The Game Of Kings!

shaheediyan

As lovers of Puratan Khalsa Ithihaas know, Nihang Singhs were very fond of the game of Kings and Warriors – Chhatranj. This not only developed a strategic mind, but also patience, tactical thinking, appreciation of worthwhile sacrifice, appreciation of ‘varying strengths/skills’ of fauji, basic appreciation of formations etc...

I play Chess at work with some County players (learning from them), and whilst Chess is a different (evolved animal) from its famous ancestor, it still holds true to learning the above qualities... which can enhance your martial skills in terms of thinking of counter strikes and counter-counters as an example.

1. BBC 4 showed a beginners guide to Chess last night, the programme is available on iplayer for anyone who is interested, in terms of past time, I would wholly recommend Singhs to take up this timeless game, with the view to eventually studying the slow kill Grand Masters such as Garry Kasparov and eventually, learning the father game, Chhatranj (if you can find the pieces like Elephants etc lol).

http://www.chessvariants.com/historic.dir/shatranj.html

This seems to cover the main differences between Chhatranj and Chess, namely the movements of General (Queen) and the Elephant (Bishop).

Those that have in depth knowledge of Chhatranj, please share i.e. openings, tactics, end game variations etc..

http://www.chessvariants.com/historic.dir/shatranj.html

This seems to cover the main differences between Chhatranj and Chess, namely the movements of General (Queen) and the Elephant (Bishop).

Those that have in depth knowledge of Chhatranj, please share i.e. openings, tactics, end game variations etc..

The rani and wazir do not have as much freedom in Chatranj, they can move in the same directions as chess but they are limited to the number of spaces they can move and cannot fly accross the board like you can in chess. This makes the game much more tactical and players cannot be caught out by a lone queen taking out the whole board. Another difference is if the Raja is left by himself with no one surrounding him the game is over rather than in chess where a sole king is allowed to run around one space at a time until he is killed.

Edited by Maha Singh

The rani and wazir do not have as much freedom in Chatranj, they can move in the same directions as chess but they are limited to the number of spaces they can move and cannot fly accross the board like you can in chess. This makes the game much more tactical and players cannot be caught out by a lone queen taking out the whole board. Another difference is if the Raja is left by himself with no one surrounding him the game is over rather than in chess where a sole king is allowed to run around one space at a time until he is killed.

Indeed, the King being unattended always perturbed me in Chess - 'He's the King so why is everyone allowed to run away from him?!'

In good Chess strategy, the King is never left unattended. He is always fronted by pawns and always attended by a rook, knight or bishop (in any of the surrounding squares).

Only if there is a full on assault or if the key pieces are baited is the King left alone. In competitive chess, a situation arising where one player is down by at least 2 main pieces usually causes a voluntary end to the game.

In order to understand chess more tactically, one needs to study openings (here you see how to best protect your king whilst creating opportunties and establishing yourself on the field, in the end game we learn exactly what power each piece has on the table, the King is highly under-rated, you would be amazed by what a King and few selectively placed pawns can accomplish, as well as knowing how to trick an opponent into a stalemate scenario.

Maha Singh, maybe we could meet sometime for a few untimed games of both!

Edited by shaheediyan

Get out of it.

Zulus (or Masai) don't have schools, 6th Forms and certainly don't play chess - why don't you contort a more realistic story, like howyou are able to jump over 7 cattle in a single leap... lol

You guys make great figures for collectors chess sets though:

http://shop.thehungersite.com/store/item.do?itemId=9659&siteId=220

Edited by shaheediyan

Anyone here interested in helping to commission a 'Khalsa' chess set?

I'm serious, if we can get a few takers who are willing to commit to an order, I will get some sets commissioned, we can even agree the make up of the pieces between us i.e. using Akalis (pharla), Bhujangis, Nihangs, Bhangar Singhs, Horses, Takht type (instead of rooks) as an example.

We can get a mould made for plastic/metal peices and hey presto. Stone carvings are best, but may be a little pricey, if there is enough interst though, this could also be an option....

Get out of it.

Zulus (or Masai) don't have schools, 6th Forms and certainly don't play chess - why don't you contort a more realistic story, like howyou are able to jump over 7 cattle in a single leap... lol

You guys make great figures for collectors chess sets though:

http://shop.thehungersite.com/store/item.do?itemId=9659&siteId=220

lol my heritage lies with Africa, we are oppressed by babylon seeeeen.

"good will always overcome evil", words of His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I elect of himself.

I n I living in babylon I shall always praise JAHHHH itinually doing jah works no matter what, no wicked man shall enter the kingdom of zionnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, but once again seeing as im a massi/zulu/pashupathi its hard to stick to one story lol

On a serious note, the Chess set would have to be all Khalsa, to avoid the situation of Khalsa ever loosing, lol.

You can name them as any Misl you like if it helps. I considered Bandai Vs Tat Khalsa, but even that risks re-writing history...!

No serious takers then I see... :(

Oh well, you had your chance.

We could stick RDX in the Khalsa King so if it is ever toppled it will take out the rest of the chess set, thereby destroying any historical record of a defeat. Though this would make moving the set around a little dangerous, it could work...(i'm not being serious).

Seriously though, I dont think sikh -v- sikh would work as people's sentimentalities are so easy to hurt.

On a fairly unrelated and off topic point, has anyone here got the PC game called Empire Total War? Supposedly there is a sikh/punjabi faction in that game from 1700 onwards, but I havent actually heard this from a sikh who had the game so I wasnt sure.

On a serious note, the Chess set would have to be all Khalsa, to avoid the situation of Khalsa ever loosing, lol.

You can name them as any Misl you like if it helps. I considered Bandai Vs Tat Khalsa, but even that risks re-writing history...!

No serious takers then I see... :(

Oh well, you had your chance.

I was losing 2 years back in a tournament against another 6form, the guy was beating me soo bad I HAD to give up and walked off shook his hand and got up, the teacher had a go at me but at least i didnt let him take my king i handed it to him and got a place in his government get it? lol made me laugh dont think it would make the rest of you laugh...my lame humour.

"Seriously though, I dont think sikh -v- sikh would work as people's sentimentalities are so easy to hurt."

Well, maybe they should acquaint themselves with 18th century Sikh Ithihaas, that way their sentimentalities would overload into destruction, or wither away in calm acknowledgement.

Singhs kept their skills sharp fighting each other during the Misl period (under the guise of land grabbing politics etc), but when it came to the crunch, they would unite and wreak Chandi style destruction...

In any case, this wasn't meant to be an idea for mass production, but a low key production affair for any interested parties here, who have some appreciation of war, history and chess. The public can create and use Mughl Vs Mughal sets so that their sleep is protected.