There should be one year spiritual meditation/contemplation of Gur shabad, before one can take amrit.

SAadmin

I know there are valid interpretations out there of amrit being school, taking amrit is just a admission to the school first take admission -amrit and start journey. But other interpretation of being readiness is just as valid as panj pyares were already all ready, full empty space was already created in them beyond five senses so that amrit/naam can penetrate deeply. So with that kept mind-

We should also explore an option of having a one year spiritual meditation/abhyaas along with seva, sadh sangat/have strong inner bibek- before one can take amrit. I will explain my reasoning why.

Sanaskar amrit is a big physical transformation if caution is not paid towards physical transformation inter connected with inner transformation, physical transformation becomes an subtle ego trap as one has gone from one certain look into another chivalrous respected unique look but still attached to body-five elemental body, five senses.

I am looking at some of pictures on facebook, before and after pictures how after picture made it into gurmukh..only if life/sikhi was that easy. I am thinking how exactly are they different or free when it comes to attachment to five elemental body.

Our parcharikhs keep harping around same lines (as it sells), failing to provide any sikhi depth, their main target is to get people take amrit and thats it..its like student coordinators their main job is to get as many students in the program and thats it and rest is not their headache. In real schools, they have teacher/professors to help out with real studies-text and in sikhi we meant to have active sants in form of panj pyares to help us out but current times are really bad, you will know its so bad when singhs who do panj pyares di seva are taking more symbolic role in the panth rather than fluid/lucid active panj pyares of khalsa panth.

So where are we heading really? Yes, more singhs/singhanis will take amrit bring about physical transformation which is great news but is that it? physical transformation without inner changes is like can of worms/many faces of ego/subtle/evident ones just waiting to sneak up on one still trapping one to five elemental body and five senses, even promise of sachkhand express directly by following few basic rules of body, hell even once and while wacked out spiritual experience, blissed out..!!

But is that it?  where are great tales of devotion, bhagti, and gyan of previous sants in young generation of today?

^ that is such a great observation. All the great beings did not care about physical appearance at all before , especially if their hair were open or tied, if they were wearing a gatra or not, if they were wearing a dastar or not . But after their enlightenment , their appearance changed dramatically, wearing cholas & nice dastars.

sir pairan di khabar na koyi vich muhabbat tere.... 

This tells us very important point of rehni behni compare in contrast of puratan sikh sants who went through journey of bairaag towards self realization and young or sikhs of today who just finds solace in just following few easy rules limited to body...theres gotta be more to sikhi than outer limited to body. I mean just simply glance through gurbani where shabad, gur shabad, surat/ chit-consciouness, naam, dhun, samadhi, bairaag, pyaar-love. satguru- physical/meta physical- inner pure awareness remains the main focus.

One year is a very long time; we even don't know, if our next breath is going to come out or not.

Request to Sangat - Never ever discourage a person from taking amrit (even if you think, he might not be eligible for it), if he has made up his mind. There is a possibility that his mind might change later or he might even die, before a year ends. Do you want to be guilty of such a crime? What will you say (after death), when Satguru jee questions you - why did you cause the delay?  

When one takes amrit, Satguru jee does guide that person. Being born in a Sikh family, is a clear indication that the body is ready for Khanday da amrit. 

If you find a person, even slightly interested in taking amrit, use all your energy and knowledge to encourage him to take amrit. Pray to Satguru jee to give you the necessary strength needed.

Having said the above, if a Saint or Panj Pyaray themselves, tell a person to wait and prepare for it, then that instruction must be followed. Also, if a person is in a dilemma, then he should seek opinion of Saints or Panj Pyaray. Avoid asking ordinary people, including Amritdharis.

Bhul chuk maaf

^^^ This 100%

When a person takes Amrit the person has taken the first step towards the guru. The guru will take a 1000 steps towards the sikh. A person progresses as fast as the guru wants. The number one hukam from maharaj Ji is to take Amrit. So that is the first step.

^^^ This 100%

When a person takes Amrit the person has taken the first step towards the guru. The guru will take a 1000 steps towards the sikh. A person progresses as fast as the guru wants. The number one hukam from maharaj Ji is to take Amrit. So that is the first step.

There is a tuk in Bhai Gurdaas jee's Vaaran which states - something like this - If a Sikh takes one step towards the Guru, the Guru takes many steps to receive him. That one step is very critical.

If someone can post that tuk, that would be great.

Bhul chuk maaf

if Baba Attar Singh Ji Gursagar Mastuana, and Baba Ishar Singh had followed wait and get ready approach, then they would never had administered Amrit to unparalleled number of individuals in recent Sikh history.

i believe we get into the intellectually analytical mode when we see unwanted things around us and get influenced,  propose our solutions based on our limited perception and understanding. however, what Mahapurakhs see is past, present, and future of all who takes Amrit, and effect of initiation not for their current life but next lives and they intend planting seeds which will continue to sprout until the end of Kalyug and even beyond. 

Having said the above, if a Saint or Panj Pyaray themselves, tell a person to wait and prepare for it, then that instruction must be followed. Also, if a person is in a dilemma, then he should seek opinion of Saints or Panj Pyaray. Avoid asking ordinary people, including Amritdharis.

