Blog: Vegruary- A month of vegetarianism

dalsingh101

On 15/04/2016 at 6:03 PM, samurai said:

Whats your training routine like??

I change it around quite often, but I made a very bad mistake in my early training by only focusing on exercises "the chicks like" eg pecs and biceps, and only doing the exercises I liked. This has now resulted in rounded compacted shoulders with a painful shoulder impingement. Now I have gone to an all round exercise routine. I have to make sure my form is perfect otherwise the shoulder aches.

On 15/04/2016 at 6:03 PM, samurai said:

I can just about do a chonkra..i  got a yoga zafu cusion which i sit on to do path/dyaan..But can imagine focus bein on hips and lower back stretches for that asan..

Yes that's it. Not long ago, I too struggled to sit in chounkra but now have no problem with it. I can almost get my forehead down to the ground now sitting in chounkra. Before I really struggled but have recently increased the frequency of my my stretching workouts. I have set my self the target of being able to sit in Budh-asan by the end of this year.

Creatine REALLY kicking in now, had one of the best (tricep) workouts in a good while earlier today! Feeling pumped. That was one thing missing on the veg diet. But then I have to retry the veg diet with creatine at some point and see if that was the issue? 

@samurai

How's your training going? 

@chatanga1..you may need to get a routine going as boring as it may seem..imbalance of muscles is what leads to injury..in some cases long term...

I tried to do stretches/yoga learning from you tube but it helps a bit, but not my thing..it realy isn't..plus im not realy too bothered about certain asans but really feel the need to be in a some what chonkra asan ..and rule i heard is the hips should be same level or above knees, hence my investment in that cusions....works for me..

@dalsingh101..ive cut down on cardio to once a week and weights as usual...ive found im still sore day after workouts..could be that i need more protein..but its a good sore not a tendor sore so i put up with it..really contemplating protein shakes... 

you may want to look into bcaa supp...

regarding your veg diet with creatine...each to their own obviously, but for me eating meat is more then protein.its the kind of person you are..and this is not a bad thing, it depends on your bhagti and your expression of this bhagti..

30 minutes ago, samurai said:

regarding your veg diet with creatine...each to their own obviously, but for me eating meat is more then protein.its the kind of person you are..and this is not a bad thing, it depends on your bhagti and your expression of this bhagti..

I was talking about something for another time. I like experimenting and learning from these things. Right now, I'm happy as heck with my diet. Regarding bhagti, I think we need to balance the bhagti (sant element) with the physical element (sipahi). We live in East London dude, and even though things are more peaceful now than they've ever been since I've been here - you know how things have a tendency to suddenly flare up. I think it's important to keep the anakh up, and although some people can do that regardless of diet, I found the meat helps me keep the fire burning. When I 'm going to do a veg diet, it'll be for the detox and to strain my body to challenge it (or lose weight, which I don't need right now). When I'm old arse and my body is completely useless for the streets - I might turn veg fulltime! lol

I think you know this already, but we NEED strong Sikh brothers right now more than ever. We've had bare people taking the piss out of our community because our lot have turned weak. I don't want to add to that 5hit. 

I might start making February a veg month - we'll see next year. 

you may want to look into bcaa supp...

I'm surprised you feel sore if you're taking this? But then you're probably doing top notch workouts or something?

Do you take BCAAs as a tablet or mixed with water? 

I'm upping my cardio a bit now, get ready for summer, summer, summer time..... lol 

Im defo with you on the weak community bit.. Too right we have to balance ourself with shant ras, other wise we wouldnt be sikhs just some tamoguni rakshus who like to eat train and kill..lol...

I will defo go veg once once circumstances are right...

OIfhW7a.jpg

main-qimg-264d4eebaf86e8143e154f1bac9d8e

Nah bro.. not taking anything..bcaa is what peoples are taking in gym..thought it might be something you may consider..Interesting thing my mate said was that only take pre supps if your feeling like shit and tired to give you a boost...which explains why i felt like crap with the comedown as i took it when i was already energized..

ok..This week i started taking pre sup and whey protein after session..Reason i started it was because cuz started bcaa this week too..so i thought f'k it, why not??

With pre sup you do pick extra weight and you feel the pump more, also before i would feel a little drained half way in to work out (of course this is natural) but with this you 'kick on' and feel like you can go on.. Ive picked up heavier weight than previous and on burns really go all out, i just get this energy..body and mind (pre sup)..

