Why do we have toof and joth?

Guest kaur1699

Fateh Ji,

Godd questions, I am not too sure about the Jot, but some years back my Kirtan teacher was telling us about the toof, and he said that back in the day it was used to perfume/freshen the air and he thinks that its no longer required now as we have all other things to do that for example perfumes/air freshners etc etc...

Also thats a good point about the passive smoking type effect (I have often thought that while 'smoke' whisped past my head :? ), I suppose it depends on what the toof is made up off... If there are any harmful things in it (I don't know what toof is made up off) then I suppose it could have an effect on the body...

According to the Sikh Rehat Maryada, Sikhs are told not to believe in magic, spells, incantation, omens, etc... And are also not supposed to keep Diva's - (the ceremony of keeping an oil lamp lit for 360 days after a person's death, in the belief that that lights the path of the deceased)..

So you said some people keep Diva's for shaheeds - well that's against Gursikhi, we should just do ardaas for them and try to live our lives dedicated to their sacrifices.. A Diva does nothing.

Sikhs are also not supposed to believe in using Toofs or whatever to keep evil spirits away. If someone is 'possessed' or even confronted by evil spirits, they're supposed to do a sehaj paath and some people have even contacted the Panj Pyare when a matter like this comes up..

But toofs, and wearing black necklaces and putting black dots on your face -- that's all Anti - Gurmat and it wont really protect you from anything anyway, only Guru Jee can protect you from, well, anything really..

So you said some people keep Diva's for shaheeds - well that's against Gursikhi

well said jee. in presence of guru maharaj(sggsjee), v r nt supposed 2 lite candle or diwa.

one think 2 clarify here is i hav seen in many houses tat when a person dies, at his bhog ceremony, they keep photo of tat person in front of guru maharaj da sarop. even tats also wrong. inside gurudwara n guru maharaj di hazoori v r nt supposed 2 hang any photo, pic of a person.

SSA

not only at homes but also in gurdwara i have seen that when there is akandh paath a lamp or jyot of desi ghee is kept alight dont know much about it though the reason behind it......

dont remember where but at least in one of the takaths when they do evening aarti they light up a lamp...now what explains that....

Wjkk Wjkf

divas are very importent

the sent given off from a pure butter dive is food for sheeds

and that's a fact.

where ever there is a desi ghee joht there will be sheeds present

:? :? :?

what are u talking about veerjee

try to re-read jsb's post.

Guest kaur1699

Fateh Ji,

I was told today ( by a Aunty Ji at the Gurdwara) that jyots were used in the past when there was not electricity etc to provide light during the continuous reading of Guru Sahib, hence the need for the source of light back then... a jyot

I don't know whether the use of a jyot slowly turned into tradition or there is some other reason behind the jyot...

What is the meaning of Aarti?

A. Sant Giani Naranjan Singh Ji: When a person cries out in

helplessness to God from his innermost being, the words or Shabad

that comes become Aarti. It means 'benti' or 'terla' or begging in

ardas. To surrender completely to one's Guru Ji. When a human being

becomes helpless, he then surrenders. Surrender should be complete .

Aarti should be done like a servant or jachak. Worldly people have

made Aarti into an outward show.

"His Aarti, his lamp-lit worship service, is the Kirtan of His

Praises, which brings lasting bliss."

(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee 393)

What is the meaning of Aarti?

A. Sant Giani Naranjan Singh Ji: When a person cries out in

helplessness to God from his innermost being, the words or Shabad

that comes become Aarti. It means 'benti' or 'terla' or begging in

ardas. To surrender completely to one's Guru Ji. When a human being

becomes helpless, he then surrenders. Surrender should be complete .

Aarti should be done like a servant or jachak. Worldly people have

made Aarti into an outward show.

this is so true..ive been through it and felt it...God really helps when u pray like that...at a stage like that only God can help...

fateh

i think u r talking abt takht sri hazoor sahib jee.

they r doing it frm so many years back.

yes could be hazoor sahib but what i dont understand is that whats the purpose of saying "gagan me thaal" and "chand deepak " when you are actualy doing a aarti with a lamp. and its not just lighting the lamp but using it to do the aarti now dont know when this tradition started and why is it that it is not like that at other takaths.

wjkk wjkf