Kara And Sikhi

Since which Gurus time did the Sikh start wearing Karas? Did Guru Nanak Sahib also wear one?

What was the original purpose of wearing one? Was it only the spiritual significance of doing 'nirmal karam' (good deeds) or was it used as a 'weapon' during Battles.

One thing is sure that the Kara in Sikhi predates Guru Gobind Singh. I have seen a picture of Guru Tegh Bahadur's Kara preserved in a Gurdwara.

Any photo of the Guru Tegh Bahadur kara? What did it look like?

The lack of explicit reference to karay in most extant older rehats is quite conspicuous though.

Edited by dalsingh101

Awesome pic!

Does everyone know that kara is a Farsi word. Apparently it symbolises slavery in that culture and doesn't have to be made of metal or be fully circular (according to some Shia I met).

Truth is though, an external researcher would query the provenance of the kara.

People can make these things up very easily.

Guest zulu

I think the earliest textual reference to the kara is from 1770s british account.

From emperical evidence we have a kara of Guru Tegh Bahadur

It's a shastar

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150387065245001&oid=26608290120

Nihang Niddar Singh demonstrates and expands upon the history and technique employed by Hindu Sikh Soldiers in Loh Mushti, a means of fist fighting whilst wearing an iron bracelet. This clip is intended purely for educational and informational purposes and it not meant to be an instructional video. Attempts to copy the techniques shown could lead to injury.

I remember a painting done in the 1800s of a nihang walking with a kara which looked pretty thick in his hand, and his left hand over his katar, cant seem to find it though.

Before anyone starts having a go at me for the link please reflect on this 'see each other's virtues & stop dwelling on the shortcomings'

Regards

Rudra

P.S

There was an article written in a french mag during the time of maharaja ranjit singhs rule, talks about sikh in his army fighting out their differences in an very unchristian way of boxing with kareh.

Edited by zulu

There was an article written in a french mag during the time of maharaja ranjit singhs rule, talks about sikh in his army fighting out their differences in an very unchristian way of boxing with kareh.

Niddar doesn't mention the use of karay when he talks about this in the vid???

To be honest I find the whole idea that karay were officially weapons hard to swallow. Unless they were like mini chakars worn on the wrist (see image)? And yes, I know Nabha refers to them as 'weapons of the wrist'. That being said, maybe I'm wrong because now I think of it, chunky karay always have been used knuckle duster style to bang people out. I remember a few years ago, I was with a group celebrating someone's birthday, and we went to some club thing and the bouncer refused to let us in with karay because (he claimed) 'people start clumping each other in fights with them'. There does seem to be skant (if any) reference to the use of kray as shasters/asters though.

205d1241613882-nihungs-nihangs-their-amazing-role-sikh-nihang4.jpg

Guest zulu

Zulu

Do you have a copy of the french article?

I remember Niddar Singh reading it out...I am sure I saw an internet copy of the quote somewhere, I shall try find it when I have time.

• 1 month later...

Karai have been long around a lot longer than Sikhi. In some rare Gujrati Akharas which still practice Vajra Mushti, there is a big history of using various styles of dangerous iron bracelets as weapons whilst engaging in grappling. If one looks at old paintings of Nihang Singhs, its very clear what the kara was used for. They protect the sword arm, but unless someone has knowledge of combat, it will make no sense to them. Karai were used as chakkars, shields for the arms and weapons in their own right. Jamdar karai are a good example.

In other Hindu influenced SE Asian cultures, braclets made of different materials are also used as weapons, I have come across Mindanoan Filipino tribes who wore sharp thick bracelts made of shell, which were used offensively. In traditional boktar Martial traditions, one also sees warriors wearing bracelets. I certain forms of Kungfu, iron bangles of various sizes are used for conditioning and developing strength in the arms, as well as used as weapons in their own right i.e. Hung Gar. Some Warrior tribes from Africa (tribal and Sufi) also have amazing dangerous forms of war karai i.e. The Murle from Sudan ane Hausa from Nigeria.