With whey,...Its just very convenient.  It helps but not dramatically. plus mine is whey and protein only 18g per scoop..i ve taken one scoop..saying that ive lifted heavier this week..

My personal opinion on pre sup, after experimenting a few times now.. I do not think it should be taken when you first start training and i feel its one on those things where you do good (maybe not best) with your natural strneght etc first, then start taking supps to 'kick' you on..like take you to next level.. Also at this point you should be coming out of workout feeling like you cannot do any more, like its got to be a proper workout otherwise you will have energy in your body, not used and not natural which effects the mind/body. Also it will effect sleep if you workout is in evening and have not trained hard.. if you start taking protein shakes and have not trained hard you can put on weight esp ones with high carbs.

The good thing about going gym is you talk to many people who can give you advice from their experience however the downside is you can start thinking if it works for them it will have same effect on me.. this is never the case, it depends on many factors, your goals, how much you lifting, your diet, how much you train, your job (is it physically demanding or just sitting on your backside pushing pen/tapping letters). I always compare these thing with path/pooja.. you can listen to people all day long about how to sit, what time, how to meditate, what manter to use etc...it does not matter as ultimately you got to figure out what works for you..We are all different and our bodies react differently to supps..i was speaking to my cuz from canada last weekend when  i was thinking of taking supps, hes a personal trainer and what was interesting was that he said for his personal workout, he only takes bcaa if he trains in the morning with out eating and only takes protein shakes the following day if he feels he needs too. ...again catering for your self (what works for 'you')..

so key thing...figure it out..experiment if you need too..talk to others but if you intuitively feels its right then do it, if you mentally not really there and are skeptical about taking such supps and want to keep natural then keep away..  

I don't think you are supposed to take pre-supps every day, but on those days that you feel too cream-crackered to train. 

I'm still just on crea at the moment - and boy does it make a difference! I take about 4 to 5 grams 20/30 odd minutes before training and my reps and weight have increased. Recovery is quicker too. 

One thing though, it takes A LOT more to feel a burn. 

Just for anyone interested, how creatine works:

The main molecule we use to provide energy to our body is ATP (Adenosine Tri-Phosphate), one of those three phosphate molecules (hence tri-phosphate) breaking off from the other two phosphate molecules is what provides the energy (which turns the ATP into ADP - adenosine di-phosphate). 

When we take creatine-monohydrate, our body converts it to creatine-phosphate and stores it into our muscle (we can store much more creatine-phosphate in our muscle than ATP). So when we use up our ATP during training, the readily available phosphate from the creatine-phosphate quickly attaches itself to the ADP turning it back into ATP - ready to give us more energy for the workout, and reducing our recovery time.  

Fascinating stuff. 

I agree that we should get to our max natural level before taking supps., and you're bang on point about people having to learn about their own unique biology and tailor their training to what suits them best based on this. 

Just came back from my brothers, and had the Panjabi hospitality experience.....samosa, pakoray, spring roll starters. Then roti with chilli paneer and saag......majorly bloated. I can see how eating that just a few times a week will turn most people into these guys...

paki.jpg

Feeling bloated as heck. Planned to train tonight, but that not happening. Feel sleepy. 

haha.. that muchar guy cracks me up big time.. you know he don't give a f'ck aswell...

I'm not taking pre sup everyday just before i train, about 20-30 mins before i get in gym.. im gonna give it a week, maybe two and try bcaa, see how that makes me feel

Thought you would be ok with veg food....i was at relatives aswell on saturday, i just beasted on chicken and kebabs then lamb with nan for dinner, perfect after gym session..felt good man..sorry bruv, not rubbin it in man..lol

38 minutes ago, samurai said:

Thought you would be ok with veg food....i was at relatives aswell on saturday, i just beasted on chicken and kebabs then lamb with nan for dinner, perfect after gym session..felt good man..sorry bruv, not rubbin it in man..lol

yum.....lol...liar, you are rubbing it in.....there's me eating aloos that are going down like lead bricks.  

You know I've got some food from that day in tubs in the fridge (they made me take it), it's lurking around in the fridge malevolently. I get scared thinking about what it can do to me...... but I don't want to throw it away and waste.

haha.. that muchar guy cracks me up big time.. you know he don't give a f'ck aswell...

Yeah, Singhs were ahead of the curve when it comes to 'dad-bod'. 

