Anyone Have An A Level In Panjabi Here?

dalsingh101

Did mine way back last century in 1996 (-when there were higher standards! LOL)

In my final year I decided to cram a 2year Alevel into 1year thinking it can't be too disimilar to GCSE Panjabi. Was I wrong!

Over one year I had to study 8 texts. That is 'study' as you would for English literature. Disecting the story, themes, character analysis etc etc.

There is a lot less focus on language-side and more on literature.

It was tough, but do-able esp with the help from my mom.

In my final year I decided to cram a 2year Alevel into 1year thinking it can't be too disimilar to GCSE Panjabi. Was I wrong!

Over one year I had to study 8 texts. That is 'study' as you would for English literature. Disecting the story, themes, character analysis etc etc.

I attempted mine whilst a Uni in 1996 same a Jattboot and it was while I was in the final year. I went to the lessons but never took the exam, all I can remember is that it is very much like English A level, the books I read were by Nanak Singh and can't remember the rest. The problem I had was that I can read Punjabi but when I write it, then I did it with a Malwai dialect, turning Daswin to Dasma, soday for Tuhade etc and that's a no no in Punjabi A level.

Edited by tonyhp32

Thanks for the feedback.

What was your vocab like? I picked up an A level guide (I did a GCSE around 20 years ago!), and noticed that there are many words I'm unfamiliar with. I've got dictionaries so this is improving day by day though. My Panjabi is also heavily influenced by the Malwai region, I guess I'd better keep an eye on that.

You know I've never really read a novel in Panjabi.Time to start I guess.

My vocabulary was good because I had been reading papers like Des Pardes and Awaz-e-quam for over a decade. Reading newspapers is a very good way to pick up new vocabulary although I have noticed that at present more and more seem to be using many English words instead of their Punjabi counterparts.

Tony I've picked up a fair few new words in that last few weeks so progression is taking place. I think the difference in the language used by Panjabi village folk and the educated is a great as the difference betweem wasp rural classes and middle class.

My advice for anyone, would be to read just a couple of pages of some panjabi novel/poetry a day and even write it down. (Its the only way i could earn my pocket money from my dad). Preferably, older texts, ie those published at least 30 yrs ago as like mentioned above there are limited english terminology used.

Even with my English pupils i advise them to read out aloud older English works such as Austen, Dickens, Coleridge etc.

Evolution of language aside, It seems in the past the standard of languages was much higher.