How I Got Muscular And Big!

Diet

Consisted of Morning:

- Bran, Shreaded Wheat Big Bowl.

- Egg White and Tomatoe Omlette (when I was cutting up), whole egg when I wasn't.

Mid Morning:

2 Banana's

1 Apple

Lunch

Usually Egg white omlette/boiled etc. Whole egg for bulk.

Fish/Chicken Occaisonally

2 Oranges

Mid Day

Apple and Pear

Evening

Chicken/Fish

Once a month Red Meat

Plenty of Milk, whenver I felt like it (skimmed). Have whole Milk if bulking.

If you are a pure Vege use supplements as you won't be able to bulk as well as Ovo-Lactose and Meaties.<<<don't argue about this because I have tried every conceivable diet.

Exercise

Monday - Back, shoulders and triceps

Tuesday - Long slow jog or cross trainer, or swim

Wednesday - Legs, calfs and if arms Ok blast arms

Thursday - long slow jog/cross trainer or swim

Friday - Chest , Biceps

Every single day - leg raises and sit ups

Weekend - rest, maybe a few leg raises.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offence, but that is a pretty rubbish diet and the workout has a lot of room for improvement - and that's without seeing your rep/set ranges etc. Your comment about veges is untrue, you must have been eating the wrong stuff.

Learn more at: http://sikhinspiredfitness.forums-free.com/

some good non-sikh bases sites as well: elite fts, t-nation (if you ignore the gandh), defranco's site.

OP:

Unless you were very small to begin with, there's no way that diet is going to enable you to bulk (unless you are getting most of your protein from milk, in which case you are also getting a whole lot of fat along with it).

If you eat two whole eggs a day and two chicken breasts a day, that makes approximately 72 grams of protein from whole food sources. You need between 1.5-2.0g of protein per pound of your desired body weight to grow. That means, if you weigh 200lbs now, you need at least 300g of protein just to maintain your current weight. You're also not eating frequently enough. Try eating around 6 smallish meals a day, and add pre- and post-workout protein/carb shakes.

It's a little harder to balance protein/fat ratios on a vegetarian diet, but it's quite possible to get enough protein without consuming meat, fish or eggs. For example, 1/2 cup of cottage cheese is around 15g of protein, 1/2 cup of tofu is 20g, 1/2 cup of almonds is 16g, lentils/dal contains anything between 7-10g per 1/2 cup (precooked lentils).

Mithar:

Look up 5x5 routines to build mass and strength, and concentrate on the big 3: squat, deadlift, and bench. You can spend a day on each, and throw in some supplementary exercises when and if you want to.

Regards,

K.

Seriously, other than the ability to lift cars, to improve one's health (although some can take it too far) and to look intimidating/strong, why do people want to 'bulk up'?

I aint saying it' s wrong but one has to work out why they are doing it.

I've seen enough guys focus on it for the wrong reasons and they end up destroying themselves going after some mythical body image.

I'm not saying anyone here is doing that! :)

Look up 5x5 routines to build mass and strength, and concentrate on the big 3: squat, deadlift, and bench. You can spend a day on each, and throw in some supplementary exercises when and if you want to.

Good advice. A good 5x5 program can be found if you search google for 'bill starr 5x5'.

Ishvar - for me, the focus is strength, the size is a by-product. I don't agree with body-building, that's a completely different game.

No offence, but that is a pretty rubbish diet and the workout has a lot of room for improvement - and that's without seeing your rep/set ranges etc. Your comment about veges is untrue, you must have been eating the wrong stuff.

Learn more at: http://sikhinspiredfitness.forums-free.com/

some good non-sikh bases sites as well: elite fts, t-nation (if you ignore the gandh), defranco's site.

Thta's you opinion, and you don't have to listen to me. That's how I got strong and muscular after experiment with lots of "rubbish" diets, powders etc etc.

My comments on vege's is 100% correct. I stand by it.

I'm in my 40's and still easily bech 100 kilo's, squat 100 kilo's, and deadlift that amount. The diet has stood me well.

....and no offence for the guy on the site, he has done well for a vege but if he is struggling to get up to 4 plates (I am assuming Olypian bar and 25 kilo plates), then that is poor in terms of squatting records.

OP:

Unless you were very small to begin with, there's no way that diet is going to enable you to bulk (unless you are getting most of your protein from milk, in which case you are also getting a whole lot of fat along with it).

