Guru Nanak Gurdwara Smethwick Fight

samurai

What was it over? 

It's no good for kids to grow up seeing this. 

Apparently new committee were taking over and the old ones threw a fit.... Would be good if anyone could shed a bit more light on the situation..

These pricks don't think..Kids ain't gonna want to go back to the gurdwara after that man...

Guest HarprickS

Don't fool yourself!  Kids are use to this kind of behavior because they are raised by these kind of adults.  It is inherited, it's passed on from one generation to the next. No worries.

49 minutes ago, Guest HarprickS said:

Don't fool yourself!  Kids are use to this kind of behavior because they are raised by these kind of adults.  It is inherited, it's passed on from one generation to the next. No worries.

you could be on to something here, its a bit like how muslims are inherited with the incest mentality..

10 hours ago, samurai said:

Apparently new committee were taking over and the old ones threw a fit.... Would be good if anyone could shed a bit more light on the situation..

New committee coming in. Old committee being a little awkward in saying only a certain person can speak fomr the stage to inaugarate the committee. Kabaddi players called for backup from the old committee. Fight started.

Video has been removed

They have there own personal agenda's and sadly they use and abuse the Gurudawara for them.

The sangat should intervene and oust out these idiots 

These guys dont listen , dont compromise , they all think they are right in their own fantasy world.

Ive got a video sent to me on phone, so if you,dsg or anyone, want to see it ill upload it on here..but its just the same old crap with everyone shouting and giani on mic shouting wahgroo in panic which makes things worse..

Its a shame, but most gurdwareh are run by gangsters..from big to smaller gurdware..

Yeh agree dsg..gets me going aswell...what is also frustrating is that their josh should be directed in other more important issues effecting our sikh community, but hey what can you do with such people who are more upset that they are gonna have to give back their mercedes to the dealer..

do you know, or anyone, what the new young president is like.what he is bringing to the table ....as for years youths are going on about how the old committee members are out of touch but at same time time found it hard to break in to that circle..understandably so..

Lets just hope he is one who has less interest on expanding gurdware bulldings for extra revenue (wedding/akand path) and put more emphasis on parchaar, gym, social service/support etc...and hopefully have a domino effect across uk.. wishful thinking more than anything else, but you never know..time for a change

Yeh agree dsg..gets me going aswell...what is also frustrating is that their josh should be directed in other more important issues effecting our sikh community, but hey what can you do with such people who are more upset that they are gonna have to give back their mercedes to the dealer..

do you know, or anyone, what the new young president is like.what he is bringing to the table ....as for years youths are going on about how the old committee members are out of touch but at same time time found it hard to break in to that circle..understandably so..

Lets just hope he is one who has less interest on expanding gurdwara bulldings for extra revenue (wedding/akand path) and put more emphasis on parchaar, gym, social service/support etc...and hopefully have a domino effect across uk.. wishful thinking more than anything else, but you never know..time for a change

more upset that they are gonna have to give back their mercedes to the dealer. .... This killed me man :) : )  couldnt get off the floor for 5 mins LOL 

Apparently theres more to it than that ....... ( I should have asked my Dad , he got involved in it to sort it out , but they have their own agenda) 

Basically the crux of it is , 2 parties fighting over the control of the Gurudwara , Charity commission got involved and told them if they dont come to a mutual agreement then hold an election where the sangat will choose. My Dad went down and saw both parties and told them to select members from both parties , one side agreed but the other didnt . Then apparently the present party selected their own members and appointed the young pradhaan , without actually holding an election ..........I suspect the fight was because of that ,

Only had one dealing with the young pradhann , Dont really know much about him , hopefully he can make a difference. 

The thing I dont understand is , what will they gain fighting over the Gurudawara control ..... other than a new mercedes LOL 

The thing I dont understand is , what will they gain fighting over the Gurudawara control ..... other than a new mercedes LOL 

You stay there! Some of our lot will stab their own blood brother in the back for one of those. lol

ohh..so present young pradhaan is still part of the same crew..same old sh1t, different toilet..

Bruv, they make soo much money, and these people are all in it for the money...the few gems who have good intentions get kicked out sharpish.. seriously, these (most) pardhans are snakes man. the will do the best matha tekh you will ever see in your life but behind closed doors they are maha lunds man.. the fight that happened in the gurdwara was unfortunate as most of their physical battles/threats get dealt with outside..it happens all the time, hence my expression of them being gangsters in earlier post..

On 2 May 2016 at 8:19 PM, samurai said:

First time I've seen it kick off like that in a gurdwara in the Uk, normally its good old canada and US where such drameh happen..

Very spiritually uplifting video!!!! The whole episode is beyond belief and it's not the first time I have seen videos like this one!  I'll be better off watching some  horrid horror movie for frightening nightmares and dreams!!  I wonder who were  the actors and if they have been nominated for any film awards for best performance?!  Shocked!

Let's keep it real too.....

Positions of power and status that can only be achieved by strong-arming are attractive to particular types of people. More so when access to large funds are involved. These are mainly greedy types, who are borderline sociopaths. What some people here have referred to as 'gangster' types. 

