What Matters In Spirituality - Your Effort Or Grace?

We should get into the habit with both actions and thought processes that "HE is the DOER"

ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੈ ਸਿਮਰਨਿ ਬਿਨਸੈ ਦੂਜਾ ॥

Parabẖ kai simran binsai ḏūjā.

Brother Lucky Jee,

verily true your quotation above.

But let us ask ourselves, who does His Simran?

Because simran everyone does, of one type or the other. Big big rishis, munis, tapasvees of the heights of Ravan for example, did the simran of mantras related to the deities of higher planes.

These higher planes, like devlok, Swarg, Baikunth, relams of Brahma, Shiva, etc .... can be achieved by one´s karmas or efforts, however hard they maybe....

But, to start with, even His Simran, can only be performed by us, with His grace alone, if He so wishes.

That is His Mauj. Nobody can copy it, demand it, or negotiate it.

That is why the Bani very clearly says: Se simreh, jisnoo Aap simrae.

Then, as per this His grace, once He makes us meditate on Him, then everything falls at its own place.... then only the mind gets tuned into His Simran, and all the good qualities like: sense of discrimination, humility, forbearnce, gratefulness, contentment, truthfulness, come up like cream on the milk.

When He wants you back, He just arranges everything for that jeeva, that soul.

The pull from within for Him, is that, He is pulling our rope towards Him, and we may feel we are moving towards Him.

But the fact is, without His pull we would not even think about Him.

And this pull at all steps of the devotee, is nothing but His unbounded grace .....

Haven´t we ever heard: Deena bandhu deena Nath, meree doree Tere haath.

Dhan Dhan Satguru Nanak Dev Maharaj, tells us in Japji Sahib something very beautiful on this topic:

Karmee aavae kapra, nadree mokh duaar.

He says; by your good actions, karmas, you may get health, wealth, possesions, you may become even the ruler of the three worlds.

But, to get emancipation from the cycle of births and deaths, and acceptance at His court´s door, is only possible with His grace, which follows realization of His Omnipresence and Omnipotence.

Dhan Dhan Guru Ram Das Maharaj tells us in Raag Kalyan, that, when Wahiguru gracefully writes on our forehead, to do His Bhakti, then only due to this His Hukum, our life walks on the path chalked already by Him.

ਸੋ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ਹਰਿ ਜਨੁ ਜਿਸੁ ਬਡਭਾਗ ਮਥਈ

So Har Har Naam Dhhiaavai Har Jan Jis Baddabhaag Mathhee

सो हरि हरि नामु धिआवै हरि जनु जिसु बडभाग मथई

That humble servant of the Lord who has such good fortune written on his forehead meditates on the Name of the Lord, Har, Har

He has already supplied with all that we may need to walk in His direction, not only that, but He actually walks with us, holding our hand and make us walk with Him, otherwise we are so stupid, that we may get lost in the inmensity of His creation.

So then, what is our role in this divine play?

Our whole job is nothing as our own merits, but just being receptive to His grace, which is the driving force in all our interaction with Him.

Sat Sree Akal.

Edited by harsharan000

Following are some beautiful words of beloved Fifth Patshahee in Raag Sorath, which throw some more light on the topic of this thread :

Satgur pura bhaana
when it so pleased the True Guru

Ta japiya Nam ramana
then I repeated the pervading God´s Name.

Further on He clearly says, that one can merge in Him, if only He catches us by our hand.

kar geh leenay sarbas deenay aapeh aap milaa-i-aa.

Taking me by the hand, He has given me everything, and blended me with Himself.

So the question is, if He does everything, what is there to be proud of ourselves?

Nothing, but we can only baram baar sing His unlimited magnificent glory ....

Sat Sree Akal.

Edited by harsharan000

• 3 weeks later...

What is most important? i would Say Love...

the yearning that develops within...a sign of our love towards Him...or is it His love activating our heart and thus all His doing? :)

without love how can one wake up in the early hours to contemplate Him? when it is so much easier just to lay in a cosy bed and enjoy your sleep.

who makes all this happen? even the effort...is it all Him...when the time is right for us to awaken to the Truth is it Him that makes it all happen :)

ਕਰਉ ਜਤਨ ਜੇ ਹੋਇ ਮਿਹਰਵਾਨਾ ॥

Karo Jathan Jae Hoe Miharavaanaa ||

करउ जतन जे होइ मिहरवाना ॥

I can only make the effort, if the Lord is merciful to me.

24829 ਵਡਹੰਸ (ਮ: ੫) ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੫੬੨ ਪੰ. ੧੨

Raag Vadhans Guru Arjan Dev