If you eat two whole eggs a day and two chicken breasts a day, that makes approximately 72 grams of protein from whole food sources. You need between 1.5-2.0g of protein per pound of your desired body weight to grow. That means, if you weigh 200lbs now, you need at least 300g of protein just to maintain your current weight. You're also not eating frequently enough. Try eating around 6 smallish meals a day, and add pre- and post-workout protein/carb shakes.

It's a little harder to balance protein/fat ratios on a vegetarian diet, but it's quite possible to get enough protein without consuming meat, fish or eggs. For example, 1/2 cup of cottage cheese is around 15g of protein, 1/2 cup of tofu is 20g, 1/2 cup of almonds is 16g, lentils/dal contains anything between 7-10g per 1/2 cup (precooked lentils).

Some very good points, but this is what seemed to work for me.

Don't worry too much about fats from milk if you are skinny, and also not there is only soo much protein your body can assimilate. The amount of eggs you have can go up and down according to your body.

Tofu hmmm been reading about Oestregen and that of late, so I would avoid any soya crap. Maybe Milk Whey protein if you are a vege.

Protein is not the name of the came, it's the TYPE that is important and assimilation.

Seriously, other than the ability to lift cars, to improve one's health (although some can take it too far) and to look intimidating/strong, why do people want to 'bulk up'?

I aint saying it' s wrong but one has to work out why they are doing it.

I've seen enough guys focus on it for the wrong reasons and they end up destroying themselves going after some mythical body image.

I'm not saying anyone here is doing that! :)

For me being a Sikh I like to think my body is in balance with my mind. My mind power is equal too and equivalent to my strength and power.

I forgot to say I also used to do Judo and play Rugby.

Personally when I see yellow anaemic looking skinny Singh's at the Gurudwara, I think its a great disrespect to the crown bestowed on their heads by the tenth master.

I'm in my 40's and still easily bech 100 kilo's, squat 100 kilo's, and deadlift that amount. The diet has stood me well.

....and no offence for the guy on the site, he has done well for a vege but if he is struggling to get up to 4 plates (I am assuming Olypian bar and 25 kilo plates), then that is poor in terms of squatting records.

You do ok for an old man :D, (and spend alot of time on the net for someone in his 40s) but your squat and deadlift should be higher than your bench. By 4 plates, he means 4 either side = 225kg including the bar. He got there though - now doing over 300kg (660lbs) for reps. That bolws the vege myth out the window.

He does have good, up to date knowledge on the subject, especially nutrition. Whey protein works best for me (and in the latest studies is shown to be better than egg etc), so I didn't miss fish/eggs etc once I became Sikh. But everybody's body is different and will react differently.

Where do you train?

By the way, matheen on that site is not me.

You do ok for an old man :D, but your squat and deadlift should be higher than your bench. By 4 plates, he means 4 either side = 225kg including the bar.

Not when you have problems with your knees. I won't tell you how much I used to deadlift, bench and squat when I was 21 because it will make the vege guy feel bad.

(and spend alot of time on the net for someone in his 40s)

Better to spend time when you are older than when you are younger. Youngster spend far too much time being Internet warriors than real warriors nowadays.

He got there though - now doing over 300kg (660lbs) for reps. That bolws the vege myth out the window.

Like I said you don't want to know, and that really isn't that good if he wants to be a professional powerlifter. Also depends what weight he is. So know, it blows....but doesn't blow anything out of the water.....but hey vege's are welcome to try and prove me wrong.

He does have good, up to date knowledge on the subject, especially nutrition. Whey protein works best for me (and in the latest studies is shown to be better than egg etc),

errr no.

Like you said it depends on what person you are, but egg are a brilliant food.

so I didn't miss fish/eggs etc once I became Sikh. But everybody's body is different and will react differently.

Once I became a Sikh I had no such restrictions on meat and fish but I don't eat much meat or fish anyway. Never have done. Do eat eggs. Very good indeed. I got my own chickens.

Where do you train?

used to trains at Bill Stevens and Wag Bennets in East London. There were legends like Bertil Fox there, you may have heard of.

By the way, matheen on that site is not me.

I don't doubt it.

Like I said you don't want to know, and that really isn't that good if he wants to be a professional powerlifter. Also depends what weight he is.