On 30/04/2016 at 11:54 AM, dalsingh101 said:

I'm still just on crea at the moment - and boy does it make a difference! I take about 4 to 5 grams 20/30 odd minutes before training and my reps and weight have increased. Recovery is quicker too.

It has made a huge difference with me as well, but on the downside I wish I had rediscovered it a lot earlier. I took it some years ago, and never went back to it. I had totally forgotten about it.

Is there anything else anyone takes?

@samurai why did you start on pre-sups?

You know what I realised from the other day.  I think it is the rotian/prontay that mess you up. If you have the same subjees with basmati chawl, it isn't as bad. 

@chatanga.. I had no intention initially, as i wanted to do everything close to being natural as possible.. I was going to introduce protein shake for post workout as my recovery was taking long..sometimes 3-4 days...Tuna can was good but got a bit sick of it...So for pre sup it was a spare of the moment thing, as cuz was taking bcaa i thought i might aswell just take a bit of pre supp aswell to keep up with him...and it felt good this time unlike my last experiment which was for my cardio and had that down feeling..imo pre sups are for weights not cardio, or better said pre sup works better for me with weights not with cardio as alot of people take presup for pure cardio aswell..

@dalsingh101 ... Ive found my metablosim has shot up with weights big time.. I had cheat meal yesterday..3 aloo prantay with double butter in morning and felt fine..before if i had more than two i would get that sleepy feeling..

that dom guy is funny as hell...watched a few of his vids..too funny... lifters v fighter

41 minutes ago, samurai said:

@dalsingh101 ... Ive found my metablosim has shot up with weights big time.. I had cheat meal yesterday..3 aloo prantay with double butter in morning and felt fine..before if i had more than two i would get that sleepy feeling..

that dom guy is funny as hell...watched a few of his vids..too funny... lifters v fighter

I think age plays a big part too. Up until my late 20s I could eat whatever I wanted and still stay thin (even like a bucket of KFC or two big pizzas! lol), then slowly, it gets more difficult. I mean I've had relatively recent periods (in my 40s) where I've done more cardio (on top of weights) than I EVER did when younger and my metabolism still isn't like it used to be. But I'm not b1tching, when I was younger I always said I never wanted to become a pot-bellied guy when older (like so many of the older generation were when I was a nipper). Now I see my brothers and how they've let themselves go in this respect, I'm glad I never stopped training. I think it will be time for hard yoga soon.   

That Broscience vid you posted is on point. I need to get back into martial arts. I think all the jumping around and flexibility would do me a world of good right now too.

Did you know that Dom's writing partner is an apna btw. Gian Hunjan. 

1 hour ago, samurai said:

@chatanga.. I had no intention initially, as i wanted to do everything close to being natural as possible.. I was going to introduce protein shake for post workout as my recovery was taking long..sometimes 3-4 days...

I have protein shake post workout. Now that I'm taking creatine, and training harder, I might start taking it on other non-training days as well. Before I started training my recovery was at least 3 days. if I missed a week then sometimes even upto 5 days. I think that is down to being an ectomorph. Ectomorphs bodies take longer to recover. Since I started creatine (1 month ago) my recovery  period has reduced to 2 days. It means I can get an extra workout in the week.

1 hour ago, chatanga1 said:

I have protein shake post workout. Now that I'm taking creatine, and training harder, I might start taking it on other non-training days as well. Before I started training my recovery was at least 3 days. if I missed a week then sometimes even upto 5 days. I think that is down to being an ectomorph. Ectomorphs bodies take longer to recover. Since I started creatine (1 month ago) my recovery  period has reduced to 2 days. It means I can get an extra workout in the week.

You should try some lighter body weight training too. 

Yeh agree with dalsingh about doing lighter weights..But it all depends on your goal..But as you mentioned bhudh asan im assuming you want to keep flexible and light so i think light weights may be ideal..

yeh eveyone is different..my phuphar in his hey day was a weight lifter, like competed and now he in his late 60's and still eats sh1t loads and drinks sh1t loads too..thing is hes not that bad in terms of his body... his shoulders are broad and his ted hangs out slightly thats it...my old man also drinks everyday , a beer and peg and his ted aint that bad at all..just pops out a bit... i mean he can walk fast aswell.lol...but good thing my bhudda does is that he will never eat till full.. i mean never.. but then theres some veges who dont drink or eat meat and can hardly walk up the stairs without getting our of breath.. weird man could never understand veges being overweight with big teds..

if you've done any sort of martial arts just get a punch bag and keep flexible...because that was one thing i was sure about with weight training this time is that i didn't want to loose my speed or flexibility (though obviously you have to compromise a little)... im defo of the opinion, have always been, whats the point looking big if you cannot fight..its deceiving..saying that i think it defo helps with weights..so best to do both..like that video you put up of man doing heavy squats then working on pads..that was impressive i must admit..What i do want to learn now is striking at pressure points in body..i missed the opportunity learning before, kind of regret it..but everything for a reason.. 

