What You Guys Reading These Days?

dalsingh101

1 hour ago, dalsingh101 said:

Yeah, and looks like a BFG as well. 

Do you know Anita Anand's family have a history in the Sikh aristocracy. Then they converted to christianity when the raj collapsed......lol

Didn't know that about Anand's family, although she does look an 'aristocrat' type

I think he just have a high opinion of himself, he is super-brainy from what I have read.

He's brother of 'Tom Singh'

https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/19417492.tributes-mehnga-singh-father-new-look-founder-tom-singh/

3rd July 2021

Tributes to Mehnga Singh, father of New Look founder Tom Singh

Tributes have been paid to the father of the founder of the New Look fashion chain who had an integral role in the early development of the company.

Mehnga Singh, who lived in Upwey for many years, passed away peacefully on June 20 at the age of 92, after a 'fascinating and fulfilling life’, his family said.

Although it was his son Tom who founded the company, Mr Singh helped lay the foundations and was a key player in its development. He remained closely involved in the business until the mid 1990s, focussing mainly on the transport and distribution side.

Born in India, Mr Singh sought to escape the challenges of post-independence Punjab and came to England in 1950 to seek his fortune. He had married his wife Sawarn in India and she soon followed him to England with their son Tom.

Dorset Echo:

They settled in Taunton, then Wellington – the original plan was to make some money to send home and eventually return.

Life in post-war Britain was not easy and the Singhs had the added burden of learning a new way of life and a new language.

Being something of an entrepreneur, Mr Singh made a living selling clothes door-to-door before deciding to buy a shop in Wellington in 1955. They would later buy the premises next door and combine the two shops.

A few years later Mr Singh took a gamble and started running stalls at local markets, starting at Taunton’s Saturday market - a move which paid off and gave the family financial security.

Mr and Mrs Singh opened another shop in Taunton in 1969.

Various other shops were opened by the family over the following years including a shop in St Thomas Street, Weymouth which was the first outlet to trade under the name 'New Look.

The business continued to expand, focussing initially on small market towns, prior to its ultimate expansion which would revolutionise the UK retail market and secure an international footprint.

Mr Singh lived in Dorset for many years and moved to Basingstoke two years ago to be close to family.

The couple had three other children - George, Christine and Simon, the popular science author.

A family spokesman said: "By his later years, he had grown to be a passionate gardener, harking back to his formative days growing up on the family farm in India. Indeed, his intention was always to return to India when the grandchildren were older, and it will become his final resting place when his ashes are scattered there."

The spokesman added: "Mehnga will be remembered by all for his hard work and love of life, his signature joke telling and for always enjoying a visit to the pub. His whole family will remember him with the greatest love, respect and admiration and will miss him dearly."

On 10/26/2018 at 11:56 AM, dalsingh101 said:

^^^

Getting into that book. I'd strongly recommend it for anyone whose grown up in East London. It gives a good ground level account of the area during the war and immediately after WW2. Essentially it tells me what the manor was like just before my grandad landed there. Very interesting. Kids growing up having fights on sites bombed by the Luftwaffe. 

Any idea from the book what made them homo-/bi-sexual ?

They were not of the typical demographic or 'type' that usually turns out that way.

11 hours ago, Premi said:

Any idea from the book what made them homo-/bi-sexual ?

They were not of the typical demographic or 'type' that usually turns out that way.

I wouldn't assume that. Back in the days, as well as trying p@ki-bashing, a lot of the skinheads would also do 'queer-bashing'.

Then subsequently, it turned out that a lot of these skinheads were actually gay themselves. Self hatred. There are a lot of people this way amongst the indig goray. The ones from hard working class backgrounds used to hide it and get married because they would be attacked as 'poofs'.  

A lot of young gay boys flocked around Ronnie, who would then abuse them or pimp them out, including to establishment figures.  

