Understanding GURMUKHI, the language DIVINE...

Being a beginner, when it comes to understanding Gurmukhi language... the language of our Gurus... I would be regularly putting up some questions relating to Gurbani language, so kindly bear with me...

Meaning of following terms frequently used in Gurbani.

- Mahla

- Ghar

Guest Javanmard

wanna learn the language:

Cristopher Shackle's book is really good. The title is : An Introduction to the Sacred Language of the Sikhs. Best book in English on the subject for a recognised scholar of Panjabi and Sikhism.

all shabads are written reffering to the name of guru nanak dev ji because all 10 gurus were the same spirit of pehle paatshah.. mahala represents the physical body of who wrote the shabad... so where u see mahala 1... its written by pehle paatshah guru nanak dev ji.. where u see mahala 5 its written by guru arjun sahib ji... the mahalas range are 1 to 5 and 9

gurbani is written in its own metric form, this metric is the taal/beat when its sung in the form of keertan.. theres 17 ghars and each ghar indicates the beat which its played in

raag is the music which complements the feeling which the shabad is expressing

have a look at this also to shed more light onto raags and ghars :D

http://www.sikhreview.org/may2002/music.htm

Steel Bangle : raag is the music which complements the feeling which the shabad is expressing

have a look at this also to shed more light onto raags and ghars

http://www.sikhreview.org/may2002/music.htm

Thats was a neat explanation !!!

Thanx :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Japji Sahib Ji Sayz...

Amrit waela sach nao, vadiayee vichar ||

Karmi Avae Kapda, Nadri Mokh Duar ||

Nanak aevae janiyae, Sabb Appae Sachiar|| 4 ||

What is Amrit Vaela according to Gurbani ? Please also discuss this Shabad in details.

Guest Punjabi Nationalist

Being a beginner, when it comes to understanding Gurmukhi language... the language of our Gurus... I would be regularly putting up some questions relating to Gurbani language, so kindly bear with me...

Meaning of following terms frequently used in Gurbani.

- Mahla

- Ghar

For someone your age and who even lives in Punjab i find it pathetic that you refer to Gurmukhi as a "language" (No offence).

Gurmukhi is NOT a language. Gurmukhi is the name of a SCRIPT which is used to write PUNJABI. You know, Gurmukhi isnt just used to write Punjabi but is also used by the Sindhi Hindus to write Sindhi.

I believe most (maybe all) Guru's were fluent in Punjabi, Persian, among some other languages.

Gurmukhi was developed from a previous script called Lahnda by Guru Angad Dev Ji. Guru Ji basically modified the Lahnda by adding to it and giving the written form a style which resembles other Sanskrit derived scripts (ie having a line put on the top of the letters).

Anyone who calls Gurmukhi a "language" is a total fool and is hurting the larger cause of preserving and developing the Punjabi language, on both sides of Punjab.

If there are certain words in Sri Guru Granth Sahib that you dont understand it is most likely because those words are not Punjabi but are Sanskrit, Braj, Persian, Arabic even...

For someone your age and who even lives in Punjab i find it pathetic that you refer to Gurmukhi as a "language" (No offence).

Gurmukhi is NOT a language. Gurmukhi is the name of a SCRIPT which is used to write PUNJABI. You know, Gurmukhi isnt just used to write Punjabi but is also used by the Sindhi Hindus to write Sindhi.

I believe most (maybe all) Guru's were fluent in Punjabi, Persian, among some other languages.

Gurmukhi was developed from a previous script called Lahnda by Guru Angad Dev Ji. Guru Ji basically modified the Lahnda by adding to it and giving the written form a style which resembles other Sanskrit derived scripts (ie having a line put on the top of the letters).

Anyone who calls Gurmukhi a "language" is a total fool and is hurting the larger cause of preserving and developing the Punjabi language, on both sides of Punjab.

If there are certain words in Sri Guru Granth Sahib that you dont understand it is most likely because those words are not Punjabi but are Sanskrit, Braj, Persian, Arabic even...

Did I claim anywhere that I am a Gyani... I am the biggest Fool around... but then so are you... coz the day we become a Gyani, we wont be here on these discussion forums, condemning/degrading each other by our petty knowledge... :)

Gurmukhi, is the words spoken by the mouth of the Gurus... the words may be in Punjabi, Persian, Farsi, Sanskri still make it a Gurmukhi... A language is a simple mediun of communication... nothing more...

Regardz