1699 - Khande Di Pahul

SikhSangat is a site for beginners (and moorakhs). They got some strange rules. They go like we support Dasam Granth because Akal Takth says so but then they are anti-meat, while Akal Takht Rehat allows us to consume Jhatka.

I have read that post you mention. Was quite sick to write something like that. I don't like this gender equality getting into everything.

I agree but I feel that AKJ/Taksal stance is taking over Sikhi overall in west. And when they don't agree with others they threaten them.

Edited by SikhKhoj

Khoj, maybe you can help translate this from Kankan's Das Gur Katha?

ਤਿਨ ਕਾ ਸੁਤ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸਿੰਘ ਸਭ ਗੁਰੂਅਨ ਸਿਰਮੌਰ।

ਜੈਸੇ ਅਵਿਤਾਰਨ ਬਿਖੈ ਕ੍ਰਿਸ਼ਨ ਸਮਾਨ ਨ ਔਰ।।

ਸ੍ਵੈਯਾ - ਪੀਰਨ ਤੇ ਜਿਨ ਪੀਰੀ ਹਰੀ ਲੀਨੀ ਗੁਰਾਈ।

ਸ਼ਾਹਨਿ ਸੋਂ ਪਤਿਸਾਹੀ ਹਰੀ ਅਰੁ ਮੀਰਨ ਕੀ ਜਿਨ ਮੀਰੀ ਗਵਾਈ।

ਚਾਰੋਂ ਹੀ ਬਰਨ ਮਿਲਾਯ ਦੀਏ ਜਿਨ ਕਾਹੂੰ ਮੈ ਨਾਂਹਿ ਰਹੀ ਬਿਸਨਾਈ (1) ।

ਐਸੋ ਹੀ ਮੇਂ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸਿੰਘ ਅਕਾਲ ਅਕਾਲ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਜਪਾਈ।

ਸੋਹਤ ਹੈ ਕਲਗੀ ਤਿਹ ਸੀਸ ਪੈ ਹੀਰਨ ਕੀ ਜੜਤੀ ਸੋਂ ਜੜਾਈ।

ਇੰਦਰ ਕੀ ਕਲਗੀ ਹੂੰ ਤੇ ਸੁੰਦਰ ਚੰਦ ਔ ਸੂਰ ਤੇ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਵਾਈ।

ਮੋਤਿਨ ਮਾਲ ਬਸੈ ਗਰ ਪੈ ਜੈਸੇ ਸ਼ਯਾਮ ਗਰੇ ਬਨ ਮਾਲ (2) ਸੁਹਾਈ।

ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸਿੰਘ ਕਹਾਵਤ ਹੀ ਜਿਨ ਤੀਨ ਹੂੰ ਲੋਕ ਮੈਂ ਕੀਨੀ ਗੁਰਾਈ।।

Footnotes:

(1)

ਵੈਸ਼ਨਵਪਣਾ, ਵਿਸ਼ਨੂੰ ਉਪਾਸ਼ਕ ਉੱਪਸ਼ਕ ਉੱਚ ਜਾਤੀ ਲੋਕ । ਉੱਚਤਾ । (ਅ) ਬੇ + ਆਸ਼ਨਾਈ = ਨਾ ਮਿਲਵਰਤਣ ।

(2)

ਬਨ ਦੇ ਫੁਲਾਂ ਦੀ ਮਾਲਾ ।

Edited by dalsingh101

just to digress with the womens pagh thing.

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/60564-womens-dastar/

initially i found this ss.com thread quite hilarious; however i think the underlying attitude thats coming through from the participants is quite worrying.

just to digress with the womens pagh thing.

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/60564-womens-dastar/

initially i found this ss.com thread quite hilarious; however i think the underlying attitude thats coming through from the participants is quite worrying.

Ha ha! Her pagh style is against maryada.....

I bet you some of those complaining will be jealous, kudoo Panjabans. Females often get angry like that over competitive physical appearances. I think it's evolutionary.

But it shows how dumb we can get as a community. With all the problems we have we can still find amritdharis to complain about someone else's turban style....

Edited by dalsingh101

Yes thats right, we are the only community that can NEVER stick togheter.

I tried Dal,

Their son, Gobind Singh, was the supreme of all Gurus,

Like Krishna from the incarnations, he was unmatchable.

Swaiyya – Like Piri is taken from Pirs, (he took) Guruship from the Lord.

The same Lord who made Kings lose Kingdoms and chieftainship of chiefs

I made many mistakes for sure, so feel free to correct them.

Then I am kind off struck, 'all four varans were merged togheter' but don't see the ਬਿਸਨਾਈ in the context. Could you try translating that?