2 hours ago, Premi said:

A lot easier/more accepted to 'come out' nowadays even in those type of communities

Answering your original question, Ronnie was someone who didn't seem to give a f**k if anyone knew he was gay. He was a diagnosed schizophrenic and violent psychopath. Even members of his old firm talk about his paranoia and instability. He'd probably have violently attacked anyone who insulted him about it. The guy who he shot in the head in the pub (who apparently previously beat him in a fight and whose murder he went away for in the end) called him a 'fat poof' for example.   

They've had very popular, openly camp figures in their media since I was a kid, so it's no big secret about them. 

On 1/11/2022 at 10:42 PM, dalsingh101 said:

Answering your original question, Ronnie was someone who didn't seem to give a f**k if anyone knew he was gay. He was a diagnosed schizophrenic and violent psychopath. Even members of his old firm talk about his paranoia and instability. He'd probably have violently attacked anyone who insulted him about it. The guy who he shot in the head in the pub (who apparently previously beat him in a fight and whose murder he went away for in the end) called him a 'fat poof' for example.   

They've had very popular, openly camp figures in their media since I was a kid, so it's no big secret about them. 

You seen the movie 'Legend'

Do you know of Dave Courtney who is linked to that 'world', and have you seen this ?

Triads, Yardies & Onion Bhajees Featurette - Audience Reactions (2010)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triads,_Yardies_and_Onion_Bhajees

Triads, Yardies and Onion Bhajees is a 2003 British crime film[2] directed by Sarjit Bains, telling the story of a hitman working in London. The film stars real life ex-gangster and underworld don Dave Courtney. Brainchild of Manish Patel, who plays the role of Singh, the story's protagonist, Triads, Yardies and Onion Bhajees was showcased in a BBC Two documentary on the making of the film.

The film draws upon the imagery of Hindu deity Kali, traditionally invoked to vanquish evil, with the three gangs being likened to modern-day thugees. After its Cannes showcase the film was optioned by 4 Digital Media and went on UK wide release through the independent cinema network.

Plot[edit]

Triads, Yardies and Onion Bhajees is primarily an action movie but it has a mythological and spiritual vein running through it. The character of Chacha worships the Hindu Goddess Kali, and a statue of Kali is shown both in his home and in his office. Chacha is seen praying to the Goddess in a temple.

Chachas influence and teachings have also influenced members of his gang. The image of Kali can be seen in the homes of his various gang members. The smoke emanating from the incense surrounding the Kali statue in the temple is deemed to be holy, and Chacha names his crime syndicate "The Holy Smokes". The film suggests that the Goddess Kali is watching the proceedings unfold before her and ultimately will decide who lives and who dies.

Cast[edit]

• Manish Patel as Singh
  • Dave Courtney as Mad Dave
  • Jass Bassi as Chacha
  • Jonathan Reason as Greaves
  • Peter Rnic as Big Kev
  • Jamille Riverol as Tia
  • Ashvin Kumar Joshi as Jaz
  • Fran Labbe as Abz
  • Sukie Ghajminger as Rocky
  • Yasmine Maya as Trudy
  • Native as Lloyd
  • Charles Udemezue as Errol
  • Richard Angol as Rufus
  • Peter Peralta as Billy Chan
  • Alex Fung as Li Fung
  • Ines Boughanmi as Chacha's daughter

1 hour ago, Premi said:

You seen the movie 'Legend'

Do you know of Dave Courtney who is linked to that 'world', and have you seen this ?

image.jpeg.5d46cefddd858c32e8af78d0ce12f986.jpeg

Triads, Yardies & Onion Bhajees Featurette - Audience Reactions (2010)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triads,_Yardies_and_Onion_Bhajees

Triads, Yardies and Onion Bhajees is a 2003 British crime film[2] directed by Sarjit Bains, telling the story of a hitman working in London. The film stars real life ex-gangster and underworld don Dave Courtney. Brainchild of Manish Patel, who plays the role of Singh, the story's protagonist, Triads, Yardies and Onion Bhajees was showcased in a BBC Two documentary on the making of the film.