Powerlifting isn't his main focus, which makes his strength more impressive, considering he's only been training for a short while and is quite lean. Doing 300kg for reps is excellent - the world record for a raw, unequipped (no suit) squat is 457kg, and pro lifters aren't exactly 'clean'. ('suited' records are much higher, as with bench).

used to trains at Bill Stevens and Wag Bennets in East London. There were legends like Bertil Fox there, you may have heard of.

Old school! Where do you train now - still in East London? Too bad what happened to Fox later in his life.

Some very good points, but this is what seemed to work for me.

Don't worry too much about fats from milk if you are skinny, and also not there is only soo much protein your body can assimilate. The amount of eggs you have can go up and down according to your body.

Tofu hmmm been reading about Oestregen and that of late, so I would avoid any soya crap. Maybe Milk Whey protein if you are a vege.

Protein is not the name of the came, it's the TYPE that is important and assimilation.

Fateh!

Yes, diet is pretty individual and at the end of the day one has to find out out what works by trial and error.

Protein is protein, doesn't really matter where it comes from. What is important is timing your consumption to make best use of your body's ability to use it all (e.g., post workout).

Most of the research on tofu increasing estrogen in males is funded by meat companies. It may be true, but it's unlikely given that the Chinese have been eating it for centuries without their men growing breasts and crying after watching Thelma and Louise.

Kudos for having the nads to put your training routine and diet up for all to see.

K.

Edit:

Yeesh, you must be ancient! :P

Powerlifting isn't his main focus, which makes his strength more impressive, considering he's only been training for a short while and is quite lean. Doing 300kg for reps is excellent - the world record for a raw, unequipped (no suit) squat is 457kg, and pro lifters aren't exactly 'clean'. ('suited' records are much higher, as with bench).

Old school! Where do you train now - still in East London? Too bad what happened to Fox later in his life.

Yes very good, follow his routine and good luck. :LOL:

Fateh!

Yes, diet is pretty individual and at the end of the day one has to find out out what works by trial and error.

Protein is protein, doesn't really matter where it comes from. What is important is timing your consumption to make best use of your body's ability to use it all (e.g., post workout).

Most of the research on tofu increasing estrogen in males is funded by meat companies. It may be true, but it's unlikely given that the Chinese have been eating it for centuries without their men growing breasts and crying after watching Thelma and Louise.

Kudos for having the nads to put your training routine and diet up for all to see.

K.

Edit:

Yeesh, you must be ancient! :P

No mate. Do your own research on Soya based stuff. It's not funded by meat companies. It's crap.

Protein is not protein, do some research into assimilation.

I always say, do your own research and expirment on your body, but don't be so blinkered as to think that if you are vege you will have the same gains as an egg eating counterpart.

Yes I'm ancient, but I do still despair as occasionally I don't train at home and venture into the gym to see yellow, skinny looking vege Singh's. Make's me feel sad. :(

Protein is not protein, do some research into assimilation.

"One of the key factors to gaining drug free muscle was the amount of circulating amino acids in the blood at all times. A recent study confirms directly that amino acid availability in the blood does, in fact, govern protein synthesis rates in muscle.

Protein synthesis is the overriding mechanism that determines net gains in muscle mass. To build muscle you have to maximize stimulation of muscle protein synthesis rates while minimizing protein breakdown.

Scot Kimball and Leonard Jefferson from Pennsylvania State University, College of Medicine have recently published a paper that fits together some of the missing pieces of the muscle growth puzzle. A high level of amino acid circulating within the blood triggers uptake by muscle that in turn stimulates an increase in protein synthesis rates. The higher the level of amino acids in the blood, the more dramatic the stimulation of protein synthesis in muscle.

When blood amino acid levels drop, muscle-building rates are shut down. Theoretically, if one can maintain a high level of circulating amino acids in the blood, 24-hours a day, every day, then dramatic gains in lean mass are assured.

Milk whey protein's unique absorption and assimilation capabilities enable large amounts of the growth-stimulating amino acids to be delivered to muscle.

Other foods or proteins don’t have the absorption kinetics to produce the ultra high blood amino acid concentrations that whey produces. You must maintain high levels of the right blend amino acids each day and every day.

Ref: Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care 5:63-67, 2002. "

This is what modern science has to say, rather than one of Joe Weider's mags, lol.