The reason i mentioned waiting approach is not because it was invented through thin air as it used to happen in the past - sant isher singh ji rara sahib jatha used to sit down with students if they are ready or not for amrit and based on individual base cases some were given amrit right away based on readiness and some were given amrit after 1 year of strong abhyas of mool mantar and other jatha such as bhai fauja singh akj used to also test students before amrit were given.

Either way i don't think precedence should be set, it should be decided by panj pyares or sants in form of panj pyares on individual case basis. Now days its seems like no probing questions asked, take amrit. We made initiation into khanda da amrit into some sort of joke or competition or trend/ direct guarantee given sachkhand express card/ initiation in prestige club/status chivalry symbol.If we want to look at it from original/puratan point of view Amrit is given based on sacrifice of student - body, mind and soul as per original panj pyares sacrificed so much to get amrit, they were not judged by mere outer external merit of 5 k's readiness. Cycle of initiation into khanda batta amrit used to be (inner cost truest feeling/desire-soul ) --> mind --> body not body (5 ks) only and student mere desire of conditioned mind for psychological reasons only..

Sant Gyani Mehar Singh who has been a big inspiration to me has told his students the same as sant Ishar Singh. I can't say whether Sant Baba Jwala Singh ji did the same but my family and others associated with them all used to say that for one year abyaas was important. 

I agree with Paji especially about the sacrifice of the mind, body, soul etc. not everyone is the same, but sometimes jumping head first leads to a lot problems later.  Amrit is pavittar and has a lot of shakti. Unfortunately often there is no abhyaas before Amrit and none after either

The reason i mentioned waiting approach is not because it was invented through thin air as it used to happen in the past - sant isher singh ji rara sahib jatha used to sit down with students if they are ready or not for amrit and based on individual base cases some were given amrit right away based on readiness and some were given amrit after 1 year of strong abhyas of mool mantar and other jatha such as bhai fauja singh akj used to also test students before amrit were given.

Either way i don't think precedence should be set, it should be decided by panj pyares or sants in form of panj pyares on individual case basis. Now days its seems like no probing questions asked, take amrit. We made initiation into khanda da amrit into some sort of joke or competition or trend/ direct guarantee given sachkhand express card/ initiation in prestige club/status chivalry symbol.If we want to look at it from original/puratan point of view Amrit is given based on sacrifice of student - body, mind and soul as per original panj pyares sacrificed so much to get amrit, they were not judged by mere outer external merit of 5 k's readiness. Cycle of initiation into khanda batta amrit used to be (inner cost truest feeling/desire-soul ) --> mind --> body not body (5 ks) only and student mere desire of conditioned mind for psychological reasons only..

Sant Gyani Mehar Singh who has been a big inspiration to me has told his students the same as sant Ishar Singh. I can't say whether Sant Baba Jwala Singh ji did the same but my family and others associated with them all used to say that for one year abyaas was important. 

I agree with Paji especially about the sacrifice of the mind, body, soul etc. not everyone is the same, but sometimes jumping head first leads to a lot problems later.  Amrit is pavittar and has a lot of shakti. Unfortunately often there is no abhyaas before Amrit and none after either

Brothers, even Baba Nand Singh jee used to make people wait before Baptism. We have to remember that Saints have the knowledge, regarding the timing of death, of the Abilaakhee (person who desires to get initiated). In today's times, how many Panj Pyaray do you think have that knowledge? 

On the other hand, there have been Brahamgyanis in the panth, who did not put such prerequisites and baptized hundreds of thousands of people.

Examples:

Srimaan Sant Baba Raam Singh jee Naamdhari

Srimaan Sant Baba Attar Singh jee Mastuanaywale

Srimaan Sant Baba Ishar Singh jee Nanaksar

Therefore, different approaches have been followed by different Brahamgyanis. We need to respect, both of these approaches

Coming to the point of sacrificing mind, body and soul - How many people do you think, can actually do that? Most likely, very very few. Also, do you think that all those people (hundreds of thousands) who did not offer their head on that day in 1699, were not given Amrit or forgiven, by Satguru jee? The original Panj Pyaray were Brahamgyanis and it is extremely difficult in today's times to find 5 Singhs, similar to them.

In today's times, the more tougher restrictions we put on Abilaakhees, there is a possibility that their numbers will decrease. Already, our numbers are very low. The need of the time, is to Baptize maximum people. Let Satguru jee and Saints take care of the rest. We need to prove people that being an Amritdhari, is not a huge task. The biggest requirement is to stay away from the 4 cardinal sins. 

Bhul chuk maaf

Edited by paapiman

We should also explore an option of having a one year spiritual meditation/abhyaas along with seva, sadh sangat/have strong inner bibek- before one can take amrit. I will explain my reasoning why.

Sanaskar amrit is a big physical transformation if caution is not paid towards physical transformation inter connected with inner transformation, physical transformation becomes an subtle ego trap as one has gone from one certain look into another chivalrous respected unique look but still attached to body-five elemental body, five senses.

Bro, the above points are really good, but in my humble opinion, they apply more to people who want to become preachers or join jathas (groups) in Sikhism. It is good idea for a Abilaakhee too, but the main factor to consider is death, which can strike anytime.

Bhul chuk maaf