Short Video On Panjabi 'student' Problems In Uk

Well worth a watch. Was impressed by Rabbi Shergill's take on the matter. Looks like a lot of the immigrants just want to immigrate to live it large.

• 4 months later...

The other day I asked a nice fauji uncle ji at the Gurdwara why pendus don't train in bricklaying, carpentry, plastering in Panjab before bootha chak kay coming here with no skill. Then a bunch of freshies gathered and we talked. They confessed that the people are ashamed to be seen with 'dirty clothes' over there, so they would never do it. He explicitly told me that pendus considered beneath them over there.

What a bunch of dicks. You don't see the Polish worrying about that. For that little effort they can go from Ā£50 a day to Ā£90/Ā£100. Shame on the bigshot village scum.

Dalsingh

Do you really think a person in Punjab really think that he will do mazdoori abroad? Life late teens and early 20s is full of dreams Only when the reality hit them they realised that they have no other option

I specifically asked the pendus if they knew they were likely to do building work when they came here - they said yes.

You need to stop making excuses for Panjabis being dumb. The other freshies (from Pakistan and outside of Panjab) seem to have better jobs. Some of them professional in the city. It seems like mostly pend boys doing no brain donkey/driver work here? The same ones who refuse to learn a trade back home before they come here because they think they are above it?

I'm still shocked people haven't opened trade schools in Panjab and pendus don't attend them to have better options for work here??

Only our lot are short sighted like that.

I specifically asked the pendus if they knew they were likely to do building work when they came here - they said yes.

If they knew it then they should had learn but in the documentry the guy was saying about dihari.None of the interviewed back In Punjab said that they are going to do building work

Anyway schools in India are of no use they will take money ,then they will ask students to do some work and after six months they will give them certificate with full marks.The golden rule of India is you have to learn everything on your own

What if a guy wanted to learn bricklaying or carpentry in Panjab. What provisions are there?

What if a guy wanted to learn bricklaying or carpentry in Panjab. What provisions are there?

There are no provision to learn these things through schools.If you have money then employ a professional bricklayer or carpenter and ask him to teach you.Or just attach yourself with an experianced bricklayer and do whatever he says,but the problem is he may scold you many times which many people don't like.

Many times the issue of child labour is raised but everybody turn a blind eye that Children work to earn and learn.majority of people in India learn all the low level work in this way.

Also it is much better if anyone open school their for these people as charity In UK.

These days bengali muslims are dominating all low level work in cities here because they are tightly knit community .they work as maid,rikshaw puller labourer vendors and as the demand of more labour come they just telephone to their village so more of their community can benefit

Edited by kdsingh80

You need to stop making excuses for Panjabis being dumb. The other freshies (from Pakistan and outside of Panjab) seem to have better jobs. Some of them professional in the city. It seems like mostly pend boys doing no brain donkey/driver work here? The same ones who refuse to learn a trade back home before they come here because they think they are above it?

I'm still shocked people haven't opened trade schools in Panjab and pendus don't attend them to have better options for work here??

Only our lot are short sighted like that.

Dal,have you ever thought about having discussions with people in a nice manner?

Edited by G.Kaur

Well worth a watch. Was impressed by Rabbi Shergill's take on the matter. Looks like a lot of the immigrants just want to immigrate to live it large.

Interesting video. I will get back with a reply soon. I'm off to work now.

It reminds me of those video's:

Flying dream: Praying for a visa

Bride bazaar haunts Punjab

Real Life of Punjabis abroad [Part 1]

Real Life of Punjabis abroad [Part 2]

Homeless Sikhs in Southall

Edited by G.Kaur

Dal,have you ever thought about having discussions with people in a nice manner?

Occasionally. But then I decide against it.

And this is one reasons for the craze for going abroad.

Luxury cars' demand on the rise in Punjab

Punjabi's have forgotten most basic rule of sikhi and that is simple living.Punjab is in thirld world cpuntry of India.It can only provide you simple life small house ,family.It cannot provide you the lavish lifestyle through fair means

Dal, I don't understand your logic or way of reasoning.