ਚਾਰੋਂ ਹੀ ਬਰਨ ਮਿਲਾਯ ਦੀਏ ਜਿਨ ਕਾਹੂੰ ਮੈ ਨਾਂਹਿ ਰਹੀ ਬਿਸਨਾਈ (1)

[He] combined the 4 castes, who stated that I will not remain Vaisnav [read Hindu?].

Adorning a beautiful diamond set aigrette (kalgi) upon the head

More beautiful than Indra's aigrette, greater than the light of the moon and sun

ਮੋਤਿਨ ਮਾਲ ਬਸੈ ਗਰ ਪੈ ਜੈਸੇ ਸ਼ਯਾਮ ਗਰੇ ਬਨ ਮਾਲ (2) ਸੁਹਾਈ

A necklace of jewels rested on the Guru like the beautiful garland on the neck of Krishna

Call him Gobind Singh who achieved guruship over the three people (presumably he is talking about the habitants of the trebhavans - mat lok, dev lok and asuras?)

But I don't know if this text has something to do with 1699 at all? Yes there is the 4 Varans mention, but no Amrit nothing. Or is this off-topic?

This guy may have witnessed it. He is said to be contemporary, so we need to give him attention. We have the early reference to the merging of castes which is important - especially with so many closet casteists today.

Thing is Singh, if we are struggling with small pieces like this, translating large, manuscripts seems unrealistic.

Anyway, have a look at the last few pages of this:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/36980070/Das-Guru-Katha-by-Kankan-Poet-Kavi-in-the-Durbar-of-Guru-Gobind-Singh-Sahib

It says he asked for 5 Sikh heads, gave them pahul and refers to keeping kesh on the head (last paragraph).

Edited by dalsingh101

Their son, Gobind Singh, was the supreme of all Gurus,

Like Krishna from the incarnations, he was unmatchable.

Swaiyya – Like Piri is taken from Pirs, (he took) Guruship from the Lord.

The same Lord who made Kings lose Kingdoms and chieftainship of chiefs

ਚਾਰੋਂ ਹੀ ਬਰਨ ਮਿਲਾਯ ਦੀਏ ਜਿਨ ਕਾਹੂੰ ਮੈ ਨਾਂਹਿ ਰਹੀ ਬਿਸਨਾਈ

[He] combined the 4 castes, who stated that I will not remain Vaisnav [read Hindu?].

Adorning a beautiful diamond, set aigrette (kalgi) upon the head

More beautiful than Indra's aigrette, greater than the light of the moon and sun

ਮੋਤਿਨ ਮਾਲ ਬਸੈ ਗਰ ਪੈ ਜੈਸੇ ਸ਼ਯਾਮ ਗਰੇ ਬਨ ਮਾਲ ਸੁਹਾਈ

A necklace of jewels rested on the Guru like the beautiful garland on the neck of Krishna

Call him Gobind Singh who achieved Guruship over the three worlds.

Yes important for merging 4 Varnas, but there are so many rehats out there saying this. Mukatnama says 'charo varan mile gur bhai'. So, I prefer discussing material directly related to the 1699 event.

Kankan is 'said to be'. Possible. I saw the Granth a while ago and the last pages are missing (just where the Amrit Sanchaar section starts). If anybody could lay his hands on it, would be nice.

Besides we are not out to translate whole Granths, just the sections we need.

Edited by SikhKhoj

If anybody could lay his hands on it, would be nice.

Besides we are not out to translate whole Granths, just the sections we need.

I've asked someone to try and get hold of a copy. Why don't you try and translate the little bit about the amrit sanchar that is in online book in the meanwhile?

Sort of like a warm up exercise.

Saying Guru Gobind Singh was greater than all of the other Guru's is theologically incorrect and uttter blasphemy though the line probably shows more of Kavi Kankan's devotion to Maharaj than expressing the theological stance on Guruship in Sikhi .

I think he means guru as in spiritual teachers in general, not the Sikh ones, who were accepted as one in spirit long before this.

Edited by dalsingh101

Will try Dal. Inform me when you got the copy.

Amardeep, you are right. I also found that strange when translating. But Kankan probably meant all other Gurus as in teachers, not Sikh Gurus.

Its not three people but three worlds, a phrase which is often used in Puratan literature. It is even found in Guru Granth Sahib:

ਗੁਰੁ ਦਾਤਾ ਗੁਰੁ ਹਿਵੈ ਘਰੁ ਗੁਰੁ ਦੀਪਕੁ ਤਿਹ ਲੋਇ ॥

The Guru is the Giver; the Guru is the House of ice. The Guru is the Light of the three worlds.

Translation of the available section.