The whole 'management' set up at Gurdwaras mainly seems to attract these types from what I see.

I've seen the converse too. When older, obviously corrupt, pardaans have been ousted by younger 'forward-thinkers' (who aren't really 'young' anymore to be honest), only  for those 'young' ones to become as power hungry and clingy as the people they ousted. 

Ultimately as individuals, we have to strive to keep some level of aloofness from this gundh, otherwise it can easily lead to disillusionment (for some).  

On 5/5/2016 at 1:28 PM, N30 S!NGH said:

Sad to say but there should be criminal record checks done on committee members to prevent these goons to hijack our dharam and dharamsala(gurdwara) and another thing is even more mind boggling to me - why wouldnt singhs who are doing seva of panj pyares -step up to their real duties so to bring sikhs together under one banner. Read suraj parkash granth on role of original panj pyares example of bhai dya singh ji giving updesh... its always been leadership, guidance role including symbolism role not just symbolism role that we find these days.

The whole situation in panth is absolute travesty...you dont have to look that far..the fact the five singhs who are doing panj pyares di seva cant even sit and talk in langar hall with other five singhs from different jatha shows how deep rooted- jealousy, irakha, pride/ego has affected people. I am not saying gursikhs who are doing panj pyares di seva are not there. But to uphold sanctity of the dharam and gurdwara, they should come fwd more often to set the record straight to these goons, isiolate these mobs/gangasters/hooligans, actually nail them to the wall (metaphor) and set a precedence. 

In an ideal world such events would not take place in the first instance. Lets be real, 'Singhs' are not what they were back in the day and such masands would have been dealt with swiftly.

This is my opinion (kind of judging)  in regards to panj pyare, here that im aware of in UK. Most are just giains here to do a job, the ones who come from a jatha tend to do their duty for amrit sanchar then bounce and do their own thing. Gurdwara politics is a dirty game which those who are serious about their spirituality tend to stay away from. Again in my opinion most jeeves on a some what high avastha tend to be gupt and keep out of the limelight. The only way to kick them out is probably nail them literally, which will never happen..

Saying all this i think what people can do is start small jatha (groups) to do certain seva around UK. Basics of sikhi and sikh 2 inspire are two groups which come to mind. I know people see the end result and it all looks fairy but Jugraj Singh had to go through a few battles himself in order to get slots at gurdwareh. Its his youtube channel that took off (after his own graft) and now gurdware see the benefit of him visiting (charava). However this is also a double edge sword as some start a jatha and it starts to become about them and their jatha...soo..its a difficult one

If you think children are used to this I shall give you my example. I am still Amritdhari, I have  seen this when I was 9 years old Somewhere In Canada. I started to hate Punjabi Culture, I hated to even wanted to talk to a Punjabi person. We stayed away from Gurdwara for 5 years. What effect did that take as I was growing up I considered myself to be just a Gora. I am ashamed that I was born in India. I stopped speaking Punjabi. I went on in they early adult be being a head banger but I did not leave my Sikhi. Why did I started to be a head banger because I wanted to fit in with the Goras. I did not drink with them or smoked but I kept my Sikhi intact. I did not want to marry into a Punjabi family because everyone in my eyes even to today Punjabis are evil no brains still acting like ape man or cave man. Yet Guru Jee came to teach Great Lords Religion when the dark ages were disappearing. I don't go to the Gurdwara because of the scars your father's or Grand Father's left. I prefer to stay hungary instead of going to the Gurdwara for Langar. This is why your children are moving away from Sikhi. This is why they prefer to marry into HIndu, Muslim or Christian Communities. The love in the Gurdwara seems to have left Sikhi the day Guru Gobind Singh Jee was forced to leave Chamkaur Sahib. It left even worse after Operation Blue Star because a jatha started to brain wash the people. You don't go and challenge your cousin to come and destroy the Darbar Sahib. Brar vs Brar. Your religion as an organized outfit is corrupt, evil, This is why I enjoy Sikhi to myself because you learn to love the people of the world even if have done so many worse things. This is haven outside Sikhi is Hell thank you to the Jatha that brought hate after 1984. UK is the worse place in the world because you did not blend in with the Goras. That is why there is so much racism and hate between you and your white friends. I really don't care destroy your Sikhi but it will stay intact with me.

I think the biggest problem is "us". When things like this happen we should be knocking on the door of the pradhaan and committee members , bombarding them with letters, petitions demanding an answer from them,, putting them on the spot. If they know the sangat will be on their backs if things like this happen , i'm sure they'll think twice.

On 04/05/2016 at 9:16 PM, samurai said:

ohh..so present young pradhaan is still part of the same crew..same old sh1t, different toilet..

Not that I know of. He is a good guy and the thing we have to start somewhere. Maybe the young guys can inspire more youngsters to come forward next time.

6 hours ago, DSG said:

I think the biggest problem is "us". When things like this happen we should be knocking on the door of the pradhaan and committee members , bombarding them with letters, petitions demanding an answer from them,, putting them on the spot. If they know the sangat will be on their backs if things like this happen , i'm sure they'll think twice.