Why did Punjabis come to Europe and the US between the 1950's to the 1980's? Most of them came here because they were told that there are better jobs in the West, more money than you would earn in India/Punjab and better opportunities for their families and for their children's future. A few of them were/are refugees who had been suffering torture and had to leave Punjab to save their lives.

Think about this; why did your parents come to the UK? Why didn't they stay in Punjab, why did they have/want to leave their homeland? It was probably one of the reasons I have stated above, right?

There's no reason to be arrogant towards other's when we are no different ourselves.

You always talk about people being pendu's and freshies and they have no skills when they come to the UK etc. But whose fault is it that Punjabis have become like this? It's our fault, all of us who live in the western world. Punjab has changed a lot in the last 10 years. The first time I was in India was in 1992 when I was 7-years-old, at that time there weren't that many Punjabis, like there are now, who had moved to Europe or the US. People were always saying "eh bahro aaye" and treated me and my siblings like we were some royal people from Europe. That's how they thought we wanted to be treated because we came from Europe. But we didn't.

Nowadays all you see in Punjab are poster's on every single street in the shaher's saying "go to the UK, US, Canada, Australia or New Zealand for higher studies", more than 80-90% of Punjabi want to go abroad (the youth and their parents) and people try to find ways to get out of Punjab either by getting married to a NRI, fake marriages with people who can take them abroad and then leave them once they have arrived to their destination, do ielts or illegal immigration.

We also see a lot of Punjabis (people who are born and bred in Punjab) going abroad for a year or two and then come back to visit their families, and suddenly they come back totally arrogant and changed and they act superior and can't even drink water from the tap I've met many people who go to Europe for a few years and then when they come back to Punjab for vacation they think they are too superior to eat roti from their own house! The house they just left few years ago and now they want to eat roti from restaurants, they can't wash their own or their children's clothes or go get a glass of water for themselves.

Like I said before it's the NRI's fault. They come to Punjab once in a while, make a lot of money in the western world and then act like king's and queen's in Punjab. They buy a lot of expensive sona, build big kothi's and act like everyone is beneath them. Then when they come back to real world, their lives in the western world, they might not be that rich and maybe they clean toilet's at Heathrow airport. They are pressured to create an illusion of wealth and prosperity. I mean who's going to tell their family members "I left Punjab to clean the white people's toilet's"? The double standards make me sick. People in Punjab won't clean their neighbour's naali in the pind because they say that's what chure, chamar and chir do but in Europe they are standing in big lines waiting to clean toilet's. This is just one of the many examples of this problem.

Of course people in Punjab get jealous when they see foreigners with a lot of money, expensive cars, a lot of jewellery, going to expensive restaurants and have big houses. Who wouldn't be jealous? I'm sure you have read psychology, I don't remember which psychiatric (maybe it was Sigmund Freud) who said this, but man is selfish and greedy and wants more and more. Why should Punjabis be different?

Why did Punjabis come to Europe and the US between the 1950's to the 1980's? Most of them came here because they were told that there are better jobs in the West, more money than you would earn in India/Punjab and better opportunities for their families and for their children's future. A few of them were/are refugees who had been suffering torture and had to leave Punjab to save their lives.

I'm not talking about the political refugees (they are a separate case). I was talking from my experiences in the UK, where it seems like the number of people who came as refugees in the 80s are significantly smaller than other places like the US or Canada.

Think about this; why did your parents come to the UK? Why didn't they stay in Punjab, why did they have/want to leave their homeland? It was probably one of the reasons I have stated above, right?

Yes, but my whole point is that unlike other peoples, who would have fine tuned their understanding of the situation they were about to propel themselves into (by use of corporate experiences of the community aboard - i.e. information from this source filtering through back home), our lot seem to have totally neglected this, to their own disadvantage.

There's no reason to be arrogant towards other's when we are no different ourselves.

No, if I was going abroad, I'd try and do the homework before hand to give myself an edge, it's the lack of this that I am bewildered about. This notion is nothing new. When you read the original white man accounts of Panjab (see for yourself by getting this book), you quickly notice how the people writing the narratives (many as early as the late 1700s), where scoping out the terrain and sussing out the environment. These narrratives where valued in the west because they used them to understand new territory - to their advantage. This helped them form plans, strategies etc. which eventually played a part in them conquering and subjugating our homeland for a century.