[Khalsa Di Saajna]

With endeavour of (starting) a Panth, (the Guru) called five Sikhs. The Guru gave them Pahul, made them keep hair on their heads. 213.

The Guru said: ‘Do not meet five kinds of people’. Stop doing bad actions, do good ones. 214.

Who are these five kinds? Minas (descendants of Prithi Chand) and...

Also translate the previous one (Panth Rachan Layi Praan)?

Edited by SikhKhoj

Also translate the previous one (Panth Rachan Layi Praan)?

I'm busy trying to finish of one I started earlier. Why don't you make a start with this one? I generally struggle with older stuff anyway (not that I'm not frequently baffled with contemporary stuff too).

Another word used for three worlds in Gurbani is ਤ੍ਰਿਭਵਣਿ - Traibhavan. Three worlds is probably a metaphor for the whole universe, everything in this universe.

That's what I based my opinion on. Jaap Sahib's opening chand mentions this too, describing God as traibhavan maheep (king of the three worlds. It then states sur (devtay), nar (men), asur (demons). Like you I believe this is a metaphor or Indic conceptualisation for the universe. Upper, manheld and lower regions.

More like a cosmic universe then..´

Here is something from Sri Sainapat which you can look into later on establishing the panth

http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Proofs_in_Sri_Gur_Sobha_Granth_about_Guru_Gobind_Singh%27s_Compositions

Edited by amardeep

Which one you doing before this? (the one by Prof. Sahib Singh?)

Yes.

Make a start on your one and I'll jump in when I finish mine (if need be).

Will try to Dal.

Sri Gur Sobha

To enumerate the twenty different adhyayas or chapters, the first entitled "Panth Pragas Barnan" contains, besides introductory stanzas, names of the ten Gurus and describes, on the lines of the fifth canto of Guru Gobind Singh's Bachitra Natak, that the tenth Guru created Khalsa Panth in response to a divine command. The chapters that follow are (2) "Teg Pragas" depicting the battle of Bhangani; (3) "Rajan Het Sangram," the batde of Nadaun; (4) battles with Khanzada and Husain Khan: (5) "Bachan Pragas" describing cessation of masand system and the creation of the Khalsa: (6) "Bachan Bichar" delineating ideals of the Khalsa ; (7) "Rahit Pragas" announcing the way of life of the Khalsa ; (8) the first battle of Anandpur; (9) the battle ofNirmohgarh; (10) battles of Basali and Kalmot; (11) the second battle of Anandpur ; (12) the battle of Chamkaur ; (13) "Kala Pragas" describing the Guru's journey from Chamkaur to Malva, battle of Muktsar and Epistle of Victory; (14) "Kichak Mar" giving details of journey towards the South and the battle of Baghaur ; (15) "Zikr Badshahi" regarding the war of succession between two sons of Aurangzib ; (16) "Mulaqat Badshah Ki," i.e. meeting with Emperor Bahadur Shah; (17) "Sahibzada kaJudh ar Zikr Rah Ka " describing journey through Rajasthan and skirmish at Chittorgarh ; (18) "Joti Jot Samavana", i.e. the passing away of Guru Gobind Singh ; (19) "Agam Pragas," an expression of the poet's view about the future of the Khalsa ; and (20) "Sarb Upama" is the poet's salutation to the Omnipresent God.

Amardeep, is that link the whole Vaisakhi prasang in Gur Sobha (i.e. 'Bachan Pragas')? I don't think it is.

Edited by SikhKhoj

I typed up the Vaisakhi stanzas from Kesar Singhs Bansawlinama. Can anybody confirm if the event description stops at verse 319 or continous? Thanks.

ਸੰਮਤ ਸਤਾਰਾਂ ਸੌ ਚਉਰੰਜਾ ਗਏ | ਦਿਨ ਚੇਤ੍ਰ ਦੇ ਅਠਾਈ ਬਾਕੀ ਰਹੇ | ਦਿਨ ਤੋ ਗੁਜਰੇ ਚੌਪਾ ਸਿੰਘ ਬੁਲਾਇਆ | ਦਰਬਾਰ ਲਗਾ ਹੋਯਾ ਦੀਵਾਨ ਦੋਨੇ ਪਾਸ ਬਹਾਇਆ | ੩੧੬ |

ਬਚਨ ਕੀਤਾ 'ਕਟੋਰਾ ਜਲ ਦਾ ਸੁਚੇਤ ਕਰ ਲੈ ਆਓ' | ਲੈ ਆਇਆ ਦਿਤੀ ਕਰਦ ਕਹਿਆ ਹਿਲਾਊ | ਜਪੁ ਅਤੇ ਅਨੰਦੁ ਰਸਨੀ ਕਰ ਉਚਾਰੁ | ਤਾਂ ਦੀਵਾਨ ਸਾਹਿਬਚੰਦ ਹਥ ਜੋੜਿ ਖਲੋਤਾ ਵਿਚ ਦਰਬਾਰ | ੩੧੭ |

