Kukri Fighting

shaheediyan

Most definately my favorite shastar.

Although I am tired of trying to find one as nice as Nidar Singhs (with a mughal handle)!

Will have to find a nice blade and handle and get them set myself me thinks!

Just one thing I would like to add, Gurkhai do actually use the kukri in a very dexterous fashion, they are born with things in their hand! They use them for all sorts of work - there is a type of kukri for everything!

I have seen some Bando demonstrations where the kukri drawing method was shown - direct to a number of different strikes etc, it was amazing stuff, somewhat similar to drawing Samurai swords from the sheath in different ways directly into a fatal strike.

Gurkhai are reknowned for their vicious head on combat, as the Sikhs unfortunately even tasted themselves, when they joined forces with British during the anglo Sikh wars and were known for scalping their ex-Sikh comrades! Gurkai have total confidence in being able to tackle enemies with swords 3 times longer than their own! That confidence comes from a warrior psychology and excellent combat vidya.

I recall hearing a story that traditional (hardcore) Gurkai used to leave their new born sons naked in the cold for a few hours, to check if he had the 'heart' to become a warrior!!

The video had some issue which made it cut short, theres only 3 minutes cut off the end. We will record the video again and upload it in the future. Coming up in the next few days will be a series of videos from when Niddar Singh demonstrated Shastarvidiya to a school run by a senior student of Dr Hatsumi, the first video is already up.

The khukri is also definitly one of my fav weapons, nothing beats the satisfaction of using a weapon which has equal qualities of cutting, slashing, thrusting and hacking. :)

Edited by Maha Singh

"The khukri is also definitly one of my fav weapons, nothing beats the satisfaction of using a weapon which has equal qualities of cutting, slashing, thrusting and hacking"

There is another awesome blade in the Moro tradition which also has a 'leaf; design, its called a 'Barong'. It has the exact same qualities/capabilities as the Kukri!

Thats my 2nd favorite blade!

I personally dont like Cold Steel stuff, look for some on ebay or arms fairs. Ive picked up some nice peices over the years for cheap. Else theres a few antique shastar websites about which sometimes have the rarer style kukris like the Hanshee.

www.oriental-arms.com

www.akaalarms.com

www.ashokaarts.com

I wouldnt recommend carrying live weapons unless you have training in them.

Edited by Maha Singh

I personally don't like the BA Kukris, they are heavy and mass produced, quality isn't there in my opinion. Same as the crappy BIA swords that the Sikh regiments had.

Parchand Ji, would you be kind enough to let us all have darshan via an uploaded photo :)

Marrying up blades and hilts is not a problem, as long as the person doing it has an understanding of shastar (balance, weight distribtion etc) & the components are high quality/complimentary.

Cold Steel is ok for messing about with, cutting narial with etc lol, but I wouldn't recommend them in place of real shastar, they are cheap and mass produced.

There is also a budget kukri they do, costs around £30 I think.

• 1 month later...