It's all about dudh, badaam and panjvan!

Personally, I don’t think you have to take meat in order to have muscle. I’ve seen meat eaters in the gym who are skinny, while the reverse is also true. It is all to do with the amount of time and effort you put in. In fact, weight lifting itself is also an acquired skill. There are proper techniques on how to lift weight to have the maximum and desired effects.

It is good to see Randip Singh doing weight lifting. Most Punjabis you see are always out of shape whether they be too skinny or over weight. Whenever I see an apnaa with a muscular body it makes me proud. A Sikh should be tough looking, not skinny and over weight in my opinion.

And let’s not just stop at weight lifting, in my opinion a Sikh should also know how to defend himself. So having knowledge of some martial arts whether it be Muay Thai, Boxing, Judo etc I say you should all have knowledge of it. A Sikh should be able to take on multiple opponents in a fight.

Personally, I don’t think you have to take meat in order to have muscle. I’ve seen meat eaters in the gym who are skinny, while the reverse is also true. It is all to do with the amount of time and effort you put in. In fact, weight lifting itself is also an acquired skill. There are proper techniques on how to lift weight to have the maximum and desired effects.

Agreed. It's how you train. I have found small quantites of meat as part of a balanced diet is good.

It is good to see Randip Singh doing weight lifting. Most Punjabis you see are always out of shape whether they be too skinny or over weight. Whenever I see an apnaa with a muscular body it makes me proud. A Sikh should be tough looking, not skinny and over weight in my opinion.

I don't have a problem with even skinny and over weight. I know skinny guys who are super strong and fit, and they look good. I also know fat looking guys who have a solid frame and pack muscle.

My gripe is those ill looking, limp, yellow faced, anaemic guys you see wearing pughs. Some are fat, some are skinny. They have skinny legs and arms.

You see the picture of Guru Gobind Singh standing tall, proud muscular with his crown. Then you see these guys and you think, do they deserve to wear that crown?

And let’s not just stop at weight lifting, in my opinion a Sikh should also know how to defend himself. So having knowledge of some martial arts whether it be Muay Thai, Boxing, Judo etc I say you should all have knowledge of it. A Sikh should be able to take on multiple opponents in a fight.

Indeed. Self defence is a must. My kids will be doing Martial arts from 4 onwards like me.

Fateh!

For those who don't eat red meat, a good supplement to take is arachidonic acid. You can get it in the form of a supplement (e.g., molecular nutrition's x-factor). It may however still have the health risks associated with red meat.

K.

Fateh!

For those who don't eat red meat, a good supplement to take is arachidonic acid.

K.

DO NOT take this is if you have even slight blood pressure or joint pain/ arthritis. It is a pro-inflammatory and can make things worse.

The nutritionist and researcher Mike Roussell says:

: Alpha linolenic acid (commonly found in flax) definitely has its benefits in the diet. In regard to arachidonic acid and Testosterone, I'm not convinced that you need extra arachidonic acid (AA). There's little data in humans regarding AA and Testosterone production.

Several supplement companies are coming out with AA products without really thinking about the consequences (that probably doesn't surprise anyone). In fact, on the labels they recommend that people refrain from consuming omega-3 fats while using the products. Yeah, that sounds like a good idea!

AA is extremely pro-inflammatory but it's a necessary part of the diet. Because omega-6 fatty acids are so ubiquitous in the environment, no one is at the risk of not consuming enough AA,......... Plus there are better, potentially safer ways to increase Testosterone production than supplemental AA.

DO NOT take this is if you have even slight blood pressure or joint pain/ arthritis. It is a pro-inflammatory and can make things worse.

The nutritionist and researcher Mike Roussell says:

Well, yes. If you have high blood pressure or arthritis, you should not really be consuming red meat either.

I naturally assume people will do their own research before they start taking supplements, but perhaps I shouldn't be making such assumptions in this place.

The pro-inflammatory nature of AA is sort of how it works, and in my experience it works pretty well when taken for short periods of time.

K.

Well, yes. If you have high blood pressure or arthritis, you should not really be consuming red meat either.

I naturally assume people will do their own research before they start taking supplements, but perhaps I shouldn't be making such assumptions in this place.

The pro-inflammatory nature of AA is sort of how it works, and in my experience it works pretty well when taken for short periods of time.

K.

I have been told that oily fish is good for arthritis.