When I examine my motives for doing simran, it seems that the answers I come up with are very self-centred. I want gyan, wisdom. I aspire to enlightenment, brahmgyan, or want to pass exams, why, because I want it! When I examine why I want it, well I'm not 100% sure, but I am beginning to feel my motives may be selfish and ego-driven. I strive to be ego-free and unselfish and believe simran meditating is the way to accomplish this, but if meditating has its roots in ego and selfishness can is this possible? Has anyone else encountered this and how does one overcome this?

Is the ambition to be desire free a desire in itself? And if so is it not self defeating?

I just read your post carefully. Obsession towards getting gyan, bhramgyan is not always consider self centered. Every jiv has seed of bhagti in them, some of them ready to flourish some of them are not, it appears seed of bhagti in you is awakening. I would say one being selfish if they have thirst towards ridiya sidihiya but bhramgyan is every jiv's right, thats how one can rise from karam- good and bad karma and empty their foorna's in conscious and subconscious which is result of rebirth in this world.

In Sikhi having gyan of atma, antish karan, karam philosophy, panj koshas, panj gyan-indraie, karam-indraie difinately helps towards main aim. But its not essential, prema bhagti is main thing because un-educated person who doesn't know how to read gurmukhi let alone vichar on deep subjects in gurbani if that person does prema bhagti, all that above comes in anubhavi gyan at the moment of kirpa. So don't get too much into technicalities and don't be harsh towards yourself.

Thanks for the replies

The key is to develop prem - in my opinion this is area that our generation does not nurture

Yeah i agree with you here but the thing is how do you do bhagti out of love, alot of our generation and friends i've talked to ( who aint that much into sikhi) feel they do not have a connection with God.

In this case should you do simran anyway sort of force yourself to do it?

Doing Simran for whatever reason is better than not doing it at all. Didn't Bhagat Dhru Jee originally start doing Simran in order to gain his rightful kingdom? but in the process he not only gained his kingdom but also became a Brahmgiani.