The film draws upon the imagery of Hindu deity Kali, traditionally invoked to vanquish evil, with the three gangs being likened to modern-day thugees. After its Cannes showcase the film was optioned by 4 Digital Media and went on UK wide release through the independent cinema network.

Plot[edit]

Triads, Yardies and Onion Bhajees is primarily an action movie but it has a mythological and spiritual vein running through it. The character of Chacha worships the Hindu Goddess Kali, and a statue of Kali is shown both in his home and in his office. Chacha is seen praying to the Goddess in a temple.

Chachas influence and teachings have also influenced members of his gang. The image of Kali can be seen in the homes of his various gang members. The smoke emanating from the incense surrounding the Kali statue in the temple is deemed to be holy, and Chacha names his crime syndicate "The Holy Smokes". The film suggests that the Goddess Kali is watching the proceedings unfold before her and ultimately will decide who lives and who dies.

Cast[edit]

• Manish Patel as Singh
  • Dave Courtney as Mad Dave
  • Jass Bassi as Chacha
  • Jonathan Reason as Greaves
  • Peter Rnic as Big Kev
  • Jamille Riverol as Tia
  • Ashvin Kumar Joshi as Jaz
  • Fran Labbe as Abz
  • Sukie Ghajminger as Rocky
  • Yasmine Maya as Trudy
  • Native as Lloyd
  • Charles Udemezue as Errol
  • Richard Angol as Rufus
  • Peter Peralta as Billy Chan
  • Alex Fung as Li Fung
  • Ines Boughanmi as Chacha's daughter

Not seen the Courtney one. Not my sort of thing. I think people like this are more 'celebrity gangsters' but even top ranking mob guys are doing it now. lol (like Michael Franzese and evil heavy hitmen like Sammy the Bull). 

I've seen Legend, I think it was better and more honest than the previous one with the Kemp brothers that came out years ago - at least the new one acknowledged Ronnie and his connections to gay predatory politicians. It also gave Reggie's wife a voice - poor girl.    

8 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

Not seen the Courtney one. Not my sort of thing. I think people like this are more 'celebrity gangsters' but even top ranking mob guys are doing it now. lol (like Michael Franzese and evil heavy hitmen like Sammy the Bull). 

I've seen Legend, I think it was better and more honest than the previous one with the Kemp brothers that came out years ago - at least the new one acknowledged Ronnie and his connections to gay predatory politicians. It also gave Reggie's wife a voice - poor girl.    

Courtney? She killed Kurt Cobain for sure...oh wrong courtney. 

11 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

I have had an on/off interest in the American Mafia for a few years.

Sammy Gravano was a 'hitman' to some extent, but he was a lot more than that also, with connections to lots of 'legit' businesses, and he was the Underboss to John Gotti. 

@GurjantGnosticwith these Mafia guys who historically, but much less now believing in concepts like 'omerta' and 'honor', do you think some of them would be useful to the Kaum if they had parchaar?

46 minutes ago, Premi said:

Sammy Gravano was a 'hitman' to some extent, but he was a lot more than that also, with connections to lots of 'legit' businesses, and he was the Underboss to John Gotti. 

@GurjantGnosticwith these Mafia guys who historically, but much less now believing in concepts like 'omerta' and 'honor', do you think some of them would be useful to the Kaum if they had parchaar?

I mean kind of bro, people of their ilk yeah, because actually mafia and family have a lot in common. Gang and family have a lot in common. It's not all bad, there's actually a lot more loyalty and goodness in those organizations, then say legitimate ones. In the modern day they're all full of rats and informants just like everything else, and no matter how good their constitutions and creeds are, theyre a lot of dudes doing life in prison who have a lot of love for that organization, but are here to tell you now, that it's a lie bro.

