Blog: Vegruary- A month of vegetarianism

dalsingh101

24 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

Sharing this meal idea so any carnivores can have an idea of what they might eat. Got to say, tried those spicy bean burgers for the first time...and they were nice! Yummy! A bit carby though, 2 of them go over 50g of carbs. 

Anyway: Pan saute'd green beans and mushrooms with sesame seeds, steamed broccoli and carrots, onion and chive cottage cheese and 2 spicy bean burgers.  

DSCF0506.thumb.JPG.ba6d1fede8ebff48c210d

Don't worry bro. We all have days like this! lol 

What's your training saying these days? 

that looks delicious.

thanks for the images, it helps a lot in memorizing.   so saute is basically like tadka ?

13 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

Don't worry bro. We all have days like this! lol 

What's your training saying these days? 

Thanks man appreciate it.. I stopped drinking tea (i normally have one in the morning and one cup afternoon time) on thursday and was feeling withdrawal symptoms hard yesterday which is probably why i went a bit gay..lol. i was defo feeling negative yesterday.. had a bad headache and i felt confused yesterday but i asked google baba what withdrawal symptoms of coming off caffeine are and theses are symptoms.., feel a bit weak at moment...sorry thats a lie i actually feel really weak but im becoming bit of health freak since i went veg.. diet and controlling how much you eat is a game changer.. it really is..i actually spoke to a good friend of mine about the changes ive made in a short space of time and why this is happening(because it feels natural not an effort), his answer was that my previous life karams is kicking in, in terms of your bhagti habits.. It makes sense to me as as i know who i was in previous lives..when i connect the dots it makes 'sense' but not logical..lol Thanks bro, your blog has been a 'bahana' for me to do what im doing, if that makes sense..lol

Ive carried on training but i don't look forward to it...this is defo not normal, i love bag work etc, like i really enjoy it..bbut i think im on a bit of a come down from veg food and coming off tea (mainly coming off tea)...ive substituted tea with boiled milk and organic honey... deep down i've always wanted this diet just was lazy to actually make it happen, so i don't mind the withdrawals as soon it will go...also it feels like a natural process then actually making an effort, its defo weird.. i say this because ive been on veg diet before but this time its totally different and its happening quickly...its soo weird.

Dalsingh your dish actually looks tasty bro..lol.. i never thought i would say that about a veg dish..lol.. 

Oh yeh, had my first confrontational convo about going veg..friday night is take away night so when i was aksed what i wanted to eat, i said salad in pitta from chip shop..lol..thats it, it all kicked off from there..lol.. I had the same pendu questions ie "if i said to you eat this meat or i will kill another chicken what would you do?"...My answer was "im not doing it to save the behchara animal, im doing it for the benefit of my body"..lol  

1 hour ago, samurai said:

sorry veereh i will not share this as its really no benefit to anyone..its also not a big deal either.. Its not always a good thing knowing your past as you are stuck/trapped in the karam of 'now'..

everything about you is the result of your previous karam, everything..from the path you are on, to the colour you like..lol..everything is an accumulation of your past deeds.. 

Everything for a reason, no such thing as coincidence.

A even better reason to keep these things to yourself is that if you're wrong, you'll end up looking like a class A nutjob. 

14 minutes ago, Ragmaala said:

I hope we are safe on SA,  but outside hell no lol

I'm in two minds about this, as i do feel on SA you can speak openly as we are all strangers with common interest of nirankar. Saying that, certain experiences can be seen weird or unbelievable and to the average man you seem like a nutjob. But the people i'm around, its common talk to talk about past lives, its like its not a big deal (it just helps understand who, what , why you are and why you are connected to certain people) having said that others may read this and 'look' for this experience, and that's not fair either. Hence why i'm more sided with the argument that certain things should be kept gupt.

I really am in two minds, as some get inspired in their practice by listening to others experience.

DAY 20: 20/2/16

Okay, been an easy day. Had a Greek yogurt and berry smoothie  (with a  scoop of protein powder for breakfast). Also made a pot of boiled milk with various ground nuts inside (soaked almonds, pistachios, pumpkin seeds and walnuts and a teaspoon of powdered cardamon seeds) as a little protein topper. I think in time a meat eater turned vege can develop a decent vegetarian diet repertoire. It just takes time to practice though.  