Majoirty of sangat are too weak to do anything but gossip. I've seen it, been there. Even young amritdharis who give it large, but make any excuse to not get personally involved.

True, i suppose it is a gradual process and we need to start somewhere. Don't know the fella but like i said before hopefully he kick starts something. 

2 hours ago, chatanga1 said:

Majoirty of sangat are too weak to do anything but gossip. I've seen it, been there. Even young amritdharis who give it large, but make any excuse to not get personally involved.

This is the big thing,majority of the sangat do not care enough to get involved, most come on weekends and do an akhand path once a year, so these people do not want to get on the bad side of the committe, pardaan etc. Another thing is the comittee people have got a strong hold on their positions with a lot of money backing them (the old boys), im not sure if people understand the amount of money involved but with out saying any names, im sure you will guess, theres a famous pardaan who built a shopping complex/mall in panjab which is worth sh1t loads. There was a bit of 'rolla' a few years back but by that time i lost all interest in the 'sikh community'..So do not know where that ended. oh yeh..lol at young singhs bricking it..but at least they look the part..lol

Dsg  you are right as actually we have to look at yourself first and foremost but one thing is for sure a change requires a collective movement, too many have tried in their small crews and well, didn't last long.

I was flicking through the TV channels as you do, yesterday and come across Punjab Radio, who were discussing about the Smethwick Gurudawara fight. Apparently the guy who was talking "didn't catch his name" informed charity commission that due to personal conflicts and 2 parties dragging each other to courts, make sure that no Gurudawara funds are used to pay Solicitor fees otherwise charity commission will close the Gurudawara ( Now How will the normal joe bloggs know if money from the gurudawara will be used for this ?)  

Some points of thought from the discussion :-

1. Amrit should not to be taken lightly. Practice first , get the love from inside your soul , telling you, nows the time to partake in the Amrit ceremony. This way you'll respect Dhan Dhan Guru Granth Sahib ji  Maharaj and get involved in silly feuds.

2. The PANTH wants quality not quantity. The quality being , having respect for  Dhan Dhan Guru Granth Sahib ji  Maharaj , educated , having the right credentials to fulfill the duties in a Gurudawara.

3. The people who want to volunteer in the running of the Gurudawara need to be fully vetted , similar to when applying for a job. Then the question is who vet's them ?

That was the basic crux of the discussion.

Not that I know of. He is a good guy and the thing we have to start somewhere. Maybe the young guys can inspire more youngsters to come forward next time.

Sincerely hope he is , and makes some changes. But I am hearing from various people , that the current selection process is void , due to a fair election not taking place giving both parties an opportunity and the other party have informed charity commission. So I see round 2 of punch ups coming up soon on Sky box office .( anybody want any tickets let me know.. sorry bad humour )

one thing is for sure a change requires a collective movement, too many have tried in their small crews and well, didn't last long.

Very true Samurai , hopefully with Wahegurus Kirpa they feel shame in what they have done and realise the damage they have done and are doing to the Panth. I also think alot of sangat want to help keeping a low profile , just do their seva  (in and out and thats it).  But when they see this type of thing happening , they are discouraged. I also think if we know someone good in the PANTH and have some good qualities where the sangat ( young and old) can benefit .We should encourage them to come forward , as i'm sure theres alot of diamonds in the PANTH , but just need that little push. This way when we go to the Gurudawara we actually take something away which cleanses our soul. A great video by Basics of Sikhi pasted below discusses about "How Gurudawaras are run"

I've always said it, quality over quantity and taking amrit should be an expression of prem and giving your self mentally/physically/spiritually to your guru and should not be a matter of action from a guilty mind or even fearful mind. 

One thing I've always tried to push with pardhaans is the importance of having qualified social workers in gurdwara. Domestic violence/ drugs and alcohol in our community is a big problem...and one i hold close to my heart is the grooming issue, like our girls do not know where to turn, i could go on..but ill put a vid up from basics of sikhi (when jagraj breaks down a little it does hit home) which pretty much sums up the state of gurdwareh, the people in it and why our girls cannot come to the gurdwara iin their need...Gurdwara as well as a dharmshala,where we learn bhram gyan, should also be like a fort where people feel safe..

4 hours ago, samurai said:

I've always said it, quality over quantity and taking amrit should be an expression of prem and giving your self mentally/physically/spiritually to your guru and should not be a matter of action from a guilty mind or even fearful mind. 

One thing I've always tried to push with pardhaans is the importance of having qualified social workers in gurdwara. Domestic violence/ drugs and alcohol in our community is a big problem...and one i hold close to my heart is the grooming issue, like our girls do not know where to turn, i could go on..but ill put a vid up from basics of sikhi (when jagraj breaks down a little it does hit home) which pretty much sums up the state of gurdwareh, the people in it and why our girls cannot come to the gurdwara iin their need...Gurdwara as well as a dharmshala,where we learn bhram gyan, should also be like a fort where people feel safe..

Would you mind sending me the video, I'm strangely curious  now