The problem we would have with incorporating people that are still actively involved in those lifestyles, is that they are loyal to those groups first and foremost above family, above anything. So they're loyalty cannot be with Sikhi. However on their periphery people like them, people that used to be them, people that could be them in the future if we don't get to them first, we can absolutely grab all those people.

And in what might be the first case ever that I can think of, this is one instance where actually race, or punjabism can benefit us, because at least criminals who used to be Sikh, or are punjabi, or had family members etc who were Sikh, we actually might be able to depend on some of their loyalty to us.  They'd be easier to convert. 

Now if we're strong enough in ourselves we could ally or collaborate with organizations like that in certain situations absolutely. But our ranks would have to remain separate. Trust would be an issue, as it would be doing business with people like that, but you know to be honest, it's not that much different than doing business with the government. 

And of all the the mafia in the world the ones that are the most formidable, the most respectable, are definitely the Yakuza. In the world of crime they are the only ones that operate the way they do.

And if the Sikh Paanth wanted to establish relationships with Yakuza families, for certain things, it really would not be a bad idea. But the Yakuza are like the devil in that whatever deal you make with them you must keep. And so one should ask them for a very little and when they do they should only ask for what they can truly deliver on and pay for.  

Aikido and the Yakuza actually have a historical and current relationship. There are certain particular formidable groups within Japan, all of which have had elements of themselves distilled into Aikido or preserved in Aikido I should say. In the same way that Aikido has elements of Yamabushi, Ninja Ryu, and Sumo, Aikido has elements of Yakuza.  Influences are actually too numerous to list however none of them were put in by mistake. 

But the way they operate in Japan is different. They really are woven into the culture they really are like a shadow or counter-government. 

But the Yakuza have stopped Japan from starving to death more than once. When the legitimate powers that be, quote unquote, would rip the nation into pieces and plunge it into famine, it was actually the Yakuza who had the mentality and minerals to hold that whole country together, and fend off as much starvation as could be. And to this day there are a number of things in business that are far easier to accomplish through the Yakuza than the Japanese establishment. 

Similar reasons we may want to have our own relationships with the criminal element within and without. 

And I think if you look at the relationship between Kali and Thuggies... And think about Dasam Granth... And consider that maybe Kalyug changes to Kali Yug. And that we have a role in that... We might have more in common with gangs in the future than most people think. When the battle for Earth's survival starts. 

Like agree or not with thuggery, the root word thug is a dharmic root. And even some Sikhs were known to be thuggin. I'm not sure we really grasp exactly what's going on there historically. 

44 minutes ago, Premi said:

Tldr. They were true to their organization but were let down, and are ready to be true to an organization that won't let them down absolutely. 

We might wind up with allying with all sorts of people but we shouldn't mix ranks. 

The Yakuza are probably the best criminals out there. 

May find ourselves with thug allies in Dharam Yudh. Literally in a way we had not considered. 

Sorry for my spelling and syntax today everybody but I'm out working doordash and it's not that busy and I'm doing a lot of text to speech or speech to text and then trying to correct it when I have time. 

I met Yakuza on a few occasions socially when in Japan. As long as you are very respectful, which should be easy around someone who's worthy of your respect, you'll really have no trouble socially. You are in fact in excellent hands. But I have never done business with the Yakuza and that is different. 

Another layer of protection was afforded me however once they learned that I was a Doka, and of who. Like I said we do have relationships. 

38 minutes ago, GurjantGnostic said:

I met Yakuza on a few occasions socially when in Japan. As long as you are very respectful, which should be easy around someone who's worthy of your respect, you'll really have no trouble socially. You are in fact in excellent hands. But I have never done business with the Yakuza and that is different. 

Another layer of protection was afforded me however once they learned that I was a Doka, and of who. Like I said we do have relationships. 

Which countries have you visited ?

I've only been to a few - India, USA, Italy, Spain, Greece, Morocco, Cyprus