Respect for SGPC maryada

chatanga1

Sikhi should not be constrained to only those who can speak one language. I'd like to think the spiritual concepts can reach the whole world not just Punjabis.

I know about 20 words total in Punjabi. There are concepts and slangs I will never understand simply because English does not have them. No matter how many times I load an iPhone app lean what saap means it won't help me.  Sure I can point at a snake (I think) and say saap but I can't say that is a snake... Or look at the snake etc. Get my point? And does it really matter?  Do I need to know how to say this is a snake in Punjabi to know  that God is in ALL?? If being fluent in Punjabi is requisite then I don't think I will ever satisfy your requirements.  

For me seeing God in all is enough... And living that and treating everyone as same light is enough for me.

nobody can bring bad out in someone if so then that is negative aspect of you not them... So pls work on that or you will be miserable in life.  

Cheers... 

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

Sikhi should not be constrained to only those who can speak one language. I'd like to think the spiritual concepts can reach the whole world not just Punjabis.

To understand Gurbani, you need to have a good knowledge of indic languages, but to understand katha a good understanding of Panjabi is essential. Otherwise you will just skim the knowledge that you could be getting.

Sikhi is not constrained to one language but undertanding the scriptures in their root language is essential if you wish to get the knowledge of deeper understanding.

Sure I can point at a snake (I think) and say saap but I can't say that is a snake... Or look at the snake etc. Get my point?

yes you can. you are just being a lazy person, who looks for excuses not to make the effort.

Do I need to know how to say this is a snake in Punjabi to know  that God is in ALL??

No but if that realisation is all what Sikhi is to you then fair enough. if you want to know more about Gurbani then you will have to make the effort or stay ignorant. its your choice.

If being fluent in Punjabi is requisite then I don't think I will ever satisfy your requirements. 

Why would you need to satisfy me? It wasn't me that made a fool of themselves over and over.

For me seeing God in all is enough... And living that and treating everyone as same light is enough for me.

It's up to you , what targets you set for yourself.

nobody can bring bad out in someone if so then that is negative aspect of you not them... So pls work on that or you will be miserable in life.  

Cheers... 

Didn't you use the word "pri**" in another topic? Are you suggesting to the forum that this is normal vocab for you? If it is, then maybe you need to work on that.  As well as working on your Panjabi skills.

Wow guys, what she is advocating is not against Sikhism at all. To see everyone equally despite differences, is this not what the purpose of Amrit was? To put everyone on the same level and rid the Khalsa of petty differences used as excuses to limit some people? Correct me if I am wrong but gender was included in this.  What I can see is that what she wants to see is not asking for your manhood in a jar!  She wants Singhs to respect Singhnis on the same level as them (meaning not be seen as somehow lesser), and to have the same opportunities to do seva.  Why is this so difficult for some of you to even fathom accepting? It's not like having a Singhni do seva equally alongside of you is somehow harming you at all. There is no restriction in gurbani placed on souls born into a female body. All these nonsense restrictions are purely cultural and will be our demise.  Nobody wants to be made to feel lower than someone else.  Everyone wants to be included and have the same opportunities.  If you have an older brother, think how it felt growing up being made to feel second best all the time.  And not by your Mother.  Who do all young boys most want to be accepted by as an equal?  Their older brother.  In reality the younger brother is not lesser and boys all grow up.  The difference is, you are advocating seeing girls being second their whole lives.  And is it their fault they were born into a female body? We should be encouraging our sisters, our daughters. Not making them feel like they deserve less than us.  

For the record, I agree with her on the marriage issue that in Sikhism, the wife is not seen in a lesser position to the husband and I am a married male.  Husband and wife have equal authority.  I would never expect my wife to blindy obey me, and I always help in domestic chores. My wife is anything but submissive, and I cherish her for that because she actually has passion and drive to accomplish things in this rare human form we have obtained.  Many wives choose to be submissive or are brought up to be submissive because of are Punjab roots (and if they are happy with that, its fine but should not be forced) but it is not actually a part of Sikhism.  I recognize the difference between culture and faith.

And I agree that women should be able to do all seva including Panj Pyaras. There is no reason they can't. Our goal is to escape duality, and in reality we are genderless.  So to put restrictions on some and say you can't do this because you are a woman, means you cant see beyond dualistic thinking yet. In actuality all of us are Akal Purakh in Sargun form as separate entities.  Our task is to realize our existence as Akal Purakh in Nirgun form.  How can you do that when you seem so stuck on male vs female? Let it go Chatanga. She is closer to this reality than are you, and she is actually following what our Gurus have taught regarding humanity, and I think it scares you because you are still stuck on trying to fabricate reasons why male is better or deserves more than female.  You have to learn to let it go.

She has done a lot to inspire others by actually living what our Gurus taught about equality, what they taught about the divine within us all.  She was in news across the world, and paved the way for young Sikh girls to tie distar in the military. She did this, standing out and at risk of ridicule by not only everyone she knew in the military but also desire what we born into Sikhism might think.  What have you done? Don't you think that took a bit of bravery? She deserves more respect than being called the names you have used, which make me embarassed to be from same culture as you.

And for the record, many born into Sikh families in the west can not speak fluent Punjabi either.  Should we all just up and leave Sikhism? Is that what you want?  

Oh and I also follow the Sikh Rehet Maryada so feel free to call me names too.  It won't matter to me. 

• 8 months later...
Guest guest
On 10 October 2015 at 8:23 PM, paapiman said:

Bro, the human body desired by devi/devtay is that of a male human, not a female or a transgender.

Bhul chuk maaf

bullshit

In Devi scriptures, woman are said to be the representation of the devi, and when Hindus do devi puja, they worship young girls are images of the devi, not young boys (this is called Kumari Puja).

Guest guest
On 10 October 2015 at 9:44 PM, paapiman said:

You might already be aware that a female body is considered as a downgrade to a male body in Gurbani.

• One tuk states that a man, who worships Maya, becomes a woman in his next birth.
  • Another tuk states that a person who thinks about women towards the end of his life, becomes a prostitute (female body) in his next birth.

Bhul chuk maaf

maybe considered by your 'katha vachaks',  not by Gurbani.

the tuks you are refering to, the first refers to MahaMaya (the goddess) not maya as in wealth etc, the second is referring to a man having lustful thoughts for women, i do not think that either of those saloks imply what you are claiming

On 7/8/2016 at 6:37 PM, Guest guest said:

the tuks you are refering to, the first refers to MahaMaya (the goddess) not maya as in wealth etc, the second is referring to a man having lustful thoughts for women, i do not think that either of those saloks imply what you are claiming

When did Daas say that Maya is referring to wealth in that tuk? You are right. It is referring to worshiping of Goddesses. You are right for the second point too. Daas did not explain it in details. Thinking about women at the end referred to having lustful thoughts about women. Thanks for expanding the point.

One needs to read the whole shabad and analyze the context, before understanding its implications. The shabad lists different punishments received by a person for his various acts.

Anyways, this is off-topic. Gurparsaad, will make a new topic on it.

Bhul chuk maaf