Preschool Weights And Heights Of Europeans And Five Subgroups Of Asians In Britain.

kdsingh80

http://adc.bmj.com/content/71/3/207.abstract

Abstract

Heights and weights of five subgroups of Asian (545) and European children (685) were recorded after birth, at 1 year, 2 years, and at 5 years. Asian children were divided into Muslim Gujarati, Muslim Pakistani, Muslim Bangladeshi, Hindu, and Sikh. Although the Europeans were significantly the heaviest at birth (3.42 kg boys and 3.26 kg girls) when compared with any of the other groups, it was the Sikhs who had the best weight gain. They were also the heaviest at 5 years when compared with other groups, including the Europeans (20.13 kg and 19.22 kg for Sikh boys and girls respectively compared with 18.83 kg and 18.42 kg for European boys and girls respectively). Hindus had the lightest birth weight. Their weight at 5 years (17.41 kg boys and 16.93 kg girls) and that of the Muslim Gujaratis (17.27 kg boys and 17.20 kg girls) was comparable and was lowest, whereas that of the Bangladeshis at this age was the greatest among the Muslims (18.56 kg for boys and 17.87 kg for girls). Sikh boys and girls were found to be the tallest of all the groups, including the Europeans, at all periods of measurements--including at 5 years when the Sikh boys and girls were 3 cm and 1.5 cm taller than the European boys and girls. Hindus were the shortest of all the groups throughout the period of study.

What a dumbass study?

What about Hazuri and Bihari Sikhs? What about Tamils, Punjabi Hindus, Punjabi Muslims and Sindh Muslims? What about Dutch and Sicilians?

If you are going to carry out a study @ least get the basic comparable data correct.

When will people learn that 'Sikhs' or any religion is not an ethnicity - the most common definition of which is 'common ancestory'.

Europe is so diverse in ethnicity, how can you bang them all into one bucket?

What a dumbass study?

What about Hazuri and Bihari Sikhs? What about Tamils, Punjabi Hindus, Punjabi Muslims and Sindh Muslims? What about Dutch and Sicilians?

If you are going to carry out a study @ least get the basic comparable data correct.

When will people learn that 'Sikhs' or any religion is not an ethnicity - the most common definition of which is 'common ancestory'.

Europe is so diverse in ethnicity, how can you bang them all into one bucket?

Shaheediyan ji

Please come to India and ask any person on road who is a sikh or sardar and majority of them reply Punjabi.As 95% sikhs are Punjabi people do think they are Punjabi's.I also want to ask you are there good population of Bihari/hazuri sikhs in UK?

Anyway the main point this study indicate is that sikhs have good genetics and eating habits in UK.So You should be happy for them

Edited by kdsingh80

Let's be frank here, Sikhs seem to have a disproportionate amount of people with endomorphic body types. Also many Sikh parents think that overfeeding their children is some symbol of deep love and good parenting. Obesity is mistaken for healthfulness for some reason? Maybe this is related to status between poor and rich?

Our diet is also very rich, which contributes to this. I saw this very, very old study done on rats feeding them various diets (in the 40s I think this was), in that 'study' the rats fed the Sikh diet grew the biggest also.

Thing is, with the modern sedentary lifestyle, and some strange predisposition to heart diseases and diabetes our people have, I feel we need to change our diets drastically to survive in the new environment. Start introducing more Mediterranean style food for instance. I know a few of the olders in my family have these heart this and that, diabetes type stuff going on. Some of them are not even drinkers. I'm wondering if apnay vegetarians also suffer in this way? We need to look at our nutrition and adapt to the non physical and cold ass environment we've found ourselves in.

I'm sure lack of vitamin D from little sun plays some part in all this too?

Let's be frank here, Sikhs seem to have a disproportionate amount of people with endomorphic body types. Also many Sikh parents think that overfeeding their children is some symbol of deep love and good parenting. Obesity is mistaken for healthfulness for some reason? Maybe this is related to status between poor and rich?

Well Despite being overfeeding sikh kids are still thinner than European kids despite being taller.

The old school/traditional Sikh diet was excellent. Having spoken to many elders on this subject in the past - Sikhs ate very simply, in adh (small portions) and the diet was seasonal and consistant, not a mish mash of different things everyday i.e. they would eat daal roti most days, drink lassi/badaam dudh, seasonal fruit - eat on a timely basis etc.

In my own family, my grandfather lived to 87 years old (took amrit at 40, then had good dietary habits thereafter) - until his death he was driving everywhere and doing kirtan at his local Gurdwara 3 times a week, totally independant. His grandfather before him was fighting and leading a Unit in Iraq in WW1 @ nearly the same age (85).

Other people I have spoken to said in the pre-post partition, their elders were working fields into their mid 90s, and all the health problems (heart, diabetes etc) our people suffer everywhere now were literally unheard of back then.

This along with an active lifestyle - and no silly pension culture (today it's a que to spend the rest of your life watching Indian dramas on Sky) - has made much difference. Not to mention the uptake of junk food, eating out, celebrating every possible occassion within a massive circle of friends/relatives (and the food which follows), alchoholism... blah blah.

Most of our people have zero activity in their lifestyle, they may play football once a week or go to the gym occasionally when guilt arises, but not much else. Yet they eat as if they are digging up mountains.

Pehlvani exercises were a normal part of the daily regime for many Sikhs a few generations back i.e. dhaand, betkan, swinging weights and even running etc etc. Today, world class athletes/martial artists swear by these 'Hindu' exercise regimes, and our lot are sitting on playsations.

I strongly recommend all Sikhs (esp Singhs) to take up a real martial art and make it a serious part of their daily routine. This will lead on to a health awareness, thereby leading one to improve their dietary habits as well as creating an active (and martial) culture within the household for boys and girls. This is much better than the amount of time apnay waste on watching and playing football for instance today. As girls can rarely join in and I doubt many families would want their good Gursikh boy (or girl) to become pro Footballers and risk indulgence in the crappy culture it involves.

Edited by shaheediyan

I know what you mean. My grand-dad could still a put a roof on an extention in his 90s.

Fact is the majority of Sikhs did very physically demanding work not long ago. So they would get intense physical workouts even without trying.

But we've 'progressed' since then.....