Yeh, they've smashed it...that gian has also another reality show, googled him..thats the new money making schemes for those who do not have capital..you tube channel or create an app...

my old man also drinks everyday , a beer and peg and his ted aint that bad at all..just pops out a bit... i mean he can walk fast aswell.lol...but good thing my bhudda does is that he will never eat till full.. i mean never.. but then theres some veges who dont drink or eat meat and can hardly walk up the stairs without getting our of breath.. weird man could never understand veges being overweight with big teds..

Did your buddha work on sites or something? That can help. 

Thing with diets is that they effect people in different ways. My nephew stayed with me for over a year and we were munching meat all the time (but admittedly training hard on most days as he was getting ready for his wedding), he lost 10kgs in the year. Came here looking fat, left here looking lean AF.

Then he moved back to his old man's, who keeps baba ji's beerh at home (so no more meat for him whilst living there). Boy, he put ALL of the weight back on within a year and a half on a mostly veg diet. That's one of the main reasons I tried the veguruary to be honest, I wanted to see how it effected me. In contrast to him, I lost weight.

As you know, we are all biologically unique. How something effects one person isn't necessarily the same for the next.   

By the sounds of it, looks like you're blessed with good genetics on the tidh front.

Nah man..buddha worked on markets back in the day and now driver, but one thing is he always did his pressups and desi squats(no now) so i suppose that helps.. Another thing he does eat very slowly,drinks slowly too.. i alwasy knew this had something to do with it...saying that my dhadha was lean.. but imnot sure if that was natural or cos he was well into his bhagti and ate little..

like you say individual bodies.... i wish my tidh was in good .. its flat but you cont see abs..mind you ive stopped working on them..but it pops out if i drink fizzy drinks, i get bloat..so no fizzy drinks at all for me..and in regards to veg diet, same its like my body gets sucked in..saying that, now that im in the zone in terms of training..i feel light and bouncy and strong.....not light as in veg floating in the air..dunno hard to explain

These sort of things are good to learn aswell as locks...Reason i look into this is that it does not require you to be physically fit...an you can learn these on net...but still you need to know foot movement and how to get in and out..pivots etc..

10 hours ago, chatanga1 said:

13138968_991444744280829_3654322620057399859_n.jpg

Real sexy......

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2016 at 9:40 PM, samurai said:

@dalsingh101 yeh bro i would defo recomend getting wrist support..especially if you lift heavy...even for punch bag i wrap up hands..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQF-Weight-Lifting-Supports-Training/dp/B009JH387M i use these...not bad for a fiver

Just got these the other day and used them for the first time today on some preacher bench curls. Wrists feel MUCH better for them! 

173_1.jpg

Good call. Thanks for the tip. And only a fiver too - not a lot you can get for that much these days. 

I have been taking creatine for about 5 weeks or so now. Today I did bicep curls, 5 sets of 10 reps at the weight where I was just managing 3 sets of 6 reps before I started using creatine.

I'm angry with myself for not having known and started using creatine many years earlier.

On 5/30/2016 at 8:56 PM, chatanga1 said:

I have been taking creatine for about 5 weeks or so now. Today I did bicep curls, 5 sets of 10 reps at the weight where I was just managing 3 sets of 6 reps before I started using creatine.

I'm angry with myself for not having known and started using creatine many years earlier.

How long are you going to take it for? How much do you take daily. 

As you noted, it makes a BIG difference, but a part of me feels a bit fake for using it - if you know what I mean.  

Thing is, when you come off it, you get that slow but steady slide backwards. But hopefully you will have kept a little bit of your gains.   lol

On 6/2/2016 at 4:40 PM, dalsingh101 said:

, but a part of me feels a bit fake for using it - if you know what I mean.  

i get what you mean on this but i think its fine now, as long as you can hold it down when it matters and not flap it then its all good..so basically if you look the part, be the part also..