A QUESTION ON NITNEM , 5 BANIS .. NEED ANSWER RIGHT NOW.

jjj

I have a question on this. Its been bothering me. The rehat maryada say that we should recite the 5 banis morning. I wake up at amrit vela and do my waheguru jaap. My 5 banis path is usually after sunrise and finishes mostly before 10 am. I want to know what does the rehat say on this?

1)Are we suppose to recite the 5 banis before sunrise

2)Are we suppose to start them before sunrise and it is okay if we finish it after

3)Can we recite them in the morning.. doesnt matter if it is after sunrise.. like 7 or 8 am ...

Please answer my question before the next morning begins.

u should aim to wake up between 4- 6 a clock... before sunrise... sunrise normally doesnt come later the say 8 o clock in the winter.. but i would still wake up same time as i do thru the whole yr

i wake up at 4 - half hour naam simran as im waking up n having ishnaan and then do 5 baniya... then naam simran after.. n listen to some shabads or asa di var :)

2)Are we suppose to start them before sunrise and it is okay if we finish it after

yeh thats fine

3)Can we recite them in the morning.. doesnt matter if it is after sunrise.. like 7 or 8 am ...

u should aim to wake up early as gurbani says (and rehat maryada) but if for any reason u dont wake up or other circumstances then still do your nitnem...if ur able to wake up early then u should :)

Are all the Rehat Maryada's in agreement with what specific times we should start and finish the 5 banis? They all seem to differ on everything else :roll:

Machi Bhaji, I'm surprised, 11am seems way to early for you :LOL:

Gurfateh

Nitnem = to contemplate upon the Almighty every second of the day

...the aim of Nitnem is not ritualistic recitation of Shabad at set periods of time and then forget about them.....but to "Jap" (contemplate) upon the shabads, to do "Vichaar" (to develop further and create abstractions), and seek more...

listen (not hear)

accept (through contemplation and not blind faith)

practice (through thought, not ritual)

some more info: http://www.sarbloh.info/htmls/jaap.html

Narsingha,

Okay first of all reciting of shabad is not ritualistic. Even if u dont understand anything from Gurbani, still by listenning to it with devotion or reciting it with devotion has GREAT POSITIVE EFFECT ON YOU and this was told by Guru Har Rai when a devotee asked Him if reciting Grubani without understanding has any affect.

Secondly, Ego tells me not to do nitnem.. becoz its too long and recitiation is difficult. It says do waheguru.. waheguu.. jaap or contemplate on the shabad as you said, but then see.. thats your ego talking to you. It says

"This practice is easy and this is hard. so dont do this and do that and what difference it makes, its the samething."

But Satguru has reported in the bani that there are many sevadars and people who recite Gurbani, but Satguru only likes those people who "Satguru ke agya sat sat kar mane".

Nitnem is of 5 banis and Guru Gobind Singh ji said that rehat bin sikh nahi and rehat is more pyare to Guru ji than the sikh himself. So u need to do the 5 banis.

Guest Javanmard

The simplest way (but it seems that some people are so stupid or lazy that they don't even realise it) is to look at th ethymology in a dictionary or in Mahan Kosh. DEar JJJ you don't need to bother Guruji about this! :twisted:

The taksalis are saying that dying of beard is not allowed and they also say in the beginning of the rehat that there rehat is being preserved from several centures, the time of the Gurus. Well if this is the case.. then at that time did people use to die there hair? and when did this dieng tradition really come into? So it all sounds a bit false.

Also taksalis are saying that u goto wear 2-turbans. I wanna know how many of u do that. I wear a sarupa underneath though and whats your opinon on wearing winter-caps ??

Guest Javanmard

Which Taksal? Boparai, Bhindranvale or Chawk Mehta.

One fact is sure the gaddi nashin of Damdami Taksal as a whole is Sant Mohan Singh JI Bhindranvale NOT sant Kartar SIngh, who just established a branch of the Taksal. (no offence to Taksalis! but the fact are there). Tis was confirmed by Jathedar Akal Takht Bhai Kirpal SIngh in his book Gurmukh Darshan.

The taksalis are saying that dying of beard is not allowed and they also say in the beginning of the rehat that there rehat is being preserved from several centures, the time of the Gurus. Well if this is the case.. then at that time did people use to die there hair? and when did this dieng tradition really come into? So it all sounds a bit false.

Also taksalis are saying that u goto wear 2-turbans. I wanna know how many of u do that. I wear a sarupa underneath though and whats your opinon on wearing winter-caps ??

Nobody is telling you to follow exact rehat maryada written there.

When i took amrit from takshal. They said rehat maryada helps you stay in the pool and prevent you from kalyug but they say its understandable if sikhs cant follow the exact rehat maryada written. Ie- on little things like having 2 dastars or not tying your beard.