Indian Middle Class Sikhs

Guest Javanmard

Guest Javanmard

First of all, I am writing this because this has come recently in my life: the divide between us here in the UK, Canada and US and the Indian Middle Class Sikhs in India. I have had very bad experiences with families who did not even know the names of the ten Gurus and who looked at us diaspora Sikhs with our thirst for Sikhi as if we were total idiots. This guy came up to me the other day claiming he was Sikh (head totally shaven). I thought ok fine! He showed me a picture of himself with pagri and dari. I asked him where he came from: Amritsar, ju have been to Golden Tempel?

Of course :roll: , I said. I asked him: Why did you cut your hair:

Oh I did not do it out of medical reasons, it's just that it's not "modren". Ju know you have to change you know!

(already I want to vomit :shock: :evil: It's so difficult for us here to keep roop and he has the guts to tell me that)

he says: I don't want to indulge (the verb to indulge means that you normally indulge in bad things) in religion. I just want to make money!

I thought: You can have both you :evil: :evil: :evil:

That'sonly one of my experiences.

Have you had similar ones?

people who cut their hair, because they don't think Sikhi has anything to do with Physical image, that it's all spiritual....

people who think sikhi came from hinduism, because they have hindu friends the don't want to offend...

good people.... warped up belief, that's all

i dunno its a bit of a balance... in the pinds not many people go to the gurdwara.... at amrit vela the granthi starts the nitnem and people say "ehmy swere swere eh raula paun lag penda" :x :x fools...

but if u go to the shahers such as delhi u will see that all the gurdwarey are soooo rammed out by sangat... most of this lot are well off and upper class

my cousins who are filthy rich have nothing good at all to say about sikhi n are always talkin bad about stuff... or love to crack jokes -.... dunno whether its a coincidence or watever.... the guys wife has got cancer and will die very soon... and this is where no matter how much money they have will she get better......

another one are some cousins of cousins from canada.... and they are also filthy rich... and they said "oh we dont believe in any of this 'paat poot' "( :evil: ) and the person who went to their house was a gurmukh and they asked em.... "you have all this money and you never thank waheguru once that you are so much better off then allot of people.... what will you do the day when you do need wahegurus help".... and the person said.... "oh we will pick up the geeta" :x :x

makes me sick

they not my cousins :P some far off random people :wink:

i wud have slapped em up if i knew em :D

it would have made that beatin that narinder grewal got look like a pillow fight :twisted: :twisted:

Steel Bangle,

Show your cousin message of Guru Granth Sahib.

This Shabad is by Bhagat Naam Dev Ji in Raag Gond on Pannaa 874

go(n)add ||

bhairo bhooth seethalaa dhhaavai ||

khar baahan ouhu shhaar ouddaavai ||1||

ho tho eaek rameeaa laiho ||

aan dhaev badhalaavan dhaiho ||1|| rehaao ||

siv siv karathae jo nar dhhiaavai ||

baradh chadtae ddouroo dtamakaavai ||2||

mehaa maaee kee poojaa karai ||

nar sai naar hoe aoutharai ||3||

thoo keheeath hee aadh bhavaanee ||

mukath kee bareeaa kehaa shhapaanee ||4||

guramath raam naam gahu meethaa ||

pranavai naamaa eio kehai geethaa ||5||2||6||

Gond:

One who chases after the god Bhairau, evil spirits and the goddess of smallpox,

is riding on a donkey, kicking up the dust. ||1||

I take only the Name of the One Lord.

I have given away all other gods in exchange for Him. ||1||Pause||

That man who chants ""Shiva, Shiva"", and meditates on him,

is riding on a bull, shaking a tambourine. ||2||

One who worships the Great Goddess Maya

will be reincarnated as a woman, and not a man. ||3||

You are called the Primal Goddess.

At the time of liberation, where will you hide then? ||4||

Follow the Guru's Teachings, and hold tight to the Lord's Name, O friend.

Thus prays Naam Dayv, and so says the Gita as well. ||5||2||6||

My experiences everywhere have been totally different abot sikhi. Wherever I went I found good Guru Ki Sangat with good enough sikhi spirit prevailing in them. In the Pinds in India .. one of my relatives is even from the panj pyare. Most are amritdharis , children study at a local Gurudwara school (Khadoor Sahib) associated with Guru Angad Dev ji. In big cities like amritsar , Golden Temple there are so many sevadars. so many sevadars wake up at midnight and goto do seva in the Gurudwaras. The same devotion also I found in foreign, but some are more into unnecessary issues like "Khalistan" which I was once before and they fall from mainstream sikhi.

In anycase I just want to add that there is no shortage of true Gursikh type like the ones we had in the Guru's time. I have met such personally. People who spent all there lifes travelling from on Guru's place to another place. There is absolutely no shortage of young Gursikh Girls and young Gursikh Boys also. India is full of them.

I am also blessed with a cousin sister who came from Golden Temple and was given to us by Guru Sahibaan Himself :D

jjj bhaji...you are so lucky....it is all in WaheGuru's hands....so it is his kirpa... :D

i got a cousin in India....and he cut his hair.....and MY MOM here in europe started yelling at him,,,,but his parents do not bother.....it is so wicked.....like we try to follow rehit but folks there give a shit.... :evil:

Well, According to my experience , i have know ppl cutting their hair just to look better. They think that ppl with hair don't look so good. Which is wrong thougth they have. The other thing is this, its become very comfartable when u cut your hair. which mean u dont' have to wash it then put on turban and lot of things we do with hair.

I have a friend who was sardar. He is in usa and he was the only sardar in his school. He wasn't good at study. Recently, he cut his hair and he told me he feel very free now. Even though he is good in study now. And especially, no any girl never talked to him in his school when he was sardar. Now he told me, Girls are after him. Cuz they think that he looks handsome without hair.

This is what i wanna say, Most sikhs cut their hair to look good and to become attractive to girls.( U will know this more if u are living in punjab or have lived their)

I think this hair cutting phenomemon is more prevalent in Villages. I hardly see a fully maintained sikh coming form villages. The reason being that anti sikh prachaar is more successful in villages where people are easily lured.

The people going aborad from villages do first thing reaching alien countries cut their hair... thatz a fact. I have been vitnessed to it

yea thats right. I to have cousins with cut-hair. Tell me is there any sikh family who may not have cut-hair relatives? I dont think so. People cut there hair to look good. I usually dont pay attention at these people. Most of my consciousness or my attention is always after gursikh people, so even if there are cut-hair individuals surrounding me.. I usually am not conscious of whats in their mind and why should I be concerned about them? But there is no shortage of gursikh people and gursikh girls who want to marry sardar boys. You just need to look and you will find in plenty.