Decided not to train today. 

Going to catch up with some outstanding stuff tonight. 

so saute is basically like tadka ?

It's simpler than that: just cook the green beans in frying pan with a nob of butter. Halfway through throw in the sesame seeds (optional) because if you do it earlier they will burn. Towards the end I throw in the mushrooms as they only take a few minutes to cook. 

I'm in two minds about this, as i do feel on SA you can speak openly as we are all strangers with common interest of nirankar. Saying that, certain experiences can be seen weird or unbelievable and to the average man you seem like a nutjob.

Got to be careful mate. Most people I know would be like "wtf! This bloke's a nutter, any minute now he's going get sectioned!"  Not good to get that rep! I have to confess, most people who've talked like that to me in the past, seemed unhinged. When you make disclosures like this, other blokes start to assume everything you say is mental. You've been warned. lol

1 hour ago, dalsingh101 said:

It's simpler than that: just cook the green beans in frying pan with a nob of butter. Halfway through throw in the sesame seeds (optional) because if you do it earlier they will burn. Towards the end I throw in the mushrooms as they only take a few minutes to cook. 

awesome. I will try it.  no more tudka smell haha

Back on the desi cha guys..lol

The withdrawals got too bad, yesterday morning was feeling fine but as the day got on, was feeling like sh1t. So had one cup last night and one about hour ago...'Normality' is kicking in again, i think i was going too militant with diet as the veg benefits were great and though i wanna see how it feels to be off tea.. Plus im starting new job tomorrow and cont be experimenting too much and feeling like crap at work.. 

Just a quick breakfast idea share:

Greek yogurt and summer berries smoothie (with protein powder and ground nuts). Squirted some low fat cream on top. 

DSCF0510.thumb.JPG.7d17dbf5487719f622ea7

8 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

Anyway, things were going okay today, a nice slow paced Sunday, and I was just about to start making a meal for later when I heard urgent knocking at door. I opened it to see a very elderly distraught neighbour begging me to help her. Her husband had taken a fall from the bottom of the stairs into the hallway and was screaming in pain. He'd cracked his head open. I went and saw him with a towel on his head, covered in blood. The emergency services were on the phone and an ambulance was on its way. The guy (90 years old odd) was in pain and saying "I'm dying! I'm dying! Please help me!" I heard a voice over the phone speaker telling me to compress the wound with my hand, which I did, getting my hands bloody in the process. The wounded neighbour was telling me I was doing it too hard, whilst the voice on the phone was telling me to press hard. Anyway (thankfully) the ambulance came pretty soon, and I quickly left (after giving the wife the phone to call her sons).

Will you be able to find out if he is okay at some point? I think he is a neighbor. I have so much respect for you right now brother. Thank you for sharing. 

39 minutes ago, GurpreetKaur said:

Will you be able to find out if he is okay at some point? I think he is a neighbor. I have so much respect for you right now brother. Thank you for sharing. 

I'm sure I'll find out in next few days. I'm sure he's okay. Anyway, it's no big deal. Most people would have done the same. 

For the people looking for diet tips: 

Just finished - 

2 rotis with mango achaar

Subjee made of a mixture of kala and white chana with dhaniya garnish

A big dollop of cottage cheese (to up the protein)

2 karela fried in strips (to balance heavy carb load)

Plus cup of green tea.

I managed to stick to 2 rotis (for a change), and didn't reach for the 3rd! lol 

@dalsingh101.. fair play to you mate you did a good deed, and good on you for not reacting to that c**t as hard as it may have been..

I know it's a morbid topic, but I have to get tougher with dealing with death. Can't have it shaking me up. Note to self; need to toughen the f**k up about these things. They are inevitable. Plus, been thinking about our 18th century history and how Singhs and Singhnis had to deal with death all the time, and carry on. We should take note of that. I wonder how that used to effect the kids back then?

I think most people get shaken at some point if they see or hear about death, sometimes its straight away sometimes they react after. For me every time there's been a death in my family after the initial shock/acknowledgement i'm more observant of those around me, like how do they react etc.. 