You always talk about people being pendu's and freshies and they have no skills when they come to the UK etc. But whose fault is it that Punjabis have become like this? It's our fault, all of us who live in the western world.

No it isn't. You're just making excuses for inexcusable short sightedness on part of our pendus. I've spoken to a few of them. They knew damn well that they were highly likely to be doing manual labour in construction (or really low level work like driving). I'm just flabbergasted that they never did themselves a big favour and tried to refine their skillset - FOR THEIR OWN ADVANTAGE. What's more, no one seems to have the initiative or foresight to develop vocational training centres there that would help the Panjab economy as well as the immigrants. It's not rocket science.

Nowadays all you see in Punjab are poster's on every single street in the shaher's saying "go to the UK, US, Canada, Australia or New Zealand for higher studies", more than 80-90% of Punjabi want to go abroad (the youth and their parents) and people try to find ways to get out of Punjab either by getting married to a NRI, fake marriages with people who can take them abroad and then leave them once they have arrived to their destination, do ielts or illegal immigration.

Again I'm talking from a UK perspective. It's pretty pathetic that they don't get skills (that they could) to help them do better once they get here. It's pretty lame that people haven't opened craft schools over there in this respect. But then from what the guys at the Gurdwara were saying (and I have no reason to doubt them), was that the youngsters don't want to learn a trade over there - purely for ego reasons, as they deemed themselves degraded in some way by doing so, then they come here and try and do it any way. So really, it's their ego that is preventing them from learning something that could really help them out. You're just making excuses for it. Which is understandable as it is our own people, but on the other hand it helps perpetuate the stupid behaviour too. So you need to stop it.

We also see a lot of Punjabis (people who are born and bred in Punjab) going abroad for a year or two and then come back to visit their families, and suddenly they come back totally arrogant and changed and they act superior and can't even drink water from the tap I've met many people who go to Europe for a few years and then when they come back to Punjab for vacation they think they are too superior to eat roti from their own house! The house they just left few years ago and now they want to eat roti from restaurants, they can't wash their own or their children's clothes or go get a glass of water for themselves.

Again, it just reinforces what I was saying above. Rampant egocentrism from people back home.

Like I said before it's the NRI's fault. They come to Punjab once in a while, make a lot of money in the western world and then act like king's and queen's in Punjab. They buy a lot of expensive sona, build big kothi's and act like everyone is beneath them. Then when they come back to real world, their lives in the western world, they might not be that rich and maybe they clean toilet's at Heathrow airport. They are pressured to create an illusion of wealth and prosperity.

Pure excuses. NO ONE pressures them into acting like big shots. They do it because they get a sense of superiority i.e. ego. This is just one manifestation of this rampant problem with apnay. It needs condemning, not justification.

I mean who's going to tell their family members "I left Punjab to clean the white people's toilet's"? The double standards make me sick. People in Punjab won't clean their neighbour's naali in the pind because they say that's what chure, chamar and chir do but in Europe they are standing in big lines waiting to clean toilet's. This is just one of the many examples of this problem.

That is exactly what I am getting at. Seems like pend boys are the worse at this. They will look down on everyone in Panjab and then do that very work once they get out. The hypocrisy is shameless and face it - underlying all this is caste bullshit pumped into their heads.

Regarding your point about jealousy. Yes, every one has this, but our lot are off the scale with it. The guys from back home I spoke too openly admitted, Panjabi Sikhs absolutely can't stand to see their own do well. You'd better face up to the fact that not all other communities have this horrible mentality to the degrees ours has.

Example: get a bunch of Anglo-Saxons in a foreign country - they help each other take over the place. Get a bunch of apnay in an identical situation and see the difference for yourself.

My thoughts are whether this is a characteristic innately within our people, or some bad habit we've picked up along the way? I know the misls would fight each other jealously over land acquisition, so maybe it is something that has been around a long time. That pendu obsession with status and petty one-up-manship can't help either.

Edited by dalsingh101

One last thing, the majority of Indian people that come to the West are usually not aware of the fact that they have to do menial labour. They, believe it or not, think that opportunities for them are greater than they are.

That isn't the impression I got from talking with them. Plus surely information regarding the kind of work their family get up to must have filtered back to the villages.

