Chritropakhyaan Translations Online

bhooliya

There are many resources available for Chritropakhyaan. I found one on this website, so sharing it here. Please post your opinions regarding this work of Pritpal Singh Bindra.

Chritropakhyaan

http://www.scribd.com/doc/11885644/English-Translation-of-Chritropakhyaan-From-Dasam-Granth-Vol1

Part 2

http://www.scribd.com/doc/13262753/English-Translation-of-Chritropakhyaan-From-Dasam-Granth-Vol2

Edited by bhooliya

We should realize that these documents are available online. Young Sikhs have access to these documents and not all of them have patience to go to vidya Guru. I would request learned members to come forward and provide their constructive criticism. It helps if we have analysis of these documents and expose flaws. It will also serve the purpose of this discussion forum.

Here is his total collection besides Sri Dasam Granth.

http://www.scribd.com/hardeep_bhatia

Edited by bhooliya

I think Bindra's translations are a pioneering effort. The truth is that for many of us, it is the first point of contact in terms of gaining an insight into the contents of Chatrio Pakyaan. I don't agree with Bindra's opinion on DG but I appreciate the effort he has made. My biggest gripe is that he hasn't provided the Gurmukhi text next to the translation which should be standard procedure and is the greatest aid to assessing the translation.

Anyone thinking that simply reading this translation would give one a deep understanding of Chatrio Pakyaan would be wrong. At best, it serves as one starting point for those of us who are more proficient in English than Gurmukhi, Braj. I have been looking at Sikh literature written in English over the years and note how understanding evolves and improves over time mainly as the result of good rebuttals. In that context, I think I am sure better, improved translations and analysis of CP will be coming in future.

In terms of interpretation I think Mr. Bindra may be projecting his own conservatism on the contents. CP is a work which seems to cover the gritty worldly plane and the psychology behind these. The world of lust, deception, power politics and human weakness seems to be some of the central themes? I think these things are important to understand, especially in these times.

Edited by dalsingh101

Bindra's translation is faulty as is his understanding of Dasam granth. I interacted with him on one forum.I asked him did he know Braj, sanskrit and persian as knowledge of these languages is required to translate chritropakhayan. he said no. My question was how did he translate it then. he told me by help of dictionary. i was amused and told him that was the reason his translation is bad.

Well that should lay the ground for a better translation then. It's just a shame that the community are generally so poor and slow at such things. The people who should be at the forefront of such activities, the SGPC are nowhere to be seen.