Hunting And Bhagti

Kaljug

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Would hunting animals have any kind of detrimental effects on one's bhagti? I'm talking here about hunting vermin (rats, rabbits, chavs) to kill them, not to eat them.

I'd be interested to know if any Mahapurush have mentioned hunting specifically and not as something that is used to obtain animal flesh for food.

Thanks,

K.

If hunting is done with compassion than it won't. But if its done to prove power of man or out of annoyance then yes.

For mere mortals like us term "hunting with compassion" appears to be oxymoron but hunting with compassion would be giving animals liberation or just hope they transcendent into human next life. Only with bhramgyan one is truly over paap and paun.

Would hunting animals have any kind of detrimental effects on one's bhagti? I'm talking here about hunting vermin (rats, rabbits, chavs) to kill them, not to eat them.

Hunting chavs!!! Mate, I don't like them either but hunting them is going a bit too far....

chavs-on-holiday.jpg

Hunting chavs!!! Mate, I don't like them either but hunting them is going a bit too far....

As long as you kill them in one shot (behind the ear like a rat or rabbit), I think it's probably fine. Like other vermin, I'd only hunt them to prevent them destroying crops on someone's farm. Guru willing, they will be born as a higher life form, perhaps even human, in their next janam.

Regards,

K.

[/media

As long as you kill them in one shot (behind the ear like a rat or rabbit), I think it's probably fine. Like other vermin, I'd only hunt them to prevent them destroying crops on someone's farm. Guru willing, they will be born as a higher life form, perhaps even human, in their next janam.

Regards,

K.

I guess that would be acceptable. You have to be careful to keep an eye on the wider effects of this policy though. The knock on effect to staff at Burberry, in terms of sales, may leave some in a penurious state.

Regards

you should talk to a singh who is very serious about abhyaas about this. or ask a mahapurkh. for a person who does tons of simran, even seeing violence on tv can hurt the mann. on this path it's important to avoid any harm to the mann. now people may say what about the sipahee aspect?

that's all taken care of when it's tiem to take care of it. otherwise singhs just need to get in shape and practice.

that's all taken care of when it's tiem to take care of it.

That is quite a big assumption.

you should talk to a singh who is very serious about abhyaas about this. or ask a mahapurkh. for a person who does tons of simran, even seeing violence on tv can hurt the mann. on this path it's important to avoid any harm to the mann.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Yes, I'll ask Giani Thakur Singh about this when he is next here. I don't feel there should be any problem with killing vermin because Sikhs lay down mouse traps, kill spiders, poison roaches, murder headlice, etc etc. Sikhi, IMO, is practical - that is why we don't walk around with our mouths covered all the time like Jains.

now people may say what about the sipahee aspect?

that's all taken care of when it's tiem to take care of it. otherwise singhs just need to get in shape and practice.

This is not true. Our Gurus advised their Sikhs to practice wrestling, shastar vidiya, and shikaar in preparation for war. They did not magically acquire these abilities during jung, and to rely on Divine Providence to teach one these skills is impractical, and in my opinion, is not in line with Sikh thought. In fact, it kind of reminds me of accounts recorded in V. S. Naipul's travel journals of Hindus relying on mantras to win India's brief war with China.

On a more mundane level, getting in a ring without any experience and fighting someone who is trained for that sport will get you mauled. It would be exactly the same in war.

K.

K.