I'd say only a small amount of the most naive people fall into the category you mention above?

My end point is about people having the brains to create centres of education/vocational training that actually help immigrants. It says a lot that no one has had the foresight to create such things in Panjab.

Edited by dalsingh101

Of course people in Punjab get jealous when they see foreigners with a lot of money, expensive cars, a lot of jewellery, going to expensive restaurants and have big houses. Who wouldn't be jealous? I'm sure you have read psychology

Many times it is not jealousy but people start thinking that this is the only way to earn.Just like Punjab have craze of Migrating abroad we middle class have craze of software industry.It started in late 90s when software companies started giving hefty salaries soon people started thinking that IT industry is their passport to become rich with fair means as a result every parent started forcing his son and even daughters to pursue IT industry career even if they don't like .12-14 hours working hours ,working on weekend ,life away from family nothing stopped them.Now the trend is reversing salaries are same but inflation wise they are nothing what they were in late 90s

My end point is about people having the brains to create centres of education/vocational training that actually help immigrants. It says a lot that no one has had the foresight to create such things in Panjab

HERE is a list for you about the vocational training institutes in Punjab

http://www.punjabteched.net/

There are 172 Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs) and Art and Craft Institutes spread throughout the State of Punjab. They have been categorised under four regions namely : Patiala, Ludhiana, Amritsar and Bathinda.

Examination of 83 different trades affiliated with the National Council of Vocational Training of Government of India and State Council of Vocational Training are conducted and evaluated by the Board.

At a time Board handles about 10,000 to 12,000 students of different trades. The Board conducts four examination for the ITI courses (May, July, November & March) every year. About 10,000 ITI students who pass the Final Trade Test and Apprenticeship examinations are issued certificates.

http://www.dtepunjab.gov.in/web/itis_new/private.htm

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apart from this there are many private institutes in many states of India which provide vocational training.The main problem is everyone knows in that attending a school or institute is just for getting a certificate ,nothing more than that .

What about construction work?

What sort of provisions are there to learn these?

Or are these passed down from family to family only?

Edited by dalsingh101

Dal, I'm not making excuses or trying to defend anyone. We can go and on and on with this discussion, and I see your point, but try for once to have an open mind and see my point as well. At the end of the day, just as my view on this situation represents some Punjabis and not all, so does yours.

And give us a break with your thesis on Punjabis on the run, your whole argument relies on the statements on a few Punjabis you have met at the Gurdwara. Conduct a world wide survey on the topic and then we'll see if your theory holds.

What about construction work?

What sort of provisions are there to learn these?

Or are these passed down from family to family only?

Some iti's do provide these courses but I don't think they are in Punjab.Generally Labourers work under a mason and slowly they get the skills of mason and some become very expert .This is the way construction work is done in India.

One last thing, the majority of Indian people that come to the West are usually not aware of the fact that they have to do menial labour.

I havent found that from any of the indians who come here. From the people ive spoken to they were pretty sure they wold be doing labour, or packing strawberries. And the last guy i spoke to, 2 weeks ago, in his late 40s, paid Rs 12 lakh to get over here. He was begging me to find him a job. Anything he said, i'll do anything.

I havent found that from any of the indians who come here. From the people ive spoken to they were pretty sure they wold be doing labour, or packing strawberries. And the last guy i spoke to, 2 weeks ago, in his late 40s, paid Rs 12 lakh to get over here. He was begging me to find him a job. Anything he said, i'll do anything.

How could anybody in late 40s expect to do desk job.Of course when he took the flight he very well knew that he has to do menial jobs.BTW what about educated students do they also say that they will do menial labour

Agent's in Punjab do not tell them what kind of work they will doing once they arrive in the West. It's not like they're saying "pay me 8-15 lakh rupees so you can go to the UK and clean toilet's at Heathrow airport" (just an example).

I went with my cousin to an office in Ludhiana 2 years ago, and the agent told her and her husband that her husband would get a good job (she (the agent) said there were many jobs available in the UK. She just forgot to tell them about the recession) and she would get a part-time job too. My cousin goes to uni and her husband is working at Heathrow airport, he's probably cleaning the toilet's.