Sikh Rehat Maryada

paapiman

If I recall in Puratan Times even DDT women wore Distars why? Why such a 360 degrees turn around from the 80's. Other thing out here in the west there was no such thing as DDT and AKJ prior to 1984. Everyone was equal and nicely united. Why did DDT spread so much hate against AKJ after 1984. In the late 70's we all used to go to someplace in BC as a sangat to a Ransbai Kirtan. 1984 came the love became hate thanks to the DDT popularity. I sometimes think who are the true RSS in Canada especially in BC. I know someone who was a black cat and has opened up his own shopping mall called a Gurdwara.

my question to you is if you take Amrit from 5 men would it be invalid? Would you think of it as Amrit?

(Satkirin/Work cant log on - cookies issue or something)

Going back to this, I was really very leery to take Amrit from 5 males... thinking that they were looking down their nose at me and seeing me as somehow inferior to them as a human because I was female.  I was very wrong... as I was basing my perceptions on the viewpoints of a few forums online and not real life.  In reality, I did take Amrit from 5 males... but it was even better than if I had taken it from 5 females and do you know why??
During the Amrit Sanchar (which had some 50 people wanting to be initiated) those 5 reiterated to the females (and males) present that day that women and men are spiritually equals, our souls are genderless and despite what minor physical differences we posses during this lifetime (which do not matter), ALL humans have the SAME rights and privileges in Sikhi. They specifically stated that seva of Panj Pyaras can be either male or female.  By the way you can't compare male/female to the issue of being disabled.  The reason for disabled is simply the ability to perform the physical duties required. So a dasibility in this sense are only things that would affect the ability to do the seva directly. And either males or females can be disabled, same as males and females can be fully fit and healthy. Being a woman does not make you disabled...

Then it got even better.... standing on the side where majority of the females were (there was some intermingling but mostly all the women kept to one side... I didn't I was in the middle standing beside my Husband)  Anyway the 5 walked to the side where majority of females were standing and made a direct challenge to all the females present that day... one of them said directly "We want to see some of you (women) present today reach this level and also participate in amrit sanchars acting as Panj Pyaras" It was a direct challenge... and it meant SOOOOOOO much coming from Singhs!!!!!!!!! The result, I had so much more respect for these 5 Singhs simply because they did not think of us as lower, subordinate, submissive, subservient, 'homely', domestic, simple and incapable... labels some of you have used on here.  They thought of us as equals... having equal chance to progress spiritually and equal chance to serve the panth and do seva.  Hint to Singhs who want true respect... give respect to women as equals and you will be respected truly.  Treat women like your servants and subordinates, and you might be feared, but never actually respected.  These 5 Singhs earned my respect that day x 1000 because they not only recognized but openly declared that women and men have equal rights in Sikhi. 

This was at a historical Gurdwara too in India!  Chatti Patshahi in Srinagar, Kashmir on 13th Sept 2015. 

p.s. They also said SRM is the ONLY accepted Rehet Maryada by Akal Takht, and warned of sects. 

Satkiran penji,

You also have this indirect wrong perception based on notions from internet that panj pyares of taksal are sexist, I urge you to take a video recording device to taksal panj pyares and interview them so that you can clear your doubts. Even Singh123456777 tried correcting you in the past regarding taksal. Hows taksal sexist when they spoke against kirpan da amrit - totally segregated amrit just for women practiced in hazoor sahib?

Satkiran penji,

You also have this indirect wrong perception based on notions from internet that panj pyares of taksal are sexist, I urge you to take a video recording device to taksal panj pyares and interview them so that you can clear your doubts. Even Singh123456777 tried correcting you in the past regarding taksal. Hows taksal sexist when they spoke against kirpan da amrit - totally segregated amrit just for women practiced in hazoor sahib?

I was basing it not off Singhs themselves but their actual Rehet Maryada... so I am assuming they follow their own rehet maryada....

1. The argument from DDT supporters for not allowing women to be in Panj Pyaras, is because the DDT GRM states 'five Singhs'. However, the same document also says 'Singh' when referring to Granthi, Ragis, Akhand Paath seva, even preparing karah prashed it says 'the Singh preparing karah prashad"  etc too.  So according to GRM women are disallowed from all these seva? And if not, then how can the argument be that GRM says 'five Singhs' used for Panj Pyaras but then ignore that the GRM says Granthi 'Singh', Ragi 'Singhs' etc. as well? So based on this well used argument, women are not allowed most seva by DDT?  Or are people are misusing the terminology? Why say 'Singh' for everything??  Outside of the use of the word 'Singh' it doesn't specifically say that specific gender is a requirement for any seva (Panj Pyaras included), so they either have to use this reasoning on all seva or none.

2. Gurmat Rehet Maryada instructs women to see their husband as God, but only instructs the husband to see the wife as a follower.  This directly (right from anand karaj) puts women "in their place" in an inferior position as only a follower. Just ask Paapiman...how the husband deserves higher 'status' than the wife. Though the Gurbani tuk used is taken out of context to justify this view, husband worship as a diety, is straight from laws of manu.   

3. They enforce and believe in concept of sootak... (just look at the Hari Singh Rhandawa controversy in Surrey) that women are impure during menstruation. It has been explained ot me by a Taksali Singh that the reason women are not allowed to be Granthi or do Akhand Paaths etc by DDT is that they could start 'bleeding at any time" and hence become impure and 'desicrate' (yes that was the word he used) Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

With the above, how can they be seen in any way to support equality?

I think the seeing the husband as a "demi god" comes from the expression "pati - parmeshwar". However, no where will you see "patni - parmeshwari ".

Exactly... so why would any Sikh jatha tell women to see their husband as a god while not also telling the husband to see his wife as a God?  Is that not making the statement right there that DDT consider the husband to be above / higher status than the wife?  And this thinking is against Gurbani... (except through taking one tuk out of context and thereby ignoring all the shabads that say all humans are equal - causing a contradiction in Gurbani ...which can never happen).  So what is DDTs reason behind this??

Satkiran penji,

My grandmother and my brother in laws cousin took Amrit at Sri hazur sahib. Not Kirpan Amrit but khanda Amrit. 

My grandmother and my brother in laws cousin took Amrit at Sri hazur sahib. Not Kirpan Amrit but khanda Amrit. 

I have heard that Hazur Sahib did used to do this though... but maybe they stopped at some point?  Honestly I never even heard about this idea until I read a users ost on here (SAvinderpal Singh I think?) awhile back.  I never knew there was anywhere that used to refuse true amrit to women...

• 5 weeks later...

Wow I like this Sant Ji!  

"The Difference between men and women is not warranted by Sikh Religion"

The statement was made reference to taking Amrit, but the statement itself is all encompassing.  He did not say the difference is not warranted for Amrit (and he very well could have given that's what the subject matter was)... but instead he said, the difference is not warranted in Sikh Religion!!

Thanks for this find Paapiman! 

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

8 hours ago, N30 S!NGH said:

Wow, i am delighted to know you two fighting cookies finally agree on something...lol..awesome..kuddos guys, keep it up, i sense friendship in the air. 

Bhaa ji it is just the way of saying things and the way to interpret that matters ...i use to get pissed off with her posts too..but we all should then understand the reasons too..it is no easy to be a Sikh ...she has travelled long and is taking pains to learn things ..we all disagree and agree on a lot of things and that the same case with her ..

• 7 years later...