My masser passed away when i was young and it was soo scary at the time as i went to the funeral and all that crying etc sh1t me up...After that i would always ask what happens after death and i would get the typical aswer, 'they have gone to god'. But when i looked into death from religious point of view it really is important how you conduct yourself if this lifetime and even if your not a jappy tappy just by doing good deeds goes a long long way. As we all have to answer to dharam raj. 

My cousins chacha passed away this morning an this guy was a alcoholic who used to beat his wife (third marriage), i was shocked he passed away as hes only like 45, but then i thought the kind of acts hes committed, i cont see him going to god (sachkahnd) or anywhere good.. it does make you think.... I think more then toughening up to death its about acceptance, like its really real. 

p.s..ive got a blender..need to stock up on fruit. I'm abit lazy then you, as i feel you take pride in cooking etc (good on you).. 

Il do what i did before ill either have a simple banana mixed with milk

or

Loads of fruit,2-3 apples,oranges, plums, ginger all randomly mixed then mix with water to thin it..

Also i shouldn't worry to much about tea, prob just wanted to fully detox but i suppose in this day and age you have to be practical and compromise with your worldly commitments..

p.s..ive got a blender..need to stock up on fruit. I'm abit lazy then you, as i feel you take pride in cooking etc (good on you).. 

In summer, some blackberries grow in the garden - which I can use. 

Right now though,  I just throw in those frozen 'Summer fruits' I got from Aldis - so it can be easy. I've never used frozen fruit like that before, so it's a new thing for me. 

Don't take as much pride in cooking as I used to though bro! lol Used to love it, now it feels like a chore...

fair play to you mate you did a good deed, and good on you for not reacting to that c**t as hard as it may have been..

That vegetarian 'calmness' probably helped big time ! lol

DAY 22: 22/2/16

So here we are, week 4 of the experiment. The last week. I guess I should start thinking about the overall impact of all this around now. 

There were a few occasions  early on when I wasn't sure I'd complete it, but I'm pretty sure I'll make it now. Still feeling a little....something......from yesterday. Just came back from training. Forced myself to do a tiny bit, wasn't the most enthusiastic of sessions. lol

Diet has been a bit shabby today. Can't remember what I had for breakfast. Oh yeah, it was one of those smoothies. 

Got to say, the thought of eating meat seems a bit nasty to me right now. I don't know why? 

That's about it I guess. 

It's good you stayed calm bro when the shit was hitting the roof. A lot of apney would be able to handle it.

How do you mean? What do you think they would do? 

@dalsingh.. Will look forward to reading your overall impact review.  I was just going to ask, as its only a week left, is this veg diet something you are looking to carry on? Good luck either way!! 

By the looks of it, it seems like you will only benefit from meat in your training and you will not overload on carbs..

DAY 23: 23/2/16

Just finished a lovely meal with two of those bean burgers. Yummy! A lot of off-the-shelf vege food tastes gross or has egg in it. This one is nice though. It's like an aloo tikki with beans in it. Definitely try it folks, even if you're not vege. Steamed some frozen veg (from a packet) for the first time. They were a bit soft and mushy but tolerable. 

Day was okay. Had a 7 mile walk early on, which I'm happy about.

Did a little body weight training just before dinner, 100 blank squats (2 x 50), 100 press ups (4 x 25), 5 sets of mixed pull-ups and 5 odd sets of handstand push ups (against the wall). Frankly speaking I was doing more reps (and exercises) when I was eating meat. But it was an okay workout nonetheless. Got disturbed by a phone call towards the end......

Mentally still feeling relatively mellow which, given the events of recent days, is a good thing!

It's funny, earlier in the day of the neighbour incident I went to a local Pak supermarket to get some garlic, ginger, dhaniya etc for the chanay I was making and I saw this proper dhadha Singh (pagh, chitti tied dhari, anakaan) that could've been anyone's  grandpa in the back, at the halal counter getting meat. I was going to b1tch about that in teh blog that day, but then events put things in perspective I guess. lol

@dalsingh.. Will look forward to reading your overall impact review.  I was just going to ask, as its only a week left, is this veg diet something you are looking to carry on? Good luck either way!! 

By the looks of it, it seems like you will only benefit from meat in your training and you will not overload on carbs..

I'll fill you guys in on that on the last day! (or more likely 1st of the new month?) 

How's your diet going?

Your comment on eating meat only really being beneficial to training for me is an interesting one! hhmmmm