Any Ideas Of What This Means Exactly?

dalsingh101

ਸੋਚ ਕਰਨ ਵਾਲਾ ਕੀਹ ਸੋਚ ਕਰੇ ਕਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ ਨੇ ਕਵੀਆਂ ਦੇ ਲਿਖੇ ਮੂਜਬ ਕਿਸਦਾ ਆਵਾਹਨ ਕੀਤਾ, ਕਿਉਂਕਿ ਗੁਰਬਿਲਾਸ ਤੇ ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਤਾਪ ਸੂਰਜ ਆਦਿਕਾਂ ਦੇ ਲੇਖਕ ਸਾਰੇ ਖਿਆਲਾਂ ਦੀ ਖਿਚੜੀ ਜੇਹੀ ਪੇਸ਼ ਕਰਦੇ ਹਨ।

ਮੂਜਬ - cause or according to

ਆਵਾਹਨ - called upon

What a thinking person can think? That according to writers what was called upon/invited by Guru Gobind Singh, because writers of Gurbilas and Suraj Pratap present a mixture of all these thoughts.

Is it Devis we are talking about?

Yes, it's talking about different forms of devi. I think we nailed that line with this:

What is a thinking person supposed to think? Which one of these is Guru Gobind Singh ji supposed to have invoked, according to that written by the poets. Because the authors of Gurbilas and Gur Prataap Suraj etc. present a hotchpotch of the schools of thought [in their works].

Have a look at the new extract in my last post.

Edited by dalsingh101

???

what do you interpret "nazar andaaz karkay" to be?

and "netharkay"?

Plus what is the easiest way to type out Panjabi text? I'm tired to typing into an online dictionary then copy and pasting it! lol

ਅੰਦਾਜ਼ means Grace, fashion, manners, mode, gesture, bearing according to the online dictionary.

and the small word ko (ਕੁ), doesn't it mean "roughly" or "approximately"?

Edited by dalsingh101

???

what do you interpret "nazar andaaz karkay" to be?

An expression meaning to overlook or disregard.

and "netharkay"?

To find out the truth.

and the small word ko (ਕੁ), doesn't it mean "roughly" or "approximately"?

Yep.

Here's a good online dictionary you might find useful:

http://www.advancedcentrepunjabi.org/pedic/default.aspx

K.

Edited by Kaljug

An expression meaning to overlook or disregard.

Serious? How sure are you?

Hey guys, I made a mistake.

The problem was the gurmukhi script. I was thinking بمجب when I should have been thinking بموجب

Sorry for the confusion.

The proper romanisation of this word should be bamoojab, not bemojab or bamojab. Basically I had my mind set on there being a damma above mim, when I should have thought, u after mim. Bamoojab means 'under', so that should make a bit more sense. My fault sorry! :doh:

Serious? How sure are you?

This [__________] sure. (Look for expressions/figurative meanings in the dictionary I linked to above, it should be in there.)

K.

Edited by Kaljug

Kaljug, I found it. Thanks for that mate!

Nazar andaaz karna = to overlook, ignore, disregard...

My my, you are a font of knowledge aren't you....

ਫਿਰ ਉਹ ਦਿਗੰਬਰ ਹੈ - ਦਿਸ਼ਾ ਦੇ ਕੱਪੜਿਆਂ ਵਾਲੀ - ਭਾਵ ਨੰਗੀ

I always thought ਦਿਗੰਬਰ was exactly the same as ਨੰਗੀ???? Is it not?

and what does the ਦਿਸ਼ਾ in the following sentence denote?

ਦਿਸ਼ਾ ਦੇ ਕੱਪੜਿਆਂ ਵਾਲੀ

PS - This tool is wonderful for typing Gurmukhi.

http://g2s.learnpunjabi.org/unipad.aspx#

Edited by dalsingh101

clothed in the four directions, north east south west. There is a hidden meaning in relation to the four directions,

#

Disha is the the same as Dig in digamber. In Sanskrit the word for direction is Dik but due to sandhi the final K undergoes permutations changing it into Sh and g before certain terminations. These changes have filtered down into the regional languages.

clothed in the four directions, north east south west. There is a hidden meaning in relation to the four directions,

#

Disha is the the same as Dig in digamber. In Sanskrit the word for direction is Dik but due to sandhi the final K undergoes permutations changing it into Sh and g before certain terminations. These changes have filtered down into the regional languages.

I thought quarter-clothed would be a sufficient translation for ਦਿਸ਼ਾ ਦੇ ਕੱਪੜਿਆਂ ਵਾਲੀ ?

Pray do tell us of this hidden meaning of the 'four directions'.

And if Dig is really what you say, what does the 'umbarh' bit mean?

The overall point being made in the piece seems to be that clothed she appears constrained, but naked she isn't.

shwet is sankrit for white, are these other words sanskrit as well Laal Singh Ji?

I am ok with Hindi, know nothing about Sanskrit First definition is from Prof Sahib Singh. It is somewhere in Guru Granth Darpan.

ਸਫੇਦ is common word used in everyday punjabi and 'shwet' means white in Hindi.

As Sanskrit is mother language, its origin must in Sanskrit.