ਕਹਿਆ ਗਰੀਬਨਿਵਾਜ 'ਵਿਚ ਮਿੱਠਾ ਪਵੇ ਤਾਂ ਬਣੇ ਸੁਆਦੁ | ਬਚਨ ਕੀਤਾ ਲੈ ਆਉ ਧਰਮਚੰਦ ਪਤਾਸੇ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦ | ਪਤਾਸੇ ਪਵਾਏ ਅਤੇ ਕਰਦ ਹਿਲਾਈ | ਨਾਉ ਧਰਿਆ ਪਾਹੁਲ | ਇਹ ਪਾਹੁ ਲਗਾਈ | ੩੧੮ |

Main outline:

* his father Dharam Chand was a treasurer in Gurus court.

* he tried to big up his father by crediting him for the Patasey.

* Karad instead of Khanda

* gives Amrit Sanchar being on 3(?) Chet 1697.

* it gives the Amrit banis as Japji Sahib and Anand Sahib.

Edited by SikhKhoj

ਸੰਮਤ ਸਤਾਰਾਂ ਸੌ ਚਉਰੰਜਾ ਗਏ | ਦਿਨ ਚੇਤ੍ਰ ਦੇ ਅਠਾਈ ਬਾਕੀ ਰਹੇ | ਦਿਨ ਤੋ ਗੁਜਰੇ ਚੌਪਾ ਸਿੰਘ ਬੁਲਾਇਆ | ਦਰਬਾਰ ਲਗਾ ਹੋਯਾ ਦੀਵਾਨ ਦੋਨੇ ਪਾਸ ਬਹਾਇਆ | ੩੧੬ |

The year 1754 Bikrami (1697 AD) passed. Twenty-eight days of the month Chet were left. When the day was falling, Chaupa Singh was called for. (The Gurus) court was being held, (and) both Diwans (ministers) were told to sit near (the Guru).

ਬਚਨ ਕੀਤਾ 'ਕਟੋਰਾ ਜਲ ਦਾ ਸੁਚੇਤ ਕਰ ਲੈ ਆਓ' | ਲੈ ਆਇਆ ਦਿਤੀ ਕਰਦ ਕਹਿਆ ਹਿਲਾਊ | ਜਪੁ ਅਤੇ ਅਨੰਦੁ ਰਸਨੀ ਕਰ ਉਚਾਰੁ | ਤਾਂ ਦੀਵਾਨ ਸਾਹਿਬਚੰਦ ਹਥ ਜੋੜਿ ਖਲੋਤਾ ਵਿਚ ਦਰਬਾਰ | ੩੧੭ |

(The Guru then said) 'Carefully bring a bow of water.' (Chaupa Singh) bhought it, (was) given a knife and the Guru told him to stir it. (The Guru) recited Japuji Sahib and Anand Sahib with his tongue. Then Diwan Sahib Chand stood with folded hands in the Court

ਕਹਿਆ ਗਰੀਬਨਿਵਾਜ 'ਵਿਚ ਮਿੱਠਾ ਪਵੇ ਤਾਂ ਬਣੇ ਸੁਆਦੁ | ਬਚਨ ਕੀਤਾ ਲੈ ਆਉ ਧਰਮਚੰਦ ਪਤਾਸੇ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦ | ਪਤਾਸੇ ਪਵਾਏ ਅਤੇ ਕਰਦ ਹਿਲਾਈ | ਨਾਉ ਧਰਿਆ ਪਾਹੁਲ | ਇਹ ਪਾਹੁ ਲਗਾਈ | ੩੧੮ |

(and) said, O Feeder of the poor, if sweet was added, then it would become delicious. (The Guru) said, 'Dharam Chand, bring Patasas. The Patasas were added (to the water) and stirred with the knife. The name (of the ceremony) was kept Pahul. ??ਇਹ ਪਾਹੁ ਲਗਾਈ??

Edited by SikhKhoj

I just read that Grewal has already written numerous chapters on this subject in his "The Khalsa: Sikh and Non-sikh perspectives" from 2004 where he examines the accounts of vaisakhi 1699 in Sainapat, Koer Singh, Chibbar Singh, Santokh Singh, Latif, Khazan Singh, Acher, Banerjee, Teja Singh and Ganda Singh (probably to show some sort of evolutio in the accounts - the further away the source is from 1699 - the more details the author knows).